ClubAdventist is back!

Palin Running for President?

• Administrators

...The reason FOXNews gets such better ratings than MSNBC is perhaps because there are more conservatives in America than liberls. Or it could be that liberals are divided among their various choices. There are many news sources that lean liberal so they can choose from the many.

Most recent Presidential elections suggest that there are probably about equal numbers of conservatives and liberals, based on how close the votes are.

Another factor of the difference between FOXNews and MSNBC is that MSNBC is only on cable and is predominantly commentary and opinion about the news. The straight news is by NBC News which is over the air and available on cable. FoxNews is a seamless mix of news and commentary on cable and also broadcasts over the air on many of its Fox stations. To accurately compare you have to compare FoxNews ratings/viewership with NBC News as well as MSNBC. That levels the playing field substantially. And as you correctly point out, The nonconservative only choices are more numerous so to be fair you have to also add the numbers for ABC News and CBS News and CNN. When you look at all the numbers, FoxNews ratings/viewership falls way behind.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bonnie

• Dr. Shane

• lazarus

• Woody

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Nothing ironical in my post...you left yourself open to a wide range of responses. Nothing liberal about it.....or do only liberals find humour???

No, but liberal's do use it frequently to achieve insults and yet say "Who me,my hands are clean"

As to leaving myself wide open,once in awhile I slip and forget who I am dealing with.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Quote:
Most recent Presidential elections suggest that there are probably about equal numbers of conservatives and liberals, based on how close the votes are.

That is faulty reasoning. Moderates, like myself, make up a large portion of the electorate and they are the ones who really choose who wins. I voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004 and Obama in 2008.

Gallop Poll:

Quote:
The Gallup Poll organization said 40 percent of Americans interviewed in 10 surveys from January to May described themselves as conservative, 35 percent as moderate and 21 percent as liberal - a finding that could have a significant influence on the way President Obama's agenda is perceived in the months to come.

Quote:
To accurately compare you have to compare FoxNews ratings/viewership with NBC News as well as MSNBC.

This is more erring logic. NBC is a public broadcast network seen in many homes without cable or satellite. Liberal spinners feed themselves this logic to try and comfort themselves but no one in the ratings business buys it. Cable news channels are ranked against each other. Public broadcast channels are ranked against each other. Rankings mean everything because they determine how much a channel charges advertisers and charges cable and satellite companies to rebroadcast them. For example: if you pay $50/month for cable a certain percentage goes to MTV, CNN, Hallmark, FOXNews, etc. If FOXNews is pulling in better ratings than CNN they can charge the cable company a larger percentage than what CNN can.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

offtopic

Moderates, like myself,

I think you have moderated your views somewhat but I wouldn't describe you as a moderate. I wonder how your positions line up with someone like Pat Buchanan who is one conservative that I make time to listen to.

backtopic

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Pat Buchanan is too much of an isolationist for me. His views border on being racist.

My views are pretty much moderate, leaning a little to the right.

Abortion: I am pro-choice but believe it should be limited to the fist 12 weeks of pregnancy and that public policy should be used to discourage it.

Big Government: I think there is a place for a lot of government programs. I am confident that if it had not been for government programs, I would never have been able to break out of the poverty I was born into. That said, I think too much government can become intrusive and actually limit opportunity.

Immigration: I am all for stopping illegal immigration however we need to make it easier for people to immigrate to the US legally. Legal immigration brings much needed workers to the US as well as cultural diversity. Immigrants convicted of a felony prior to becoming US citizens should deported after serving their sentence.

Capital Punishment: I am not a big fan of capital punishment but do not really oppose it either.

Healthcare: I don't know what the answer is but support some kind of universal healthcare.

Economy: I favor low taxes but believe there is a time, depending on economic conditions, that taxes need to be raised. I favor the elevated tax scale that taxes the wealthy more than the lower and middle class.

Education: I support some sort of educational voucher that will allow poor parents the choice to send their children to private schools.

Environment: I support government-funded research into alternate energy sources. However I also support additional drilling in the US and construction of nuclear power plants.

Legal Reform: I believe something has to be done to discourage or decrease the number of frivolous lawsuits while protecting the individual's right to have access to the judicial system.

War: I believe war is a terrible option and should only be used as a last resort as a defensive measure.

Free Trade: I support free trade except to nations we have major political issues with. I believe trade sanctions are a better option than war.

• Administrators

...That is faulty reasoning. Moderates, like myself, make up a large portion of the electorate and they are the ones who really choose who wins...

First of all, it is not faulty reasoning. It's a faulty response on your part. You have changed the dynamic and the resulting comparison.

