ClubAdventist is back!

Is President Obama the Anti Christ?

I am asked this so many times because it was used in the 2008 campaign and it is all over the Internet. The answer is no. We know there are many anti-Christs. The bible describes the papal leader as the antichrist. So why do so many Adventists ask this question? Because they are looking for answers on the internet instead of the bible. One of the problems with this conspiracy stuff is people get caught up in the excitement and neglect bible studly.

The conspiracy actually draws some of them away from God. Because they are looking for human ways of dealing with a problem. God already has a plan. All we have to do is follow His plan as outlined in the bible.

I post this here because it is a popular urban legend about the current American President.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/antichrist.asp

While it's true that studying Adventists know that the real anti-Christ is represented by the papacy, we also recognize that America plays an important part of last day prophecy.

I can't speak for others, but can express my belief that the US will be a continuing leader in world affairs, leading even to the great nationwide Sunday law which becomes global.

Watching the direction America is going is a huge indicator of where the world is headed. If America loses it's core freedoms, the world will follow with abandon.

But it is an urban legend.

Lets be careful to separate well known bible prophecy from urban legends.

Wikipedia: Urban legend

Home > Library > Miscellaneous > Wikipedia

For other uses, see Urban legend (disambiguation).

An urban legend, urban myth, or urban tale is a form of modern folklore consisting of stories thought to be factual by those circulating them. The term is often used to mean something akin to an "apocryphal story." Like all folklore, urban legends are not necessarily false, but they are often distorted, exaggerated, or sensationalized over time.

Despite its name, a typical urban legend does not necessarily originate in an urban setting. The term is simply used to differentiate modern legend from traditional folklore in preindustrial times. For this reason, sociologists and folklorists prefer the term "contemporary legend".

Urban legends are sometimes repeated in news stories and, in recent years, distributed by e-mail. People frequently allege that such tales happened to a "friend of a friend"—so often, in fact, that "friend of a friend," ("FOAF") has become a commonly used term when recounting this type of story.

Some urban legends have passed through the years with only minor changes to suit regional variations. One example is the story of a woman killed by spiders nesting in her elaborate hairdo. More recent legends tend to reflect modern circumstances, like the story of people ambushed, anesthetized, and waking up minus one kidney, which was surgically removed for transplantation (a story which folklorists refer to as "The Kidney Heist".)

I think its very important that we do not spread these types of rumors. Its also important to point out the positions of the church on who the Antichrist is in bible prophecy.

• Moderators

We do know that the pope does not have a crown with VICARIVS FILII DEI on it, right? And that the identification of the papacy as the antichrist power basically stands or falls on that urban myth?

Truth is important

We know that Martin Luther taught that the pope was the anti-christ and that the Bible supports that view.

Pope: anti-christ? Yes

Obama: anti-christ? No

Pope: anti-christ = Biblical prophecy

Obama: anti-christ = urban legend

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

We know that Martin Luther taught that the pope was the anti-christ and that the Bible supports that view.

Pope: anti-christ? Yes

Obama: anti-christ? No

Pope: anti-christ = Biblical prophecy

Obama: anti-christ = urban legend

Was it the pope himself as the anti-christ or was the pope a representation of a system of worship that God was displeased with?

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I think papacy is actually a better word to use than pope. The word pope normally refers to a specific person while papacy refers to the office or position. The book of Daniel alone identifies the papacy as the anti-christ. One need not even get to Revelation.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I am asked this so many times because it was used in the 2008 campaign and it is all over the Internet. The answer is no. We know there are many anti-Christs. The bible describes the papal leader as the antichrist. So why do so many Adventists ask this question? Because they are looking for answers on the internet instead of the bible. One of the problems with this conspiracy stuff is people get caught up in the excitement and neglect bible studly.

The conspiracy actually draws some of them away from God. Because they are looking for human ways of dealing with a problem. God already has a plan. All we have to do is follow His plan as outlined in the bible.

I post this here because it is a popular urban legend about the current American President.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/antichrist.asp

You pointed that out because that was your disingenuous ploy to get that title noticed. Whatever.

If someone is biblically and historically stupid enough to believe that Obama is the antichrist then let them believe it. If people can make millions of dollars pushing that "left behind" canard, then anything is possible.

DB

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

• Members

Not only that dgrimm, I'd say anyone that is not for Christ is against him, would be consider an antichrist.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Quote:
You pointed that out because that was your disingenuous ploy to get that title noticed. Whatever.

If someone is biblically and historically stupid enough to believe that Obama is the antichrist then let them believe it. If people can make millions of dollars pushing that "left behind" canard, then anything is possible.

I am sorry if I offended you. My post and my point here is this is a widespread belief. I have called it an urban legend but it could easily be called a rumor. It is shocking to me that some of our people do believe this. I think it is important that we in our local churches address this rumor. If there are people who believe this then we need to get out our bibles and give them a bible study on the truth.

Perhaps you could ask around in your church. If so lets deal with it. Lets not pretend it does not exist. We are living in a time of deception and it is import that our people understand the deceptions.

Its far more common in the youth.

If by chance he IS the Anti Christ ... perhaps we should not be naming our churches after him.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

We do know that the pope does not have a crown with VICARIVS FILII DEI on it, right? And that the identification of the papacy as the antichrist power basically stands or falls on that urban myth?

I'm surprised nobody pick up on the implications of this statement.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Administrators

No worries, mate! THE Christ said, "Unless you become like a child..."

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Moderators

bwink Thanx.

As Laz said, be good to see someone explore it seriously, though.

On further reflection I may be wrong - in that there may be other solid Biblical clues that link the antichrist and the papacy, and it may not all turn on the mythical crown...

Truth is important

Is this thread still alive? Some people just love this topic.

I believe in Hematology.

Boy oh boy...

Some people thought prince Charles was the antichrist. After Obama it will be someone else that helps sell sensational books.

To quote George Reid. We still believe that the papacy is an antichristian power.

oG

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Boy oh boy...

Some people thought prince Charles was the antichrist. After Obama it will be someone else that helps sell sensational books.

To quote George Reid. We still believe that the papacy is an antichristian power.

oG

Many don't even among some members of the denomination.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Quote:
We still believe that the papacy is an antichristian power

If you want to call other Christian churches 'antichristian' ... you might as well call ALL Sunday churches antichristian. Why stop there. Why not just call all other churches ANTI-Christian. Why leave any out. If they differ from us and our beliefs ... just call them Anti-Christian.

Wow ... How "Christian".

I believe in Hematology.

Call George Reid. I have his number for you.

Notice that the "papacy" is the focus of Bible prophecy. To the people, God says to "Come out of her."

oG

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Quote:
We still believe that the papacy is an antichristian power

If you want to call other Christian churches 'antichristian' ... you might as well call ALL Sunday churches antichristian. Why stop there. Why not just call all other churches ANTI-Christian. Why leave any out. If they differ from us and our beliefs ... just call them Anti-Christian.

Wow ... How "Christian".

I see the word Papacy here, not "churches"?

Twilight

The best wisdom is always second hand...