ClubAdventist is back!

Woodstock - - 40 years later

Stan

• Members

Nice wig dude. :)

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phkrause

• olger

• GreatLakesGramma

• Members

rollingsmile

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

I thought that was Olger? Am I wrong?

pk

phkrause

• Members

Olger you should have picked the one with Bob Dylan, since he wrote that song.

pk

phkrause

I beg to differ. Hendrix died Sept 18th, 1970. Janis Joplin died 3 or 4 weeks later in October of 1970. In one of her biographies she is quoted as saying: "two superstars can't die that close together", or something like that. Morrison died in '71.

Joplin's hometown is about 40 miles from where I grew up. Her life and career was much more celebrated on the local radio stations over there than the other two.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

I was a fan of Jim Morrison and the Doors also. I like that song 'the end'. It is spooky, mystical. Reminds me of the movie apocalypse now. Morrison was a heavy dude. There was a persistent urban legend going around that he was at one time a seventh day adventist, but I have never seen substantial evidence to prove it.

DB

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

• Administrators

Woodstock 1969 Lineup

Day 1: Friday, August 15 1969

Richie Havens

Sweetwater

Bert Sommer

Tim Hardin

Ravi shankar

Melanie

Arlo Guthrie

Joan Baez

Day 2: Saturday, August 16 1969

Quill

Country Joe McDonald

John B. Sebastian

Keef Hartley Band

Santana

Incredible String Band

Canned Heat

Grateful Dead

Leslie West & Mountain

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Janis Joplin

Sly & The Family Stone

The Who

Jefferson Airplane

Day 3: Sunday, August 17 1969

Joe Cocker

Country Joe & The Fish

Ten Years After

Johnny Winter

Blood Sweat And Tears

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Day 4: Monday, August 18 1969

Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Sha Na Na

Jimi Hendrix

For the complete playlist for each - http://www.woodstockstory.com/bandsperformerssetsplaylists1969.html#day1

And to find out where they all are now - http://www.woodstockstory.com/woodstock1969-bands-where-are-they-now.html

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Moderators

I beg to differ. Hendrix died Sept 18th, 1970. Janis Joplin died 3 or 4 weeks later in October of 1970. In one of her biographies she is quoted as saying: "two superstars can't die that close together", or something like that. Morrison died in '71.

Joplin's hometown is about 40 miles from where I grew up. Her life and career was much more celebrated on the local radio stations over there than the other two.

Yes, Janis died Oct. 4, 1970. You're right about Hendrix. Morrison died in Paris July 3, 1971.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Members

I had heard that too Kountzer, but this was never proven. I did hear that he had visited Andrews University. Isn't there a thread on the forum that has something about Morrison? Maybe not. I think I own almost all his albums. I don't listen to them anymore though.

pk

phkrause

There is good evidence that Morrison was posessed by a demon. Ray Manzarak (co-founder of the Doors) has this to say.

“When the Siberian shaman gets ready to go into his trance, all the villagers get together... and play whatever instruments they have to send him off [into trance and possession]. … It was the same way with The Doors when we played in concert... I think that our drug experience let us get into it... [the trance state] quicker.... It was like Jim [Morrison] was an electric shaman and we were the electric shaman’s band, pounding away behind him. Sometimes he wouldn’t feel like getting into the state, but the band would keep on pounding and pounding, and little by little it would take him over. God, I could send an electric shock through him with the organ. John could do it with his drumbeats” (DOORS keyboardist Ray Manzarek, cited by Jerry Hopkins and Daniel Sugerman, No One Here Gets Out Alive, pp. 158-60).

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Moderators

I don't believe Morrison was ever SDA but he did consider at one time studying at a seminary, so he must have thought of himself as a Christian for a while.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Hm. I wonder if it was the Doors on the preview for a video about rock & roll being satanic, on one of my old christian videos. There was a clip of a concert, and the lead singer & guitarist was dancing around with his eyes rolled back in his head.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

• Members

Was the lead singer the guitarist, or did you mean two separate people. Even though Morrison could play an instrument, as far as I know he never played at any concerts or clubs.

pk

phkrause

• Administrators

Actually I have seen classical musicians doing the very same thing while intently playing their instrument performing old classical music - eyes rolled back, face grimaced, swaying to the music in what seems to be a trance-like state.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Remember Melanie Safka, the "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you've got a brand new key" lady?

I don't know what she sang at Woodstock, but I would guess that it would be, Candles in the Rain (Lay Down)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Was the lead singer the guitarist, or did you mean two separate people. Even though Morrison could play an instrument, as far as I know he never played at any concerts or clubs.

pk

I was speaking of one person. I don't remember if he was actually singing, but I am pretty sure he was playing a guitar. It's been a few years since I saw it. But I have never seen anyone with their eyes rolled back that far, who was actually conscious, and especially dancing around like he was. At the very least, he had to have been on drugs.

Catherine

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

I finally remembered. The video was called "Hell's Bells", and the group was Fleetwood Mac.

Catherine

This was an anti-rock music video, not a music video, and all I saw was the trailer. The group was Fleetwood Mac. I found their site and looked at pictures of former members. The only one that looks like what I remember of the man in the video with his eyes rolled back is Dave Mason. I don't really know for sure if it was him, but in the picture they have on their site, he has the same bushy beard and long, light-colored hair.

Catherine

Also, I remember being very surprised that Fleetwood Mac would be a target of such a video, since I did not remember their music as being wild, vulgar, or otherwise objectionable, during the years that I used to listen to secular music.

Catherine

• Members

Yeah Fleetwood Mac was rather tame compared to other groups. I did a google on Fleetwood Mac, because I don't remember them ever playing together, and it didn't say anything about Dave Mason. But if you google DM, it does mention that he did play with them. Must have been just a quick set or so.

pk

phkrause