ClubAdventist is back!

Freedom Eden

http://freedomeden.blogspot.com/2009/07/robert-gibbs-helen-thomas-and-chip-reid.html

THOMAS: I'm amazed -- I'm amazed at you people who call for openness and transparency

Yes it is from a blog . It also has made the news and other online sources.

Robert Gibbs, Helen Thomas, and Chip Reid (Video)

At Wednesday's press briefing, Robert Gibbs tried to laugh off the fact that the press is calling out the Obama White House for exerting a disturbing control over the questions being asked by the public at town hall meetings and scheduled events.

Gibbs giggled about the planted question from the Huffington Post's Nico Pitney at Obama's June 23 news conference.

Chip Reid and Helen Thomas didn't let up on Gibbs. He just kept giggling, but Reid and Thomas were serious.

Gibbs' laughter wasn't a sign that he was relaxed and confident. He was squirming.

The Obama and his administration is exposed once again as being other than what it claims to be.

Open? Honest? Transparent?

Yeah, right.

Transcript

CHIP REID: At today's town hall meeting, questions coming in on YouTube and Twitter and such -- who decides what questions will be asked?

ROBERT GIBBS: I think a group over at New Media is shuffling through questions. I think if you go on -- I did not do this today, but I think if you go on our Web site you'll see some of those questions. And I think, Chip, at the end of the day, when you -- I think the questions that will be read to the President -- obviously he'll take some questions from the audience there -- I think will be a representative sample of the issues in this debate that we're dealing with.

REID: And the audience is all preselected, right?

GIBBS: No, we usually just generally hand out tickets on a first come, first serve basis.

REID: Well, I think in this case, the people were invited either by the White House or by the university -- I mean, invited by this community college, as it was explained to us.

GIBBS: Well, if the university is --

REID: It just feels very tightly controlled. It feels -- I mean, the concept of a town hall I think is to have a open public forum, and this sounds like a very tightly controlled audience and a list of questions. Why do it that why? Why not open it up to the public?

GIBBS: How about we do this -- how about you can ask me that question tomorrow based on what questions were asked rather than preselecting your question based on something that may or may not come through.

REID: But why pre-select? Why not just open it up for people and allow any question to come in?

GIBBS: Well, Chip, I think if you get on your computer from your e-mail address --

REID: I have. I have.

GIBBS: Have you sent in your question?

REID: I think that would be inappropriate. This is for the public.

GIBBS: I'm sorry, I'm confused -- are you not a member of the public?

REID: Well, I think if you were going to allow questions from the press you'd have us in a prominent position over there and allow us to ask questions -- you haven't done that.

GIBBS: Let's not get into the notion of where you'd be sitting -- (laughter) -- if I let you ask a question, but --

REID: Well out of shouting range.

GIBBS: Well, but you could e-mail.

REID: Would you put my question in there? I don't think so.

GIBBS: Maybe. Have you e-mailed?

REID: I mean, this is a town hall.

GIBBS: It's a little -- if you haven't e-mailed.

REID: This is an open forum for the public to ask questions, but it's not really open.

GIBBS: I couldn't agree more.

REID: But it's not open.

GIBBS: Based on what?

REID: Based on the information that your staff gave us on how the audience and the questions are being selected.

GIBBS: The questions are being selected by people that e-mail on Facebook and Twitter.

REID: Well, they're not deciding what questions actually get in.

GIBBS: Well, Chip, I appreciate, again --

REID: It just feels completely controlled --

GIBBS: I appreciate, again --

REID: -- in a way unlike his town meetings all the campaign and --

GIBBS: I appreciate the pre-selected question on your part.

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: Will there be dissenting views --

REID: Yes, how about that?

GIBBS: I think that's a very safe bet. But, again, let's -- how about we do this? I promise we will interrupt the AP's tradition of asking the first question. I will let you ask me a question tomorrow as to whether you thought the questions at the town hall meeting that the President conducted at Annandale --

REID: I'm perfectly happy to --

HELEN THOMAS: That's not his point. The point is the control --

REID: Exactly.

