ClubAdventist is back!

Powell v Limbaugh

• Moderators

"I think what Rush does as an entertainer diminishes the party and intrudes or inserts into our public life a kind of nastiness that we would be better to do without," Powell said.

Who do the American people trust and admire more Powell or Rush? Discuss.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

"I think what Rush does as an entertainer diminishes the party and intrudes or inserts into our public life a kind of nastiness that we would be better to do without," Powell said.

From his ratings I think Rush might be the winner.

Powell claims to be a moderate. Moderate what??

Whether you like or dislike Rush no one can deny his beliefs and that he doesn't change from year to year.

He is a unashamed conservative unwilling to compromise.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Members

I would say that your probably right about Rush being more popular than Powell, but I think that if they ran against each other in a republican run off, I think Powell would win. I think Powell is not a good politics kind of guy. And I think Rush is not someone the Republicans want as there leader.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

No one with a celebrity status, politician or otherwise, articulates the conservative points of view better than Rush.

Did I say Republican? No

Do I agree with everything he says? No

Do I want him to be a political leader? No

Would I want him teaching every rep and senator on the history of the US and our beloved Constitution? Oh yeah!!

Do I trust Powell? Yep, as far as I do Obama... same ilk.

(Ilk means 'same type' or 'of same beliefs' for those that want to think it's a racist remark)

I would say that your probably right about Rush being more popular than Powell, but I think that if they ran against each other in a republican run off, I think Powell would win. I think Powell is not a good politics kind of guy. And I think Rush is not someone the Republicans want as there leader.

pk

Powell is not a conservative. Being a republican the last few years is not the same. Republicans have lost their base,

You are probably right that republicans don't want Rush as their

leader,Rush is pretty equal opportunity when it comes to calling it as he sees it.

At the height of his popularity he may have been the first black president,but I doubt if he would get many conservative votes now.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

No one with a celebrity status, politician or otherwise, articulates the conservative points of view better than Rush.

Did I say Republican? No

Do I agree with everything he says? No

Do I want him to be a political leader? No

Would I want him teaching every rep and senator on the history of the US and our beloved Constitution? Oh yeah!!

Do I trust Powell? Yep, as far as I do Obama... same ilk.

(Ilk means 'same type' or 'of same beliefs' for those that want to think it's a racist remark)

Rush is far more effective as is. He is very articulate as to what the constitution means to this country.

Powell has been described as a moderate which means to me he is neither republican or democrat and that will be decided at opportune times. A moderate sits on the fence trying to figure out the most beneficial direction to jump

When Powell endorsed Obama Limbaugh said he did it only because of race. There were some very hard feelings at the time. Each of them has pretty much lost their credibility in criticizing the other. Of course Powell is only going to say bad things about Limbaugh and Limbaugh about Powell. That is expected.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:

Oh, says who? Rush? Polls? Whose polls? Accurate polls? Your opinion?

Disagree totally with your statement, he articulates nothing to my understanding of the Constitution. Oh, and I am a part of this country, since the very beginning!

What portion of the constitution does he have wrong? If Rush did not present a threat to liberals. Where there is no threat,there isn't a great deal of attention focused. From the presidency on down you have a targeting of a radio personality.

If you are a liberal I have no doubt you disagree with Rush on the constitution.

One thing I would love to see is a liberal explain the liberal view of the constitution.

Oh, and I am a part of this country, since the very beginning

This means what?

Regardless of what your view is of the US and our constitution

I don't apologize for believing that this country had a role to play. One provided by God.

This country would not have survived as the wealthy and free nation it is following the liberal view of the constitution.

We shall soon see what a socialized US looks like

Powell has been described as a moderate which means to me he is neither republican or democrat and that will be decided at opportune times. A moderate sits on the fence trying to figure out the most beneficial direction to jump

I don't agree. A moderate is someone who is willing to vote issues rather than party line.

Originally Posted By: bonnie

I don't agree. A moderate is someone who is willing to vote issues rather than party line.

In our neck of the woods a moderate is one that sits on the fence

not sure which side he is on

• Members

I agree with carolaa on this. I do believe that there are some that jump back and forth, from one party to the other. But there are those that vote on issue's, and I'd say Powell is one, so is McCain and Liberman. There are others. Than there are those that it doesn't matter what the issue is they will vote along party lines no matter what. These I have no respect for, and unfortunately its most politicians.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I agree with carolaa on this. I do believe that there are some that jump back and forth, from one party to the other. But there are those that vote on issue's, and I'd say Powell is one, so is McCain and Liberman. There are others. Than there are those that it doesn't matter what the issue is they will vote along party lines no matter what. These I have no respect for, and unfortunately its most politicians.

pk

While I have a great deal of respect for Liberman a vote for him in an election is not a vote on one issue.

If I agreed and voted on his political viewpoint on one issue I would be helping to elect a man that I would disagree with his main ideology.

It is entirely possible for a politician to vote across the aisle on one vote. That is not voting for election of someone that you do not share a political ideology with.

I don't vote democrat because I do not agree with the democrat ideology,Period.

The last few years it has gotten tougher to vote at all as republicans are only a short step away from democrats.

