ClubAdventist is back!

Birthers are citizens of Idiot America

• Moderators

Just because there are people who believe some mighty peculiar things doesn't mean I'm obliged to pay them any attention. After all, there are folks who are convinced that the moon landing was a hoax, that Israel was behind the World Trade Center attacks and that the US government has been covering up the truth about the crash of a UFO in Roswell, New Mexico, for the past six decades. Not every ludicrous notion is worth the mental energy it would take to debunk it.

Which brings me to the Birthers – rightwing conspiracy theorists who insist that Barack Obama was not born in the United States and is thus constitutionally unqualified to serve as president. I had assumed they'd gone away last year, after the Obama campaign posted the then-candidate's birth certificate on the internet. But conspiracy theories are a matter of faith, not fact. So I shouldn't have been surprised when the Birthers rose up anew recently, receiving a respectful hearing from the likes of CNN talkshow host Lou Dobbs and various Republican congressmen.

But there's a difference between the loony ideas of yore and their latter-day incarnations. What had once been relegated to the fringes is now front and centre. The penniless cranks have given way to well-dressed strategists with expense accounts. The transformative agent: our corrupt and malign media culture.

I am in debt to Charles Pierce, whose fine new book, Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free, explains how talk radio, cable news shows and, too often, less dubious sectors of the media have built the promulgation of foolishness into a growth business. (Disclosure: Pierce, a staff writer for the Boston Globe Magazine and a well-known freelancer, is a friend of mine.)

Idiot America – not the book, but, rather, a state of mind – is based on what Pierce calls three "Great Premises":

1. "Any theory is valid if it sells books, soaks up ratings or otherwise moves units."

2. "Anything can be true if someone says it loudly enough."

3. "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/...hip-republicans

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Administrators

Yes this does explain a lot of what we have seen over the past several election cycles. I would amend #2 above to "anything can be true if someone says it loud enough and often enough."

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Good Point dgrimm

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

dgrimm & Red do believe Obama is a natural born American citizen?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

He may have been 'born' but he ain't 'natural'.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

As to the title of this topic - As far as we know they are citizens...

bwink

But seriously, the referenced book is well worth the read, as well as the rest of the linked commentary of Dan Kennedy which includes the following that pretty much sums it up IMHO:

Quote:
The Birthers are ignorant hatemongers, spouting nonsense about Obama's roots as a proxy for their profound disgust that a black man was elected president.

Citizens of Idiot America, indeed!

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Good Point dgrimm

It would take one second to just hold it up for the media to take a picture of it.

I believe in Hematology.

HEY ALL

YES this thought can apply to any issue such

as the sunday law dgrimm60

I think the idea of the Sunday law has been scraped by many

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

HEY LAZARUS

IF there is any QUESTION OBAMA should be the

one to prove it

dgrimm60

I note that you both didn't answer the question

Einstein

thumbsup

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

HEY LAZARUS

I really dont know what to think

but like I said OBAMA needs to be

the one to set this issue straight

dgrimm60

He has, repeatedly. He obtained and supplied to the media the verification from the State of Hawaii. The Certificate of Live Birth is the only document the State provides and it is acceptable proof for obtaining a US Passport, establishing citizenship by birth.

• Moderators

Less than half of Republicans believe that Barack Obama was born in the United States of America, a new public opinion poll finds.

Only 42 percent of Republican respondents in a Research 2000 survey, conducted for the liberal website Daily Kos, said they thought Obama was a natural born citizen; 28 percent said they did not believe Obama was born in the United States; 30 percent said they were not sure.

Einstein

• Administrators

The combination of the title of the book referenced in this topic and Jay Leo's shtick called Jaywalking makes me suspicious that a rather high percentage of those who do not believe Obama is a natural born citizen also believe that he was born in Hawaii which they think is not part of the United States...

• Moderators

Bill Clinton had the Vince Foster "murder." George W. Bush had 9/11 Truth. And the new administration has brought with it a new culture of conspiracy: The Birthers.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/19450.html#ixzz0N41R2xIB

Einstein

Less than half of Republicans believe that Barack Obama was born in the United States of America, a new public opinion poll finds.

Only 42 percent of Republican respondents in a Research 2000 survey, conducted for the liberal website Daily Kos, said they thought Obama was a natural born citizen; 28 percent said they did not believe Obama was born in the United States; 30 percent said they were not sure.

I would really question the internals of that poll. If this was a Rasmussen, Zogby or some other reputable poll it would be more believable.

The big conservative names are not running with this - Not Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck nor O'Reilly. In fact, some of them are coming straight out and saying it is bogus conspiracy theory stuff.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Thanks Richard. This looks very credible.

VERY interesting. I can see the waves building.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I guess I'm one of those idiot birthers.

Lol, you said it.

You won't believe Hawaiian state authorities and attestation of Obama's birth but you are ready to believe something supposedly coming from a foreign country. It's weird how Republicans are willing to suspend their values to score political points. If the situation was reverse folks would be howling how unAmerican and treacherous this is.

If Obama releases his birth certificate then how will we know it's not a forgery?

Einstein

• Moderators

This looks very credible.

LoL, what makes the certificate of live birth less credible?

Einstein

• Moderators

It records Barack Obama Sr’s age as “26.” Obama Sr was born in 1936; his son was born in 1961.

- Its publication date is February 17, 1964, but it purports be a document of the “Republic of Kenya.” Kenya did not become a Republic until December 12, 1964, a year after it won independence from Great Britain.

- It’s signed by “registrar E.F. Lavender.” Earth Friendly Lavender is a kind of detergent, and government officials who use vanity initials on official documents are, to put it mildly, rare.

teehe

Einstein

• Administrators

And in addition

Mombasa was in the state of Zanzibar until it was ceded to the newly independent state of Kenya on December 12, 1963, so Obama would have been born in Zanzibar.

In the 1960's the geographic divisions of Kenya were known as "Regions" not "Provinces". By 1970 the status of the regions changed to provinces.

But a prescient point on the certificate is the number at the top "47,044" - At the age of 47 Obama became the 44th president of the US...

It's weird how Republicans are willing to suspend their values to score political points.

Please provide the name of one elected Republican to either federal or a statewide office that is part of the Birthers movement? I am not saying there isn't one - just that I haven't heard one.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Rep. Bill Posey, a freshman Republican from Florida, introduced a bill yesterday mirroring proposed state legislation in Missouri and elsewhere that stems from fringe doubts about Obama's eligibility for office.

The full bill text isn't yet available, and Posey's spokesman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment, but here's a summary:

H.R. 1503. A bill to amend the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to require the principal campaign committee of a candidate for election to the office of President to include with the committee's statement of organization a copy of the candidate's birth certificate, together with such other documentation as may be necessary to establish that the candidate meets the qualifications for eligibility to the Office of President under the Constitution; to the Committee on House Administration.

Though Posey's spokesman wasn't available, a Feb. 13 letter from Posey to a constituent on the subject appears on a website pushing the story in which Posey noted that courts and Hawaii officials had rejected the claims, but didn't state his own view on the subject.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0309/Birther_bill_hits_Congress.html

Einstein

• Moderators

It would be simpler to ask who is not part of the birther movement....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1o1p_ly7Yw

Einstein