ClubAdventist is back!

Obama & Healthcare

Obama To Unveil Healthcare Cost Controls

Quote:
The Politico reports that a number of healthcare industry groups are scheduled to announce that they will participate in a White House plan intended to reduce healthcare costs "by as much a $2 trillion over 10 years" through a series of voluntary measures.. But the details of how to achieve the goal remain unclear, even among the groups involved, and the savings are largely dependent on passing a broader health reform bill."

...Sticker Shock Seen As "Biggest Obstacle" The AP reports that upfront costs "are emerging as the biggest obstacle to President Barack Obama's ambitious plan to provide health insurance for everybody," noting that reports suggest such reform could cost $1.5 trillion over 10 years, based on knowledge of the "broad outlines of the overhaul" that have been released.

And the Wall Street Journal reports the Obama Administration will "propose $60 billion in new tax increases over 10 years on wealthy estates, businesses and others to make up for shortfalls in its fund to pay for an expensive overhaul of the health-care system."

The health care industry provides many of the best paying jobs in the US. One can hardly imagine a way we are going to cut health care costs without ultimately cutting the amount people working in the health care industry make. Some costs can be reduced by reforming insurance companies and law suit abuse but those alone are not going to reduce costs enough to make it affordable for all Americans. Doctors, nurses, administrators, anastesiologists, physical therapists. medical/lab technicians, pharmacists, chemists, etc will either have to take a cut in pay or a reduction in pay or Americans are going to have to pay for the care they recieve.

I support universal health care but I believe that as Americans we are going to have to pay for it. I would like to see a system with a $2K/year deductible for illness care and all preventative care covered with no deductible. That would do two things. It would encourage competition for basic illness care like office visits. No insurance company would be paying co-pays. It would also encourage people to take care of themselves by getting their preventative health screenings at recommended intervals.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

So how is this to be paid for? The government only has our money to work with. What allowances are we going to make for "government" paid health care?

Which model/which country will we model our "paid for health care" resemble?

Maybe England's is one we should have. It was kind of startling to watch on the learning channel that ambulance patients could have a wait up to 30 minutes before being brought into Er.

My cousins daughter lives in Canada. Close to Stan's neck of the woods.Both SDA's so they may know one another.

She has been having some serious health problems and is scheduled for tests. She was put on a waiting list for 8 weeks.

She can wait or come to stay with her mother and get her tests within a couple of days.

Heard on the news that there is a "rationiing board" in the UK to determine who may get expensive cancer drugs. My mother had ready access to tests,treatment and medication when we discovered she had cancer, The day she went to the DR to find out why she was having some problems,she was scheduled for tests.

One was within a half an hour of first Dr visit.

My husband is on a prescription that would be 127.00 a month with out prescription D.

We pay 7.70 co-pay insurance pays 7.50. A little short of the non insurance price because it is government subsidized . Who is taking the bath on this? How many can continue to be able to obtain expensive drugs on "government paid health care".

This is for those over 65. When all will be enrolled in a medicare type situation where will all this come from?

Maybe I am in the minority but I don't want to wait for needed tests. I don't want to be notified that a "rationing board" has determined my family member doesn't qualify.

Government runs very little in a efficient,cost effective manner. They can't handle what they have so how does anyone think they can handle a massive health care program?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

One need look no further than the VA (Veteran's Affairs) health care system already in-place and operating for years in our own country to see the level of efficiency and competence of our gov't in this existing arena.

Certainly, no one would claim that the VA system will, by some waving of a magic wand, become a model worthy of copying for universal health care for the rest of us, yet we are supposed to believe that our gov't can provide the best health care for the masses. Tell that to the VA patients, dr's and support staff (including buildings and grounds maintenance!)

I suggest that we fix what we already have before attempting to expand it. Let's make sure we can operate and maintain the compact car we already have before building the tour bus.

One need look no further than the VA (Veteran's Affairs) health care system already in-place and operating for years in our own country to see the level of efficiency and competence of our gov't in this existing arena.

Certainly, no one would claim that the VA system will, by some waving of a magic wand, become a model worthy of copying for universal health care for the rest of us, yet we are supposed to believe that our gov't can provide the best health care for the masses. Tell that to the VA patients, dr's and support staff (including buildings and grounds maintenance!)

I suggest that we fix what we already have before attempting to expand it. Let's make sure we can operate and maintain the compact car we already have before building the tour bus.

Heard yesterday that medicare and SS are worse of than had been thought. At the same time they are expanding it's role or planning on it.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

I think the idea with universal healthcare is that the government would run some kind of national health insurance program. The medical providers would still be in the private sector.

As far as Social Security goes, we should start another thread on that.

We pay 7.70 co-pay insurance pays 7.50. A little short of the non insurance price because it is government subsidized . Who is taking the bath on this? How many can continue to be able to obtain expensive drugs on "government paid health care".

This is for those over 65. When all will be enrolled in a medicare type situation where will all this come from?

That's great that the system is working for you. But many people have no insurance in this country, and some are opting not to get treatment for serious health issues because they don't want to burden their families with a staggering medical debt. Medical debt is a major cause of bankruptcy. What we are doing is not working.

Quote:
What we are doing is not working.

Specifically, that is......?

(don't worry, I have an opinion on this)

Basically, letting the insurance companies be in charge of the citizens' healthcare.

The insurance companies are in charge of paying the bill for the insured. Not for the health care received.

Many are willing to put their health care in the hands of government.

I, for one don't want a board to determine when a family member of mine has enough value to receive treatment.

Originally Posted By: bonnie

That's great that the system is working for you. But many people have no insurance in this country, and some are opting not to get treatment for serious health issues because they don't want to burden their families with a staggering medical debt. Medical debt is a major cause of bankruptcy. What we are doing is not working.

Tell me where socialized medicine is working without waiting lists and rationed care etc

The insurance companies are in charge of paying the bill for the insured. Not for the health care received.

But the insurance companies decides what is going to be covered, and what isn't. And they are sneaky about it too, like they will have in their policy that blood sugar testing strips are covered, then they only pay for 200 strips per month, when a Type 1 diabetic can easily go through 300 to 350 per month. By the way, these strips cost a dollar a strip. But see the insurance company is covered because they do "pay" for them, just not enough to keep a T1D healthy. They also do not willingly pay for an insulin pump, which gives these kids their lives back to some degree, people have to fight for them and sometimes they lose. So insurance companies do, to a degree, decide what kind of health care is received.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Quote:

But the insurance companies decides what is going to be covered, and what isn't. And they are sneaky about it too, like they will have in their policy that blood sugar testing strips are covered, then they only pay for 200 strips per month, when a Type 1 diabetic can easily go through 300 to 350 per month. By the way, these strips cost a dollar a strip. But see the insurance company is covered because they do "pay" for them, just not enough to keep a T1D healthy. They also do not willingly pay for an insulin pump, which gives these kids their lives back to some degree, people have to fight for them and sometimes they lose. So insurance companies do, to a degree, decide what kind of health care is received.

Since when have the citizens of this country become a group of people that need a life where all obstacles,inconveniences and fairness are removed.

When did it become such that a insured did not or was not expected to know what his insurance covered?

If I had a child with diabetes it wouldn't take long to find out exactly what was covered and was not.

There are other procedures not covered,that is my responsibility to know what isn't.

What would you expect to change with government run health care? On medicare we have to pay over 300.00 for my husband's yearly physical. For him and the health problems he has it is not a luvury. Tough,private insurance pays it's 20% and the government run pays zero.

In order to rule out sleep apeana ,which was critical for him,he needed an overnight stay in the hospital. Private insurance paid the 20% and we paid over 450.00 out of pocket as medicare did not cover that either.

What world do you intend to live in that runs ahead of you removing problems and obstacles?

When do we take our own responsibility? Read contracts,ask questions and know what it is you are paying for and signing?

I asked for it, I should have known better....Thanks Bonnie.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

I asked for it, I should have known better....Thanks Bonnie.

That isn't quite what I said.Parents of a dibetic child didn't ask for it as should be obvious. What is expected tho in this country the last few years is 'it isn't fair" and someone should be paying for that. ife just is not fair. Government makes it even less fair

Most seem to think that government health care is the answer to their problems. All obstacles removed by big daddy. Not going to happen and will only make it worse

Medicare is broke or soon will be. Forcing everyone on medicare at age 65 has bankrupted it.

Once the government stepped in most insurance companies will only carry supplemental coverage and no prescription drugs. Government stepped in to correct the problem they caused in the first place.They take medicare premiums out before we even see the check. If I can pay the premium they charge for medicare I could have continued to pay for private insurance with better coverage.

We are a big enough country and should financially be able to care for those that just can't care for themselves. I can't even estimate the tremendous cost to the government to pay my husband's medical cost. We are talking hundred's of thousands of dollars. How many products for a diabetic child would that have paid for that have parents that just can't?

Now we want more of the same type of incompetence. The government does not handle money wisely or economically. It isn't theirs so who cares,not enough,hike taxes.

None of this changes the fact that people are looking to the government to handle their problems. The government handling our problems is what has gotten us into this mess.

Explain the logic of the following to me.

Just got some new billing information.

Prior to age 65 my husband and I had private insurance. I was the primary holder. I paid I think 140.00 a month.

I now am paying 97.00 per month for my husband's medicare. Supplemental insurance is 143.00 per month. Prescription D is 41.00

Only the government could explain this as solving the problem or saving me money. On top of that remember the hundred's of thousands of tax dollars that went into my husband's medical care.

A few years ago I had emergency surgery and was in Intesive care for five days. I am not on medicare so my insurance paid all but the deductabile. My bill was over 80,000.00.Had I been on medicare for an investment of less than 100.00 per month, you as a taxpayer would have helped pay my bill. As it was the insurance paid and I suspect there might have been a little padding by the hospital to make up for those that cannot pay

Originally Posted By: carolaa

Tell me where socialized medicine is working without waiting lists and rationed care etc

What is the answer for people who cannot afford care, with or without a wait?

Quote:

What is the answer for people who cannot afford care, with or without a wait?

Those that need care can usually obtain it. Lower income families are covered by the state thru welfare. Sudden illness

is always covered by a trip to the emergency room. Is it tough for those inbetween,YES. But where did we get to the point that someone has to provide a answer for every problem we face?

Now we want to place it in the hands of government who has bungled SS and Medicare,giving them more to squander.

Why?

We raised four children without insurance. Unexpected can come up and does. It did for us. We made payments when our son needed surgery. My parents raised my siblings and I and never had insurance. Insurance is not a right. It is my right when I can pay or when I have done all I can before I turn to the state of fedral for help.

I think a valid concern is that even under universal health care, not everything is covered. Universal health care may only cover 200 strips per month for a diabetic and no amount of arguing with the government is going to change anything.

I think a valid concern is that even under universal health care, not everything is covered. Universal health care may only cover 200 strips per month for a diabetic and no amount of arguing with the government is going to change anything.

Then what would be the advantage to turning health care over to those that cannot solve the problem?

If as my mother's cousin said and I have no reason not to believe her,what is the point in paying an additional 5000.00 in taxes so we can be put on a waiting list.

Thru Blue Cross-Blue Shield private insurance we did not pay that much and was not on the whim of the government

• Moderators

That's pure speculation.

I have Medicare, and I get as many test strips per month as I need.

I think we should just quit quibbling, and wait till the President's plan is spelled out.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Originally Posted By: Shane

That's pure speculation.

I have Medicare, and I get as many test strips per month as I need.

I think we should just quit quibbling, and wait till the President's plan is spelled out.

The president does not produce the money to pay for his ambitious plans. The government does not make money,it takes. At the rate medicare is taking it is going broke by all accounts. If medicare is in trouble what makes anyone think that we will not be in trouble with the government handling all our health needs.

We cannot help but end up with health rationing. Then who will we blame?

The rational that says the government should pay for my husband's health needs in return for our medicare payment every month is idiotic.

Government health care should be for those that truly cannot handle it themselves or for emergencies