ClubAdventist is back!

What keeps you with your spouse?

Gail

• Administrators

Lifehiscost wrote this about his wife:

Quote:
Taking a viewpoint from my wife, who is two years younger than I at the age of 73, it isn't the body parts that keep me in love with her, but they are a part of the enjoyable time of our experience together.

How long have you been married, and what keeps YOU with your spouse?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

It will be 38 years this November 28th, I can't imagine being anywhere else and with anyone else.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Moderators

It is a great blessing to be able to pray together and to

laugh together.

There are other reasons, but those two are high on the list.

Almost 6 years, obviously not first time round for either of us,

but we like that old song that says

"Love is lovelier the second time around".

Obviously PK has the best experience the first time around....but we have to take life as it comes to us, and not all of us are given the choice to remain with the spouse of our youth.

• Moderators

What a great question!

Heading for 22 years at the moment.

We just enjoy each other's company. We phone one another (or, now that she works in a tiny office and isn't allowed to make personal calls, chat online) every day at work, and take advantage of any time off work to be together. We talk, play computer games together, go for walks together and dream together.

It hasn't always been easy, due to some issues in the past, but we've always chosen to face things side by side, on the same team, rather than to make each other the enemy on any issue, and that seems to be working.

Oh, two other things - we always say 'I love you', don't just leave it to be 'taken as read', and we always touch. We hold hands when we walk (and the kids have never been allowed to physically get between us), hug a lot, my arm is around her if we're sitting together, and so on. This simple physical affection and closeness is important.

Truth is important

• Administrators

I knew I could count on you, Bravus!!!

thumbsup

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

How long have you been married, and what keeps YOU with your spouse?

32 years. Forgiveness.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

32 years. Forgiveness.

On your part or hers? bwink

• Moderators

There's not really a good version on the net, but the Forgiveness Waltz can reliably start me crying and move my heart.

Truth is important

Our 30th is coming up in 3 weeks.

We have been kept together mainly by commitment, to God as well as to each other. We love each other, and we make a good team.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

• Moderators

41 years. Commitment. Grace.

41 years, wow! why did I peg you as "kid"? Maybe I need to pay more attention. Congratulations on all those years.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

Humbled, I report 13 years of marriage and still with my wife because of the fun, her beauty, commitment and the love of Jesus in us.

Inspired to be in the company of those who are 20+ years.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

41 years in December. Or as I usually say, "40 odd years and about six normal months."

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

• Administrators

41 years in December. Or as I usually say, "40 odd years and about six normal months."

It's all part of the fun, eh? :)

Good for you!

Thirty eight years & eight months - thirty nine years on 1st January 2010.

Reason for longevity of marriage - I'll have to consult with her to ascertain how she managed to live with me for so long!

What I know is that I cannot begin to imagine life without her as she was a GIFT from God for which I am eternally grateful.

Humbled, I report 13 years of marriage and still with my wife because of the fun, her beauty, commitment and the love of Jesus in us.

Inspired to be in the company of those who are 20+ years.

Well done, sir. We'll get there together.

G

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."