ClubAdventist is back!

Letterman steps in it...

I guess we shouldn't be suprised at the degrading nature of man, but that comment of his regarding Todd & Sarah Palin's 14-year old daughter is just wrong. Wrong.

I'll bet a dollar that Letterman wouldn't say that to Todd Palin.

regards,

oG

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bonnie

• Dr. Shane

• carolaa

• Tom Wetmore

Proverbs has something to say about people who speak just because they "can."

It was a really dumb joke, and he has admitted such. I can understand why it was upsetting to the Palins, but now they need to let it go. They are making themselves look foolish by keeping it going, imo.

What comment?

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

I am sure that Letterman would love the Palins to boost his sagging ratings. I doubt they will fall for that trap. They certainly haven't fallen for the spin that Letterman was talking about the 18 year old. It would have been kind of hard for A. Rod to knock up the 18 year old at the ballgame when she wasn't at the ballgame. It would be better spin for him just to admit that he doesn't write his own jokes and blame it on his writers. The National Organization of Women (NOW), a liberal group which did not endorse McCain/Palin, is calling for Letterman to apologize.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Probably wouldn't even say it to Sarah Palin's face because she would probably slap his.

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: olger

Probably wouldn't even say it to Sarah Palin's face because she would probably slap his.

I probably won't ever watch Letterman again. People like Johnny Carson would never have said things like that or the great comedians of the past. I'm not including Lenny Bruce or that type.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

What I find a greater outrage than the statutory rape comment is the flight attendant comment. I mean it isn't enough that he calls A. Rod a statutory rapist but then he goes on to call flight attendants the "S" word. And why is he calling Governor Palin the "S" word? Because she is a woman? Is that what he thinks of women? I mean Palin has never been caught in adultery. What basis does Letterman have for calling her and flight attendants the "S" word? It is no wonder that NOW is demanding an apology. This goes beyond Palin and politics. It is an attack on women.

• Moderators

All I've heard is commentary on what Letterman said, but I've never actually read or heard what he said. Maybe it's just as well.

LD

LD

Same here. I seldom watch the late nite shows. Occasionally Leno would have a guest I was intrigued by, or Letterman. That only happens every so often.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

Let it go?

Would you be so forgiving had it been Rush Limbaugh, and the target Obama's wife and young girls?

I hardly think so.

Let's put it this way: Don Imus said some really stupid, off-the-cuff and unscripted remarks about a young women's basketball team.

He did an apology tour, met with the team, met with Al Sharpton - and still lost his job (as well as he should have).

David Letterman spoke his trash, has offered a back-handed apology, waddled around in saying his joke was mis-directed, and finally went to the very indefensible "I'm a comedian, and Sara DID bring them into the spotlight" corner.

No attempt to make it right. No attempt to go to the Palin's on their ground and apologize.

And people should just "let it go..."?

Again, I can only imagine what the reaction would have been had the political tables had been reversed, as I noted above. It would not be, "Just let it go".

No, I think the skunk named Letterman should be fired...along with the writer who scripted the joke.

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

Ummm....

Johnny Carson was a pretty class act. He didn't make this kind of angry, bitter political "humor" his staple, as Letterman has for the last several years.

Yes, he poked at the politicians of his day - but he was not mean-spirited about it. His jokes about Nixon (Watergate, the economy), Gerald Ford (clumsy), Jimmy Carter (piety and the economy), Tip O'Neill (drinking, relationship with Reagan), and Ronald Reagan(age, military, and relationship with Tip) always had a basis in fact with the funny twist - an art that appears to have gone to the grave with Johnny. Johnny Carson poked fun at every major political player on the scene at the time - not just a certain "undesireable" party.

Can anyone give a basis in fact for Letterman's "jokes" about the Palin women? Other than the smear that has propagated by political opponents for months now?

Letterman has spoken nothing but trash, targeting only his political opposites, for years now. I don't watch him - he's not been funny for over 15 years.

I think I'll roll on...it's pretty clear how I feel about it all.

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

In all fairness, Johnny Carson didn't have to deal with today's super fast IT networks, internet, 200 + cable subscriptions. Back then if you said something stupid it traveled at snails pace.

Frederick Douglass

That's true, Kountzer.

Neither did he have to operate in today's hyper-partisan atmosphere.

The late 70's and the 80's were tame compared to the stuff going on today.

So I can keep my fond memories???

Interesting comments here.....

Some of you guys don't remember some of Bob Hopes bombs directed toward politicians...As well as Johnny Carsons, and others....Your selective memories are being selective for the "good ol' days", which were never really that good.

Rush has been doing poor entertainment for nearly 20 years now....and is just as stupid as Letterman's jokes...Letterman's jokes are white trash humor...and I didn't appreacite them either....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Neil,

I may have an old selective memory, but when I watch some of the old movies and stand-up routines of those men, I find what passed for "bombs" back then really are rather tame by today's standards (overall - I sure you could probably pull out a couple of real political doozies, but they are still quite a bit more tame than the political "humor" in circuit today).

Rolling...

Ted,

You really don't remember when Bob Hope commented about Watergate and the audience booed. You don't remember when he talked about Goldwater? and LBJ was a ripe target...in each case, among his jokes that gained him laughter, there were a few that always got boo's...I vaguely remember Johnny Carson complaining about the 'hard crowd that we have on tonight"....The point here is that they all are learning, and so is the audience...Commedians are finding it harder to make people laugh...even when the political Palins, Clintons, Huckabees, Bushes, et al. make it easiey for them....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Ahhh, you be behind the times...He wasn't speaking about the 14 y/o, rather the 18 y/o. Of course, we should never let the facts get in the way of equally salacious rumor.

He also invited both to appear on the show.

The daughter that went to NY was the 14yr old, not the older one.

g

I agree. Over the years I've heard Rush Limbaugh vocalize some character assasinations that were just as bad if not worse than anything Letterman had to say. And the eye opening shocker was the folks on the right had nothing to say about it.

Also John Mccain once said that Chelsea Clinton was the love child of Hillary and then attorney general Janet Reno. I didn't hear much of an uproar about that either.

DB

Frederick Douglass

Bryan Texas? I haven't spent much time in that place, but that was my dad's hometown. If you run across some African americans with the surname Bishop there's a good chance I am related to them somehow.

I am sure I also have some relatives around there from the other side of the tracks, so to speak, but that's a whole different Oprah Winfrey show.

DB

Frederick Douglass

• Administrators

Well... Not to excuse Letterman for being in bad taste, etc. BUT I hear no outrage at the equally derogatory retort by Sarah Palin in response to his invitation to be on the show. She essentially accused him of being a pedophile. She said that it wouldn't be safe for Willow (the 14 year old daughter) to be around him.

I am sorry, but Sarah lost the high ground and didn't just fail to take the high road, but got down in the gutter herself. Shame on her...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Well... Not to excuse Letterman for being in bad taste, etc. BUT I hear no outrage at the equally derogatory retort by Sarah Palin in response to his invitation to be on the show. She essentially accused him of being a pedophile. She said that it wouldn't be safe for Willow (the 14 year old daughter) to be around him.

I am sorry, but Sarah lost the high ground and didn't just fail to take the high road, but got down in the gutter herself. Shame on her...

I would not want my teenage granddaughters to be around the type that is so limited in intelligence that thinks it funny or or can offer excuses for that.

So what is in the gutter about stating what Sarah Palin did?

Wonder why Letterman feels so threatened by a attractive woman of a opposing political ideology?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Over the years I've heard Rush Limbaugh vocalize some character assassinations that were just as bad if not worse than anything Letterman had to say.

Rush Limbaugh has certainly said some bad things but two wrongs certainly do not make a right. And when Limbaugh has made such statements there has been a justifiable uproar about them.

1. Letterman is on CBS. It is one of only a handful of publicly broadcast networks.

2. Letterman basically declared all flight attendants as being the "S" word.

3. Letterman said a popular major league baseball player was a pedophile.

I think he owes an apology to all flight attendants and Alex Rodriguez too. He should lose his job.

I don't know what the fallout will be for Letterman as a result of this. He is after all a late night host/comedian. He attacks people like this all the time, only this time he chose a known political figure.

Frederick Douglass