The comparison was between only two choices - conservative and liberal. Those were both given as the choices of news sources and the given choices for the Presidential election. All conservative news and commentary sources, as well as the leading Republican candidates describe everyone else as the "liberal news media" or the "liberal candidate" to distinguish themselves and keep the comparisons on a bright line, a clear black and white choice. There was no moderate choice concept introduced in those choices nor in your post that I was responding to. Your response is faulty because you have now introduce another option - moderate - that was not a part of the comparison or a real choice in the Presidential election. (I am not arguing that there is not or should not be a real ideological middle ground. It is just not currently an identified choice among the given options.)

And your self assessment belies the faulty weakness of those Gallup Polls. It is a subjective self description. As the article points out, 27 percent of Republicans do not describe themselves as "conservative" and 62% (!!) of Democrats do not describe themselves as "liberal"!! WHY? Because the labels are not popular and people are self describing, just like you always do, to avoid the unpopular implications of the labels. But I can assure you that the overwhelming majority of Republicans, and self-described "Independents" and "Moderates", would understand "Democrat" to only mean "liberal" and the overwhelming majority of Democrats, and those same self-described "Independents" and "Moderates", would understand "Republican" to only mean "conservative".

And based on that, distinction the article also points out that 36% of Americans consider themselves to be Democratic and 28% consider themselves to be Republican. That means more liberals than conservatives in that given comparison. The remaining "Independents" pretty much evened out the comparative split based on their choice.

Originally Posted By: Shane
Quote:
To accurately compare you have to compare FoxNews ratings/viewership with NBC News as well as MSNBC.

This is more erring logic...

Only in your mind is it an error of logic. Earlier, the choices of conservative vs. liberal media were identified, by you I believe. And again you now want to change the rules of comparison and choice to suit your predisposition to favor and defend all things conservative more than anything liberal. FoxNews stands alone, as you and others so frequently confirm, as the only major media source of "fair and balanced" conservative (oxymoronic phrase if ever there was one...)news and commentary. That is up against all the rest of the "liberal media", even according to the prominent self-promoting talking heads of FoxNews. BUT when a hard comparison is to be made that requires actual objective facts and statistics, the rules change to a more conservative (correctly used and an intentional pun) approach is used to compare FoxNews to only its most obvious idealogical counterpoint on the other extreme of the spectrum - MSNBC while "forgetting" or trying to ignore the elephant (another intentional and appropriate pun), they on FoxNews and you conservatives collectively here, brought into the room of all the other "liberal media." I am only trying to keep the elephant in the comparison.

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

No change of dynamic. Moderates have always existed. There have never been just two groups or two choices. There are just two major political parties but both of them compete for the moderate vote. Election results can never be used to determine how many conservatives there are compared to liberals because the moderates always split their votes between the two major parties. Moreover there are Democrats that label themselves conservatives (blue dogs) and Republicans that label themselves liberal. Moderates have to choose a party affiliation in most states in order to vote in the primaries. One of the reason we saw so many registered republicans jump ship last year and registrar as Democrats was so they could vote in the Democrat primary. It would be erring to think all those moderate Republicans decided to become liberal Democrats. Their ideology didn't change, only their party affiliation. I am one of them so I can speak for myself on that matter.

The news media isn't simply conservative vs. liberal. Not at all. There are certain news outlets that report the news in certain ways because of the demographic of their viewers. These news outlets know the ideology of those that watch them and cater to it. News is like any other product. It is packaged, marketed and sold. NBC packages and sells the news in one way. Its cable sister MSNABC packages and sells the news a little different. CNN does it their way. CBS their way. FOXNews their way. etc. etc. etc.

• Members

You guys have to stop trying to make Jessie out to be a freak. He was one that didn't take any gruff from anyone, especially democrats and republicans. If ran for president I would most definitely have voted for him. He was a decorated Navy Seal and along with McCain an honorable american. They served there country well.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

You guys have to stop trying to make Jessie out to be a freak. He was one that didn't take any gruff from anyone, especially democrats and republicans. If ran for president I would most definitely have voted for him. He was a decorated Navy Seal and along with McCain an honorable american. They served there country well.

pk

Most of the freaky costuming was before his election.He had his strong points but his "I am taking my toys and going home" so frequently sunk any chance he would probably have had

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Members

Oh I agree, I don't believe that he will ever run for any office. I think he's found out what it is to be a politician and doesn't what anything to do with it anymore. At least that's my thought of the situation. He was on Fox and Friends a few weeks ago and he let them have it. I thought that he was a very knowledgeable person.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Yes. I saw that on Fox also pk and I agree that he seemed very knowledgeable. Even more knowledgeable than our current CEO.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

He's actually alot brighter than I ever thought. I figuered he got elected on his being a wrestling champ or a sport celeb.

pk

phkrause