ClubAdventist is back!

Deep Packet Inspection

carolaa

yesterday, the Wall Street Journal reported that the Iranian government had secured this system from a German and Finnish company that will look through everything, both land line telephones, mobile telephones, email, websites, looking for keywords and actually monitoring the entire traffic going through one chokepoint in Iran. It’s been disputed by the European company, but the validity of the report seems solid.

What’s scary about this is that this technology that monitors everything that goes through the internet is something that works, it’s readily available, and there’s no legislation in the United States that prevents the US government from employing it. And that’s what’s really the cautionary tale here.

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/6/23/deep_packet_inspection_telecoms_aided_iran

• Members

Sounds pretty interesting, and you can't believe anything that they say.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

ah...we have been doing that for a long time and its not a secret!

Yes, the program for the Internet is (or was) called "Carnivore" if I am not mistaken, and is used when ever certain "national security risk" key phrases are found in communications.

If what is said about this program is true, the powers that be can access/hack one's computer (if hardwired in via cable or satellite) and read/copy anything there. Most passwords and firewalls are pretty much swept aside.

All done very subtily, quietly. Pretty much have to be deep in the hacking scene to know how to detect if you're being watched, let alone defend against it.

I figure Big Bro is much like a thief: if they want in bad enough, they're finding a way in.

If my daily routine stuff is of interest to the NS figures, they must be really bored!

Though DHS DID send out that memo a while back... ayeyiyi

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

• Administrators

There is commercially available software that can be used to monitor computer usage for home use or by employers to monitor interent/e-mail traffic. Once installed on the target computer, it is virtually undetectable and records/logs everything. It does not appear in the registry or any file/program list on the computer and cannot be detected by any spyware detection software. The data is transferred to a internet based data site where it can be retrieved remotely from any other computer with internet access. Once installed on the target computer there is no further need to access that computer directly. The software can be managed remotely and set to flag key "alert words", control access to programs and websites.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)