Sadly there isn't a party called "conservative" to vote for.

The more republicans try to tailor their ideology to compare with democrats the more frequently they lose.

I think Powell is by far trusted and admired more than Rush. A lot of people like Rush - he stirs them up, and he can be funny. But as far as trust and admiration, those go to Powell. And it would be even moreso if Powell had not gotten caught in the mess of selling the WMD idea to the UN. I got the feeling he regretted and resented having to do that, and he lost some points in public opinion over it. But I think he is still seen as more thoughtful, stable, intelligent, mature, etc. than Rush.

• Members

I agree, there are things that I like about the republicans, and there are things I have always liked about the democrats. But neither party has everything.

pk

phkrause

I agree, there are things that I like about the republicans, and there are things I have always liked about the democrats. But neither party has everything.

pk

Trying to compare the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

Regardless of what the attitude by some towards Rush is,the man is highly intelligent. Many times he has been asked if he would consider public office and the answer has always been no. It would prohibit him from speaking out. What many fail to take into account is the difference between conservatism and republicans. They can no longer mean same. Rush is a conservative and gives republicans as good as democrats.

Powell is more of a political figure.

He is personable and articulate but I personally don't think he would make a good leader.

What is surprising to me at this time is to hear the warnings sounding loud and clear by those other than SDA's.

Whether it be Glenn Beck,Hannity,Rush or Jason Lewis they could very well be taking their comments from SDA literature concerning the direction the country is headed.

It is interesting to listen to and I keep wondering if they will ever get to commenting on what they think the end result would be. It all stops short of the final actions and coming of Christ

SDA's are saying Oh No,Not Yet.

The framers of the constitution were amazing men with amazing clarity as to the role of government and the dangers brought about by not keeping government in check.

It is beneficial for those that haven't to spend some time reading their thoughts and rereading the constitution.

Bonnie, it continually amazes me how differently we see things. I was saying almost those exact things about the direction of the GWBush administration, especially about keeping the government in check.

Whether it be Glenn Beck,Hannity,Rush or Jason Lewis they could very well be taking their comments from SDA literature concerning the direction the country is headed.

Bonnie, are you implying that there is a correlation between being conservative and being a genuine Seventh-day Adventist?

I am not trying to put words into your mouth, so correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I am geting from your staement. Or am I drawing too long a bow?

Graeme

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:

Bonnie, are you implying that there is a correlation between being conservative and being a genuine Seventh-day Adventist?

I am not trying to put words into your mouth, so correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I am geting from your staement. Or am I drawing too long a bow?

Graeme

Not at all. My comment was meant as they have concerns about what is going on through out the country as in

A lot of it echos the same concerns and understanding that SDA's have. Or that SDA's held at one time. Lately it appears that some SDA's no longer have the same understanding that was held previously. That is between them and God

Someone said here that Glenn Beck is a Mormon. I do not know what the religious affiliation of the others are if any.

I know that had I not been aware a few times of the station I was on it could have been a SDA voicing concern over end time events.

It surprised me when secular programs that are describing the concerns,fear etc of SDA's. I have heard some surprising statements standing in the checkout line at the grocery store. Just your ordinary shoppers and expressing what they see as the loss of freedoms that will begin the downfall of this country.

I meant nothing other than that

Thanks, Bonnie.

That all actually makes a lot of sense. And is nothing like what I was imagining. Sorry for being obtuse.

Graeme

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: lazarus

But as far as trust and admiration, those go to Powell. And it would be even moreso if Powell had not gotten caught in the mess of selling the WMD idea to the UN. I got the feeling he regretted and resented having to do that, and he lost some points in public opinion over it. But I think he is still seen as more thoughtful, stable, intelligent, mature, etc. than Rush.

I think Powell's speech to the UN was a performance which was exactly the way his military training required of him: he said and did what his commanding officer had told him to do. I think he was extremely torn up inside while doing that speech, but he was being a good soldier all the way.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Quote:

I think Powell's speech to the UN was a performance which was exactly the way his military training required of him: he said and did what his commanding officer had told him to do. I think he was extremely torn up inside while doing that speech, but he was being a good soldier all the way.

Then that would make Powell one of very few that did not believe the reports of WMD. Most all of the critics going back to the Clinton presidency believed Saddam was a real and serious threat.

• Members

I agree. Because all parties involved knew exactly what we sold Iraq during the Iran-Iraq war. So most thought that he still had these hidden somewhere. We gave him plenty of time to get rid of them. And another reason we thought that he still had these in his posession, was we had a Iraqi that told the Bush Administration exactly where they were. But the problem was, was that he had been out of Iraq for a number of years.

pk

phkrause

I think Powell knew that their intel sources were unreliable and the administration was just using them to make a case for war.

If Powell did not believe what he said to the UN that would make him one of the most despicable humans on the planet. That would mean he knowingly tried to lead the world into a war he believed was wrong. I don't know how much more despicable a person can be than that. I don't believe that describes Powell at all. Like most heads of state and most members of Congress, I think Powell believed everything he said and was not acting as anyone's puppet.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity