ClubAdventist is back!

Obama More Catholic Than The Pope

http://beltwayblips.dailyradar.com/story/newsweek_is_obama_more_catholic_than_the_pope/

Newsweek: “Is Obama more Catholic than the Pope?” Boldly going where no mag has gone before, Newsweek asserts, Without a Doubt: Why Barack Obama represents American Catholics better than the pope does. And you know it must be true because Kathleen Kennedy Townsend says so: “The pope has a lot to learn about Catholic politics in ...

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Administrators

Kathleen Kennedy Townsend's whole article should be read before people take this off in the wrong direction - http://www.newsweek.com/id/205961

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Kathleen Kennedy Townsend's whole article should be read before people take this off in the wrong direction - http://www.newsweek.com/id/205961

The link was provided for those wishing to read the whole article

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Administrators

The link was provided for those wishing to read the whole article

The link you provided was to various blogs talking about a very narrow perpspective of the Newsweek article. Buried in one of them was a link to Newsweek, but you had to sift through several blog layers to get there. I was just posting a direct link to the whole article to avoid the blog slog.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

So what is the objection? Newsweek has as the title to the article

Without a Doubt

Without a Doubt

Why Barack Obama represents American Catholics better than the pope does.

There is no other direction to take it unless you choose to stray off what Kathleen Townsend. I thought she was fairly clear

Quote:

The link you provided was to various blogs talking about a very narrow perpspective of the Newsweek article. Buried in one of them was a link to Newsweek, but you had to sift through several blog layers to get there. I was just posting a direct link to the whole article to avoid the blog slog.

Seems Newsweek has the same to say,so what is your problem??

This places Obama and his values ahead of the pope. When Obama meets the pope tomorrow, they'll politely disagree about reproductive freedoms and homosexuality, but Catholics back home won't care, because they know Obama's on their side. In fact, Obama's agenda is closer to their views than even the pope's. When Obama meets the pope tomorrow, they'll politely disagree about reproductive freedoms and homosexuality, but Catholics back home won't care, because they know Obama's on their side. In fact, Obama's agenda is closer to their views than even the pope's. Also states the catholic laity doesn't care.

In truth, though, Obama's pragmatic approach to divisive policy (his notion that we should acknowledge the good faith underlying opposing viewpoints) and his social-justice agenda reflect the views of American Catholic laity much more closely than those vocal bishops and pro-life activists. When Obama meets the pope tomorrow, they'll politely disagree about reproductive freedoms and homosexuality, but Catholics back home won't care, because they know Obama's on their side. In fact, Obama's agenda is closer to their views than even the pope's.

It looks to me like it's just saying that Catholics in the U.S. aren't that loyal to the pope.

I was pretty sure that was what was being said but Tom didn't seem to think so.Not sure which direction he was concerned it would go.

Haha - the U.S. Catholics are more in line with Obama than they are in line with the pope.

The Ha ha has to come close to the most childish response yet.It is not a personal affront to me. What will be is when I read that SDA's are more in line with Obama than our denominational leaders. I believe that day will come for many,whether it is Obama or someone else that follows his path

The article was interesting as this is the second time that Newsweek worked to elevate Obama. Last time it was Obama was kind of like God.

I don't buy Townsands assessment of US Catholics. I am married to a former Catholic and have many family members that are Catholic. They would not agree with that article. To most sincere Catholics no one on this earth has the standing of the pope.

HEY BONNIE

for the past several Presidential elections the American

Catholics have not agree with the pope on several issues

but when it comes to the sunday law the American Catholics

will fall into line.....

dgrimm60

That statement should qualify you as a conspiracy nut. I think the effects of much of what is going on now will be felt before we get to the Sunday law. Giving a boost by SDA's and other christians.

Obama is more Catholic than the Pope?

Oh boy .... we are in BIG trouble.

There's going to be a lot of SDAs who will wish they had voted for Palin/McCain.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Originally Posted By: carolaa
It looks to me like it's just saying that Catholics in the U.S. aren't that loyal to the pope.

I was pretty sure that was what was being said but Tom didn't seem to think so.Not sure which direction he was concerned it would go.

Since I said very little about the article, you are making assumptions about what I think... And you know what you are fond of saying about assuming... I really did not say anyhting about what I thought of the article.

Originally Posted By: bonnie
Quote:

Seems Newsweek has the same to say,so what is your problem??

I am not the one with the problem. It is the blogs, and you by extension by posting a link to them, that are propogandists spinning the article out of context to stir the pot in a direction not intended by the author. The blogs and you are anti-Obama attempting to stir up controversy and antagonism toward him. Townsend is most definitely not in that same camp.

The article and the blogs, as is evident from the title of the blog as well as your post, are not saying the same thing as the article. Carola summarized it well. And Redwood's reaction shows why the blog spin takes superficial and unthinking readers in the wrong direction.

Tom

Quote:

Since I said very little about the article, you are making assumptions about what I think... And you know what you are fond of saying about assuming... I really did not say anyhting about what I thought of the article.

Since I only repeated what you said what assumptions am I making.

Quote:

Tom said.....Kathleen Kennedy Townsend's whole article should be read before people take this off in the wrong direction -

You did not say which wrong direction and I made no attempt to decide a direction

• Members

That would not have made a difference, and I can bet you that most SDAs voted for McCain/Palin.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Wow, Bonnie. I guess I have to agree with those who say you make a lot of assumptions and have no sense of humor. Please explain what it is about my haha comment that you feel is so childish. Your response was downright rude.

I am married to a former Catholic and have many family members that are Catholic. They would not agree with that article. To most sincere Catholics no one on this earth has the standing of the pope.

Yes, I know and love a bunch of Catholics and former Catholics too. Former Catholics make the best Adventists.

Originally Posted By: bonnie
I am married to a former Catholic and have many family members that are Catholic. They would not agree with that article. To most sincere Catholics no one on this earth has the standing of the pope.

Yes, I know and love a bunch of Catholics and former Catholics too. Former Catholics make the best Adventists.

Actually they don't make any better SDA christian than anyone else that is converted.

Those that nominal catholics or very liberal catholics may place Obama ahead of the pope but it would be a stretch to say US Catholics in general