ClubAdventist is back!

World’s most popular Bible to be revised

Neil D

The world's most-popular Bible will undergo its first revision in 25 years, modernizing the language in some sections and promising to reopen a contentious debate about changing gender terms in the sacred text.

The New International Version, the Bible of choice for conservative evangelicals, will be revised to reflect changes in English usage and advances in Biblical scholarship, it was announced Tuesday. The revision is scheduled to be completed late next year and published in 2011.

"We want to reach English speakers across the globe with a Bible that is accurate, accessible and that speaks to its readers in a language they can understand," said Keith Danby, global president and CEO of Biblica, a Colorado Springs, Colo.-based Christian ministry that holds the NIV copyright.

But past attempts to remake the NIV for contemporary audiences in different editions have been plagued by controversies about gender language that have pitted theological conservatives against each other.

The changes did not make all men "people" or remove male references to God, but instead involved dropping gender-specific terms when translators judged that the original text didn't intend it. So in some verses, references to "sons of God" became "children of God," for example.

Supporters say gender-inclusive changes are more accurate and make the Bible more accessible, but critics contend they twist meaning or smack of political correctness.

Earlier revision fell flat

Acknowledging past missteps, the NIV's overseers are promising that this time, the revision process will be more transparent and that they will actively promote what they describe as a long-held practice of inviting input from scholars and readers.

The NIV was first published in 1978 and more than 300 million NIV Bibles are in print worldwide; its publishers and distributors say the translation accounts for more than a third of Bibles sold worldwide.

The Committee on Bible Translation, an independent group of conservative scholars and translators formed in 1965 to create and revise the NIV, will oversee the new revision.

An effort earlier this decade to create a separate version of the NIV that used more gender-inclusive language in an attempt to reach a younger audience fell flat with groups that felt it crossed the line.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Members

It looks to me Neil that eventually the Bible will no longer be a Bible but just another book.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

I like NKJV and LITV (Literal International Version).

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

• Moderators

I like the New Living Translation. I preach from it a lot of the time but still use the NKJV/KJV.

Love the Good News too!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Administrators

I like the New Living Translation. I preach from it a lot of the time but still use the NKJV/KJV.

Love the Good News too!

My boss likes to recommend the New Living Translation as well.

We don't sell a lot of NIV but I'm interested in seeing what they will do to it.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I like the KJV and the NASB. I have little use for the NIV.

That's pretty much where I am -- with the addition of the NKJV.

g

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Love the Good News too!

Isn't the NLT a paraphrase? I know the Good News is.

• Administrators

I think that the Living Bible is a paraphrase but the New Living is an actual translation.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

We're reading the Bible through with the NLT this year for worship. I also like the Clear Word, the New English Bible, I think I've enjoyed most of the bibles I've read. Can't stand KJV or NKJV.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60