ClubAdventist is back!

Last Titanic Survivor

I thought they had socialized health care in England?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27221362/

Last Titanic survivor to sell mementos

96-year-old woman hoping to use proceeds to help pay nursing home fees

Video

Last Titanic survivor sells mementos

Oct. 16: Millvina Dean was two months old when she was rescued from the sinking Titanic. Now 96 and in poor health, she's selling some of her prized mementos from the shipwreck. NBC's Brian Williams reports.

T

LONDON - Millvina Dean was just 2 months old when she was wrapped in a sack and lowered into a lifeboat from the deck of the sinking RMS Titanic.

Now, more than 95 years later, Dean, the last living survivor of the disaster, is hoping to help pay her nursing home fees by selling artifacts of her rescue — a suitcase and other mementos expected to auction for about $5,200.

Last Titanic survivor to sell mementos

96-year-old woman hoping to use proceeds to help pay nursing home fees

Last Titanic survivor sells mementos

Oct. 16: Millvina Dean was two months old when she was rescued from the sinking Titanic. Now 96 and in poor health, she's selling some of her prized mementos from the shipwreck. NBC's Brian Williams reports.

LONDON - Millvina Dean was just 2 months old when she was wrapped in a sack and lowered into a lifeboat from the deck of the sinking RMS Titanic.

Now, more than 95 years later, Dean, the last living survivor of the disaster, is hoping to help pay her nursing home fees by selling artifacts of her rescue — a suitcase and other mementos expected to auction for about $5,200.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Quote:

Maybe the bennies don't apply to long-term elderly care.

• Moderators

A five minute google search makes the picture a little clearer. Don't get too exited.

You posted this because you thought it was a good thing that she sold her stuff right? She's has every right to stay in a private nursing home and pay for it herself. That's a good thing.

Miss Dean, 96, is hoping to raise some £3,000 from the sale after finding herself unable to cope with the cost of her nursing home in Ashurst, Hants. She has been resident in the private home for two years after breaking her hip.

Miss Dean told the Southern Daily Echo: “I was hoping to be here for two weeks after breaking my hip but I developed an infection and have been here for two years. I am not able to live in my home anymore.

“I am selling it all now because I have to pay these nursing home fees and am selling anything that I think might fetch some money.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4954772.ece

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

A five minute google search makes the picture a little clearer. Don't get too exited.

You posted this because you thought it was a good thing that she sold her stuff right? She's has every right to stay in a private nursing home and pay for it herself. That's a good thing.

When someone keeps assuming many times they assume wrong.

I posted it as it caught my eye concerning socialized health care. I assumed that with socialized health care the elderly were taken care of as well. No hidden agenda.......I thought they had socialized health care in England?

It surprised me that she would have to sell personal belongings to afford nursing home care.

The elderly ,here receive the same care whether it is medicare/medicaid/SS checks or private out of pocket pay

Was neither a good thing or a bad thing she was selling her things.

You did raise another question tho.

Why would someone opt to pay for private care when socialized medicine is available? Is the private care superior.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Moderators

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Quote:

People have the option of buying their own or receiving care from the NHS. Its a free country.

This may be true in England but that was not really the question.

Quote:
In this country some people chose to have care that is not Medicare/Medicade/ss checks if they can afford it, right?

No this is not right. If you have the means to be private pay you don't have a choice. Those that are,are expected to pay their way. They cannot opt for government care.

Quote:
She may like the area in which she lives, not every small town or village may have an NHS home. Her village has a population of 2,000. She may want a higher grade of service. She may just want to pay for it herself.

Are you saying that there are different levels of quality care? My MIL was private pay,her roommate was not. There was not any difference in the level of care.

My grandmother never paid in to SS and received all the benefits of private pay. When required hospitalization with ICU,her care was equal to any private pay.

Quote:
Its a mixed economy. You can go it alone or you can get the benefit of help if you need it and want it.

Can you tell me why someone on government pay needs to settle for a lower level of care?

Here we do not have the choice of the benefit of help if we do not need it.

• Moderators

If you are a millionaire in the UK some benefits will not be free. Nursing home care is one of them. Its "means tested" Those who can pay pay. Those who can't pay get it free.

If you are a millionaire you can pay for whatever nursing care that you can afford.

Private patients can end up in the same hospital and the same unit as a NHS patient.

Quote:
Can you tell me why someone on government pay needs to settle for a lower level of care?

Here we do not have the choice of the benefit of help if we do not need it.

The don't need to settle for a lower level of care. People with the means can opt for the facilities and location that they like.

Einstein

If you are a millionaire in the UK some benefits will not be free. Nursing home care is one of them. Its "means tested" Those who can pay pay. Those who can't pay get it free.

See? See?

I detest that word, 'Free'. Nothing is free ('cept God's forgiveness, love and grace).

SOMEBODY pays for every 'free' benefit that ANY gov't gives out. Even the recipients aren't getting it for free because they have had to:

1. Humble themselves before the almighty gov't teat of mother's milk

2. Tolerate the mismanagement of their lives by incompetent bureaucrats

3. Learn to scream and riot when the gov't lets them down by being late on payments/benefits or even threatens to reduce their dependency on the teat

How does that foster good patriots? Is that no longer the role of gov't? I will nag on these two questions if not answered.

So tell me what the big advantage to socialized medicine is.

Those that cannot pay in the US for nursing home care have always had it provided. Those that can pay are expected to.

Quote:
See? See?

I detest that word, 'Free'. Nothing is free ('cept God's forgiveness, love and grace).

SOMEBODY pays for every 'free' benefit that ANY gov't gives out. Even the recipients aren't getting it for free because they have had to:

People seem to believe the government is a money making enterprise and offers "free" out of the goodness of their hearts and and their profit.

Government does not make money,it takes money. Then offers "free" at a more expenisive price than the market driven economy.

Quote:
1. Humble themselves before the almighty gov't teat of mother's milk

2. Tolerate the mismanagement of their lives by incompetent bureaucrats

3. Learn to scream and riot when the gov't lets them down by being late on payments/benefits or even threatens to reduce their dependency on the teat

How does that foster good patriots? Is that no longer the role of gov't? I will nag on these two questions if not answered.

Good patriots is not required,only a belief that the government cares and will take care of them.

Even tho my husband's health care is more expensive with the "government savings and interference" I should be grateful for medicare and the govvernment interference in our lives

A few years ago my mother's cousin and husband were paying an additional 5,000.00 per year in taxes for their "free Canadian health care.

My husband and I had Blue Cross -Blue Shield at under 5,000.00 a year.

When this woman's husband began having problems that was not readily identified he was put on a rather long waiting list for tests.

His wife,believing his problems were not minor brought him to the US.

He went from the clinic to Mayo clinic within a couple of days. It was found that he had rapidly growing cancer and was scheduled for surgery and followup chemo within 24 hours.

Why do I want to give up the care we have for waiting lists,sometimes dangerous waiting lists?