THOMAS: -- we have never had that in the White House. And we have had some, but not --

REID: This White House.

GIBBS: Yes, I was going to say, I'll let you amend her question.

THOMAS: I'm amazed -- I'm amazed at you people who call for openness and transparency and --

GIBBS: Helen, you haven't even heard the questions.

REID: It doesn't matter. It's the process.

THOMAS: You have left open --

REID: Even if there's a tough question, it's a question coming from somebody who was invited or was screened, or the question was screened.

THOMAS: It's shocking. It's really shocking.

GIBBS: Chip, let's have this discussion at the conclusion of the town hall meeting. How about that?

REID: Okay.

GIBBS: I think --

THOMAS: No, no, no, we're having it now --

GIBBS: Well, I'd be happy to have it now.

THOMAS: It's a pattern.

GIBBS: Which question did you object to at the town hall meeting, Helen?

THOMAS: It's a pattern. It isn't the question --

GIBBS: What's a pattern?

THOMAS: It's a pattern of controlling the press.

GIBBS: How so? Is there any evidence currently going on that I'm controlling the press -- poorly, I might add. (Laughter.)

THOMAS: Your formal engagements are pre-packaged.

GIBBS: How so?

REID: Well, and controlling the public --

THOMAS: How so? By calling reporters the night before to tell them they're going to be called on. That is shocking.

GIBBS: We had this discussion ad nauseam and --

THOMAS: Of course you would because you don't have any answers.

GIBBS: Well, because I didn't know you were going to ask a question, Helen. Go ahead.

THOMAS: Well, you should have.

REID: Thank you for your support.

GIBBS: That's good. Have you e-mailed your question today?

THOMAS: I don't have to e-mail it. I can tell you right now what I want to ask. (Laughter.)

GIBBS: I don't doubt that at all, Helen. I don't doubt that at all.

Of course, the White House is controlling its town hall meeting participants and their questions.

Obama can't handle it any other way.

It's staged [censored].

It makes sense why Obama refused to accept John McCain's invitation to appear together at a series of town hall meetings during the 2008 campaign.

I hope the next time Obama meets the press, reporters are as tough on him as they sometimes are on Gibbs.

It's time for Major Garrett to get some help from his colleagues.

Posted by Mary at 7/01/2009 05:49:00 PM

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

I wish Obama were more transparent, but it's not like he's the first President to control a press situation.

It really doesn't matter if he is the first. Each president is responsible for his actions. When will Obama be held accountable for Obama's action. Will he ever grow into the job?

Obama is the one that made an issue out of transparency and has failed to deliver al the way around.

New bills were supposed to be posted for five days,big joke.

The ones voting on any issue have not been able to read what is in it.

Maybe that is why several million went to helping chinese prostitutes drink more responsibly while "on the job"

Now that is a worthy use of hard earned taxpayer dollar.

Maybe it should have gone to feed hungry children instead of thirsty chinese prostitutes

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quote:
I wish Obama were more transparent, but it's not like he's the first President to control a press situation.

Helen Thomas says otherwise

Quote:
THOMAS: -- we have never had that in the White House.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Can you name a time or a president that has caused someone like Helen Thomas to make that accusation directly to the president?

Or is this your own assumption

• Administrators

I suppose Hellen Thomas saying that Bush was the worst president in American history might go in that general direction.

Of course, specifically her persistence in trying to get Bush to be more forthcoming about the war in Iraq resulted in the Bush Administration moving her to the back of the press room away from the front row seat she had occupied through many previous administrations.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Members

Interesting Tom, I didn't know that.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

Originally Posted By: carolaa

...When will Obama be held accountable for Obama's action...

...Maybe that is why several million went to helping chinese prostitutes drink more responsibly while "on the job"

Now that is a worthy use of hard earned taxpayer dollar...

OK. Let's be clear who is responsible for this questionable use of US taxpayer money. This is an NIH grant that was approved back in November, 2008, according to the FoxNews report. That puts it under a Bush Administration approved expenditure of our taxpayer dollars. So don't tag it on Obama.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Members

Another interesting bit of info.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Originally Posted By: carolaa

Can you name a time or a president that has caused someone like Helen Thomas to make that accusation directly to the president?

My own assumption? I fear you are twisting my words again.

I said Obama was trying to control a press situation. Just because Helen Thomas said that has never happened at the White House before doesn't make my statement incorrect.

Quote:

I said Obama was trying to control a press situation. Just because Helen Thomas said that has never happened at the White House before doesn't make my statement incorrect.

It does not make your statement true either. Helen Thomas would certainly be able to recall if another presidency had behaved in this manner

I asked you a question. I did not say it was,I asked if this was your own assumption.

So please show me where I was twisting your words.

Can you in fact name a time Helen Thomas made that type of statementbefore. If not is this your assumption?

Helen Thomas went so far as to put the Nixon administration on a higher level of trust in this department than Obama and his administration

Quote:
I suppose Hellen Thomas saying that Bush was the worst president in American history might go in that general direction.

Your supposition is incorrect. What Helen Thomas thought of a president in general is neither here nor there. What her opinion of the Iraq war is her opinion.Helen Thomas made a direct statement concerning a specific problem with this "townhall" meeting.

Quote:
Of course, specifically her persistence in trying to get Bush to be more forthcoming about the war in Iraq resulted in the Bush Administration moving her to the back of the press room away from the front row seat she had occupied through many previous administrations.

This does not specifically address the issue either. Helen Thomas was specifically addressing another issue altogether.

She is not generally thought to be a critic of Obama, in fact it has been stated she is the symbol of the liberal media.

That makes her remarks a little more interesting.

Whether or not all her questions to other presidents were answered to her satisfaction or not,this is the first I can recall Helen Thomas saying the Obama control of the press was was worse than that of Nixon

When you control those attending and the questions they would allow it certainly is control.

Calling for openness and transparency might have seemed a bit hypocritical . Especially in this when Obama was trying to muster more support for universal health care. The big sob story was given by a democratic aide

Stacking the deck on something like that might seem a bit dishonest to most

In this case, Thomas told Gibbs that no other White House tried to put this much control over media coverage, and slammed him for doing so despite the administration's calls for "openness and transparency."

Quote:

OK. Let's be clear who is responsible for this questionable use of US taxpayer money. This is an NIH grant that was approved back in November, 2008, according to the FoxNews report. That puts it under a Bush Administration approved expenditure of our taxpayer dollars. So don't tag it on Obama.

I really don't care when it was approved. Obama was fully in favor of the "so called stimulus" by Bush.

Maybe it is time Obama pulls up his big boy pants and takes his own responsibility. He voted for it and as we have seen has grabbed a lot more power,power the president should not have.

If he was not interested enough to find out what he was okaying with his vote,TOUGH.

If he didn't read it,he had no business voting on it.

Anyone that had not read it and voted anyway is doing a great disservice.

We know the Obama stimulus that was supposed to generate paradise isn't working so well either.

If Obama didn't want millions going for prostitution in China he would put a halt to it.

If he didn't want to spend a ton of money for tattoo removable in Nancy Pelosi's district he would not allow the idiocy.

See if you can stick to the topic. It concerned Obama,not past presidents or future possible ones.

That transparency thing seems to be a problem for him. Remember Obama would have important information up for five days before voted on.

This last doozy on cap and trade left the republicans a very short time to read over twelve hundred pages

Obama is about as open and transparent as a concrete wall

• Administrators

Only in the tiny windowless world of your imagination...

reyes

Quote:

It does not make your statement true either.

As I said (for the third time), Obama is not the first President to control a press situation. That is all I said, and it is the truth. I'm not interested in debating what Helen Thomas said or thinks.

Originally Posted By: bonnie
Quote:

It does not make your statement true either.

As I said (for the third time), Obama is not the first President to control a press situation. That is all I said, and it is the truth. I'm not interested in debating what Helen Thomas said or thinks.

Helen Thomas is mentioned in the title of the topic and it was about what she thought