ClubAdventist is back!

No Negative Kennedy Threads

President Obama has asked that the flag be flown at half staff in remembrance of Senator Kennedy. I believe it will be for 30 days. I think it only well mannered to respect those morning his loss so please do not start any negative threads on Kennedy until the flag is flying at full mast again.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Members

Unfortunately Shane I think you are a little to late. I for one appreciate your effort. I think Jesus, if he were on this earth today would be proud of you.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Administrators

But it's not too late to put at least a 30 day lock on the existing threads trashing Kennedy...

Thanks, Shane!

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I think I have done that. There is one discussing the policy of replacing Kennedy in the Senate that I left. As long as it stays focused on the political issue of replacing Kennedy, I think it is fine. If it gets into personal attacks on Kennedy, it will be locked and those posts deleted. After 30 days, members will be free to discuss Kennedy's shortcomings all they want as long as they do not attack other members.

I think I have done that. There is one discussing the policy of replacing Kennedy in the Senate that I left. As long as it stays focused on the political issue of replacing Kennedy, I think it is fine. If it gets into personal attacks on Kennedy, it will be locked and those posts deleted. After 30 days, members will be free to discuss Kennedy's shortcomings all they want as long as they do not attack other members.

Sounds like a liberal agenda of doing away with our 1st ammendment rights of free speech. What else is new.

riverside.gif Riverside CA

• Administrators

...I think I have done that...

Yep, that's why I thanked you...

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

...Sounds like a liberal agenda of doing away with our 1st ammendment rights of free speech. What else is new.

This is not a public free speech zone... and where is the governmental enforcement infringing your free speech rights?

There is no First Amendment free speech protection in a private place.

Of course, indecency knows no boundaries...

Originally Posted By: CyberGuy
...Sounds like a liberal agenda of doing away with our 1st ammendment rights of free speech. What else is new.

This is not a public free speech zone... and where is the governmental enforcement infringing your free speech rights?

There is no First Amendment free speech protection in a private place.

Of course, indecency knows no boundaries...

teehe

LOL. So now first amendment rights is indency. I guess a liberal would say that to a conservative. LOL.

Where free speech is banned due to Liberals cannot answer the conservatives so their free speech is deleted or banned that is the first step to a dictorial state. It should be fought wherever it exists.

Quote:
George Orwell in 1984 pointed out the dangers of thought-crime legislation. Policing ideas and speech is surely a highly dangerous practice. The result is a totalitarian society where even thinking wrong is a crime. In order to achieve harmonious thinking, freedom of thought and conscience is condemned. Is that our preferred future? “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear,” Orwell concluded.

Shane posted that on another thread.

Are there two different Shanes?

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

There have been antiwar protesters that have disrupted funerals of fallen soldiers from the Iraq War. In my opinion, that is highly disrespectful. People should be allowed to morn the loss of someone they were endeared to without others using the loss of that person to make political statements. I am not and never have been a fan of Ted Kennedy. That is not the point. The fact is that there are members here that thought very highly of him. During this time of loss, it is very disrespectful for us that disagreed with Kennedy to throw his sins into the faces of those that cared for him.

After thirty days, the morning will be mostly over and everyone that wants to discuss the sins of Kennedy will be free to do so as much as they desire. I think it honorable to allow those that liked or loved him a period to morn.

• Administrators

Yes, IMHO this sort of conduct is on the same level as the "God Hates Fags" protests of Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church at funerals of gay victims of murder, gay-bashing or people who have died from complications relating to AIDS and often even those related or peripherally related to gay people or soldiers in the military. (See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_baptist )

There have been antiwar protesters that have disrupted funerals of fallen soldiers from the Iraq War. In my opinion, that is highly disrespectful. People should be allowed to morn the loss of someone they were endeared to without others using the loss of that person to make political statements. I am not and never have been a fan of Ted Kennedy. That is not the point. The fact is that there are members here that thought very highly of him. During this time of loss, it is very disrespectful for us that disagreed with Kennedy to throw his sins into the faces of those that cared for him.

After thirty days, the morning will be mostly over and everyone that wants to discuss the sins of Kennedy will be free to do so as much as they desire. I think it honorable to allow those that liked or loved him a period to morn.

What day in September does 30 days expire?

How much longer must the truth wait?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

It seems rather sad that we as Christians actually need someone to tell people not to be negative of a dead person. Why is it that we need that? That is why politics to me is one of the most devisive things in friendship's, marriage's, etc. Pretty sad I'd say.

pk

phkrause

• Moderators

Will this no negative threads business be applied evenly to anyone who dies? What is the criteria?

Flags at half mast?

Famous , Infamous?

Politician, Pop singer? Writer?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Members

Your right, it should extend to all. There are people that are in our lives that we might dislike, and when they die do we say thank God out loud or do we say, I might have disliked your Friend, spouse, etc., but I'm truly sorry that they have pasted away? I would say that it haas to do with our closeness to our Savior. He says to love our enemies, never did say we had to like them. Just a thought.

pk

phkrause

Would it only be fair then that when I die that I get at least a 90 day moritorium on bad things said about me here on this forum? Oh wait. Make it 120 days. I will need all the help I can get when I am dead and can't speak in my own defense.

I believe in Hematology.

Your right, it should extend to all. There are people that are in our lives that we might dislike, and when they die do we say thank God out loud or do we say, I might have disliked your Friend, spouse, etc., but I'm truly sorry that they have pasted away? I would say that it haas to do with our closeness to our Savior. He says to love our enemies, never did say we had to like them. Just a thought.

pk

I don't think anyone was saying "Thank God Ted Kennedy is dead"

It might be because of the sanitizing of a lifetime going on.

Some that die become bigger and better in death than they were in life.The ones that have suffered at their hands are ignored or not mentioned while those that caused their suffering

are becoming almost canonized.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

VERY good points here Bonnie. I agree. But then some prefer fantasy. And if you allow the fantasy enough time ... it starts to become reality.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
Would it only be fair then that when I die that I get at least a 90 day moritorium on bad things said about me here on this forum?

It would be nice if the ad hominem attacks would be banned.

We can't relate Kennedy's own actions and words, but we can cast aspersions on the Christian experience of those who disagree.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Will this no negative threads business be applied evenly to anyone who dies? What is the criteria?

Flags at half mast?

Famous , Infamous?

Politician, Pop singer? Writer?

Flags at half mast are an indication of a nation at morning. That calls for a certain level of respect. We do not lower the flag when actors or singers die. The flag wasn't lowered for Micheal Jackson. So if I am to answer the question, my answer would be "no". Not all deaths should be treated the same.