ClubAdventist is back!

World Powers Agree on UN Sanctions Against North Korea

Neil D

By VOA News

11 June 2009

United Nations Security Council (File)

Seven world powers on Wednesday agreed on a draft U.N. Security Council resolution to expand sanctions against North Korea for its recent underground nuclear test and a barrage of missile tests.

The draft resolution condemns North Korea's tests as a violation of previous U.N. resolutions and imposes additional sanctions, including cargo inspections, a total arms embargo, and stronger financial sanctions. China reportedly resisted making the cargo provision mandatory.

The text is the product of weeks of intensive negotiations among the five permanent council members - Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States - as well as non-permanent members Japan and South Korea.

U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice, who led the negotiations and presented the draft to the full 15-member council, said the proposed resolution sends a "very strong, very credible and very appropriate" response to Pyongyang's actions.

The draft resolution is now in the hands of the other nine council members, who will review the document with their governments. The full Security Council is expected to put the resolution to a vote before the end of this week.

Russian ambassador Vitaly Churkin said the draft is good, balanced and well-targeted. He said that although no member likes to sanction another, it is necessary in this case, because North Korea poses a real nuclear risk.

U.S. officials have indicated that Washington may also impose unilateral financial sanctions against North Korea.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates told reporters in Brussels Thursday it does not appear the regime is making preparations to launch a military strike in retaliation to the proposed U.N. sanctions, despite despite Pyongyang's previous threats.

But Gates says North Korea's unpredictable nature makes it impossible to dismiss the threats.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Members

I believe you are correct dgrimm.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

North Korea seems to be beating its chest saying. Look at me. I am a nuclear power. Didn't think I could do it did you. Now you guys had better take me serious now or I will nuke you all.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Like a child with a big new toy. Only this one can kill millions. The world is not impressed. One nuke from the west can take out its entire base and half the country. not that we would do it but we do not brag about that. Everyone knows we could. That is enough.

riverside.gif Riverside CA