ClubAdventist is back!

Obama still puffin'

The subsidies should stop so that farmers would be encouraged to grow other crops. I have no problem with the high cigarette tax. I think that is a good idea. I do have a problem with the government suing cigarette companies for making a product that the same government gives them a license to produce.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:
The subsidies should stop so that farmers would be encouraged to grow other crops. I have no problem with the high cigarette tax. I think that is a good idea. I do have a problem with the government suing cigarette companies for making a product that the same government gives them a license to produce.

Why should tobacco farmers be taxed anymore than vineyard owners?

Last I heard alcoholism can destroy marriages,kill innocent people and addict users.

Higher than usual taxes is still trying to punish a industry that is legal and supported by the same government.

Personally I would like to see it taxed out of existence,but not supported with my tax dollar while doing it

I have more respect for a company honestly making a product and letting users of that product know how bad it is than those in the federal government that condemns and taxes the "evil product"

Quit supporting with our tax dollar while adding more tax to be paid by those using the legal product.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

A high tax is placed on alcoholic beverages too. Some industries we allow to be legal so that we do not create a black market for the product by making it illegal. Tobacco and alcohol are tow prime examples. The tax is not directly on the farmers. It is directly on the consumers. The farmers are capable of growing other products. It is not as if they own fields that can only grow tobacco. They can grow corn, soy, wheat, cotton or any other product that their region allows.

• Members

Well I just found out, talking to by brother, who works for the FDA. The FDA just now, in the last week or so, got control of the smoking industry, what ever that means, his words. He's not in that department, but he says that they are suppose to regulate them. He's not sure how the government thinks that they can regulate them. But he says that if they allow them to do what they do, he thinks that they will most definitely take cigarettes of the market.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Well I just found out, talking to by brother, who works for the FDA. The FDA just now, in the last week or so, got control of the smoking industry, what ever that means, his words. He's not in that department, but he says that they are suppose to regulate them. He's not sure how the government thinks that they can regulate them. But he says that if they allow them to do what they do, he thinks that they will most definitely take cigarettes of the market.

pk

Bet they don't. Can't see the government giving up the tax revenue tobacco brings in.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Actually I think the states get more tax revenue from tobacco than the federal government does. Banning cigarettes would hurt the states more than the federal government.

Actually I think the states get more tax revenue from tobacco than the federal government does. Banning cigarettes would hurt the states more than the federal government.

Federal and state taxes on cigarettes are pretty close.

For all the hand wringing I doubt either is ready to give up a cash cow.

The health risks and the legitimate reason to ban have been known for years.

I guess I missed the increase that just happened this year. Federal cigarette taxes use to be 39 cents/pack compared to many states that are above $2/pack. There were only a handful of states, mostly southern, that taxed cigarettes less than the federal government. However this year there was a giant federal tax increase that increased the tax to $1.01/pack. I hadn't seen that news and since I don't smoke it was easy to miss.