ClubAdventist is back!

Commandment #5 and Politics

... first read the article... Then stick with me on this...

From the Associated Press... 5-22-09

Quote:
WAUSAU, Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin jury has found a mother guilty of second-degree reckless homicide for praying while her sick daughter died instead of seeking medical help.

A Marathon County jury on Friday convicted 41-year-old Leilani Neumann of Weston in the death of her 11-year-old daughter Madeline. The girl died from untreated diabetes at their rural home on March 23, 2008.

Prosecutors say a reasonable parent would have known something was wrong with Madeline. They say her mother recklessly killed her by ignoring obvious symptoms, such as her inability to walk or talk.

Neumann told a detective in a videotaped interview during her trial that the Lord was going to take care of her daughter and all she needed was prayer.

Neumann faces up to 25 years in prison.

(this thread could have been posted on many forums, but I chose this one)

Quote:
"Honor thy father and thy mother; that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee".

Parents are entitled to a degree of love and respect which is due no other person. God Himself, who has placed upon them a responsibility for the souls committed to their charge, has has ordained that during the earlier years of life, parents shall stand in the place of God to their children. And he who rejects the rightful authority of his parents is rejecting the authority of God. The fifth commandment requires children not only to yield respect, submission, and obedience to their parents, but also to give them love and tenderness, to lighten their cares, to guard their reputation, and to succor and comfort them in old age. It also enjoins respect for ministers and rulers and for all others to whom God has delegated authority.

This, says the apostle, "is the first commandment with promise." Ephesians 6:2. To Israel, expecting soon to enter Canaan, it was a pledge to the obedient, of long life in that good land; but it has a wider meaning, including all the Israel of God, and promising eternal life upon the earth when it shall be freed from the curse of sin. (Patriarchs and Prophets, page 308)

In the light of that message:

How far should the state go in being involved with the raising and caring of our children?

Does this mother deserve conviction and punishment by the state?

In the taking away of the mother's responsibility, isn't the state assuming that they can do a better job?

How does the 5th commandment relate to Children & Youth services and foster care?

I have more questions, but let's start here.

but then the government does have a right

to make sure children are cared far and

given treatment for health reasons....

Gov't has a 'right'? Let's say that is true for the sake of argument... how far does that 'right' go?

but then the government does have a right

to make sure children are cared far and

given treatment for health reasons....

I believe it would be more correct to say the government has an obligation to care for it's citizens.

Graeme

PS

Timewarp, your question as to the extent of this obligation is still pertinent.

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As a former foster dad, I have changed my views on the state's policies regarding removing children from their homes.

Expand on this a bit, tw.

I for one am interested in hearing your story.

Graeme

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Members

Yea you can add me to the list of wanna knows. :)

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Give me time... I tend to overwrite when I get started, so it'll take some rewrites to translate the opinion into a cohesive read.

• Members

Yea but sometimes it takes overwriting to get across what you want to say, and you seem to do a good job of that.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I find it interesting that the people who are the strongest against abortion are usually the same people who say the government shouldn't get so involved in protecting children.

I find it interesting that the people who are the strongest against abortion are usually the same people who say the government shouldn't get so involved in protecting children.

Are you aiming at anyone in particular?

Just so I'm on the record... I am against GOV'T FUNDED abortion.

I believe the mother has the right to choose, although I personally wouldn't typically recommend that procedure to a pregnant female. I am a major advocate for adoptions as a great alternative to many child-related problems.

Quote:

Just so I'm on the record... I am against GOV'T FUNDED abortion.

Quote:
I believe the mother has the right to choose, although I personally wouldn't typically recommend that procedure to a pregnant female. I am a major advocate for adoptions as a great alternative to many child-related problems.

The mother has the right in most cases to not engage in the process that creates a child. She also has the right to refuse to take care of and rear this child to adult hood.She can give the baby up for adoption.

She has (at least from what I was told) the life of the mother came first before Ros VS Wade. I could have had a abortion in 1965 because of a great threat to my life or health.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman