ClubAdventist is back!

Iran Within One Year of Bomb, says Times of London

John317

• Moderators

Last update - 11:26 03/08/2009

'Iran waiting for Khamenei go-ahead to build atom bomb'

By Haaretz Service

Iran possesses the capability to build a nuclear weapon within one year as it has mastered the necessary technology, the Times of London reported on Monday. All that separates Tehran from arming itself with an atomic bomb is final approval from Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

The Times quoted Western intelligence sources as saying the Iranians completed their research program to create weaponized uranium back in 2003.

Contrary to a U.S. National Intelligence Estimate report which claimed that Iran halted its nuclear activities because of the threat of an American invasion following the occupation of Iraq, the real reason for the halt was that the Iranians had figured out how to detonate a warhead that could be fitted on its long-range Shehab-3 missiles, according to the Times.

Advertisement

Should it so desire, Iran could produce a nuclear weapon within one year, in which it would need six months to produce enough enriched uranium and another six months to build a warhead, the Times of London said.

"If the Supreme Leader takes the decision [to build a bomb], we assess they have to enrich low-enriched uranium to highly-enriched uranium at the Natanz plant, which could take six months, depending on how many centrifuges are operating," an intelligence source told the Times. "We don't know if the decision was made yet."

Aside from the Natanz plant, the source speculated that Iran may have built a number of small, secret facilities which store materials that can be developed for a nuclear bomb, the Times reported.

American officials briefed Israel last week on the administration's ideas for intensifying sanctions against Iran if it fails to respond to U.S. President Barack Obama's offer of dialogue.

In his meeting with Israeli officials, U.S. National Security Advisor James Jones indicated that Tehran has until the UN General Assembly in the last week of September to respond. U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates delivered a similar message during his visit here earlier this week. If no satisfactory answer is received, the Americans said, they would work to form an international coalition to impose harsh sanctions on Iran.

A senior source in Jerusalem said the American message to Israel in these talks was to "lower its profile" and refrain from "ranting and raving" about Iran in public until the international evaluation on Iran takes place at the end of September. "Until that date, we must give diplomacy a chance," the official said.

Source: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1104877.html

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

I trust the IAEA over these unnamed 'sources' any day... and even these sources acknowledge that Iran has no fissile material and will need to enrich it - which as I've said here before, they're years from being able to do.

So, yeah, they may have the technology to build the physical object that *would* be a nuclear weapon, but with no enriched uranium it's *not* a nuclear weapon.

Truth is important

• Moderators

Iran Needs Six Months for Nuclear-Weapon Test, Diplomats Say

Monday, July 20, 2009

Iran's uranium enrichment program could generate nuclear-weapon material quickly enough for the Middle Eastern nation to test bomb within six months, diplomats told the Associated Press last week (see GSN, July 17).

No hints have emerged that Iran would attempt an all-out push to build a nuclear weapon, a gambit that would require banning U.N. inspectors from the Natanz uranium enrichment site and alerting the international community. Tehran has insisted its uranium enrichment effort is strictly aimed at producing low-enriched uranium for use in nuclear power reactors.

"We are talking here not of intent but capability," said one diplomat who is accredited with the International Atomic Energy Agency.

The nation as of June was operating roughly 5,000 uranium enrichment centrifuges.

Tehran is not likely yet to show that it wants nuclear weapons, as it is believed to need several years to produce a sure-fire system to deliver a warhead, according to AP.

The six-month time line is "in line with our estimates," said David Albright, head of the Institute for Science and International Security. He said there was also a "50-50" chance that Tehran is operating a hidden uranium enrichment site.

Iran has continued resisting IAEA efforts to introduce heightened monitoring measures at Natanz, the diplomats added. The upgrades were intended to help agency officials track expanding operations at the site (see GSN, June 11; George Jahn, Associated Press I/Yahoo!News, July 17).

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

I hope you're right, and I hope Israel knows it and will act accordingly.

But Israel realizes that if they are wrong, and Iran gets the bomb, it will change everything. It could very quickly be too late for Israel to do anything. Then Egypt and other countries in the region will race to build their own bombs.

Indeed - in fact I thought that Iran was one of the nations engaged with North Korea in the sale of nuclear technology. I think they buy from North Korea - correct?

Things will get "ugly" pretty fast I suspect.

We also have the "sign" that the Gospel is in deed going to "all the world" -- we are nearing the end. I like the 3 mission stories over 3 weeks in this Q3 2009 quarterly beginning around Aug 28.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

• Moderators

But Israel realizes that if they are wrong, and Iran gets the bomb, it will change everything.

The balance of power will shift and Israel will have to come to a more equitable solution as far as the Palestinians are concerned.

Mutually Assured Destruction may work in the Mid east as well as it did in the cold war.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

This will be a test for Obama.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

It will: can he stand up to the pressure from Israel in relation to a non-existent threat?

Truth is important

• Moderators

Obama won't tell Israel it can't bomb Iran. In the final analysis, if they bomb, the USA will support them.

Obama should know that Bombing Iran would mean the end of the US prosperity. The dollar index right now is on a very thin thread, and all it would take is another unnecessary and expensive war to send things tumbling down.

Obama should know that Bombing Iran would mean the end of the US prosperity. The dollar index right now is on a very thin thread, and all it would take is another unnecessary and expensive war to send things tumbling down.

Maybe that's the plan.

I came, I saw, I posted.

• Members

I don't believe it will be the US doing the bombing.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}