ClubAdventist is back!

Obama Supports Extending Rules of Patriot Act

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_patriot_act

By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer Devlin Barrett, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration supports extending three key provisions of the Patriot Act that are due to expire at the end of the year, the Justice Department told Congress in a letter made public Tuesday.

Lawmakers and civil rights groups had been pressing the Democratic administration to say whether it wants to preserve the post-Sept. 11 law's authority to access business records, as well as monitor so-called "lone wolf" terrorists and conduct roving wiretaps.

The provision on business records was long criticized by rights groups as giving the government access to citizens' library records, and a coalition of liberal and conservative groups complained that the Patriot Act gives the government too much authority to snoop into Americans' private lives.

As a presidential candidate, Barack Obama said he would take a close look at the law, based on his past expertise in constitutional law. Back in May, President Obama said legal institutions must be updated to deal with the threat of terrorism, but in a way that preserves the rule of law and accountability.

In a letter to lawmakers, Justice Department officials said the administration supports extending the three expiring provisions of the law, although they are willing to consider additional privacy protections as long as they don't weaken the effectiveness of the law.

Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich wrote Sen. Patrick Leahy, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, that the administration is willing to consider stronger civil rights protections in the new law "provided that they do not undermine the effectiveness of these important (provisions)."

Leahy responded with a statement saying it is important for the administration and Congress to "work together to ensure that we protect both our national security and our civil liberties."

The committee has scheduled a hearing next week on the Patriot Act.

From 2004 to 2007, the business records provision was used 220 times, officials said. Most often, the business records were requested in combination with requests for phone records.

The lone wolf provision was created to conduct surveillance on suspects with no known link to foreign governments or terrorist groups. It has never been used, but the administration says it should still be available for future investigations.

The roving wiretaps provision was designed to allow investigators to quickly monitor the communications of a suspects who change their cell phone or communication device, without investigators having to go back to court for a new court authorization. That provision has been used an average of 22 times a year, officials said.

Michelle Richardson of the American Civil Liberties Union called the administration's position "a mixed bag," and said that the group hopes the next version of the Patriot Act will have important safeguards on other issues, particularly the collecting of international communications, and a specific bar on surveillance of protected First Amendment activities like peaceful protests or religious assembly.

"We're heartened they're saying they're willing to work with Congress," Richardson said, adding that is "definitely a sea change from what we've seen in the past."

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

The man amazes me more and more every day.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

So are you against the Patriot act now?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Not sure if Redwood is.The Patriot Act has always been a mixed bag for me.

Something like that is ripe for abuse in the wrong hands for the wrong reasons.

That was enacted after an act of war against this country on our soil. Something we had never encountered before.

Drastic measures being taken would pass more easily at that time.

The act itself I was always leery of but Bush for all that people wanted to lay at his doorstep was not power hungry and making great power grabs.

Not knowing who would follow I was very leery where it could lead.

Do I blame Obama for extending it,NO. Am I still leery of it being abused,YES,especially in the hands of this administration

What I do blame him for is some of his reckless remarks during his campaign and then to find him endorsing that which he condemned as in "warrantless wiretaps"

His wishy washy conduct with Nancy Pelosi and others in regards to the CIA and investigating them.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

When the man was a candidate ... and Bush was evil ... the Patriot Act was bad. Now it's good. Amazing.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Incredible how fast tunes can change, isn't it?

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: lazarus

When the man was a candidate ... and Bush was evil ... the Patriot Act was bad. Now it's good. Amazing.

Perhaps that was what Fox news said!

"As president, Barack Obama would revisit the PATRIOT Act to ensure that there is real and robust oversight of tools like

National Security Letters, sneak-and-peek searches, and the use of the material witness provision."

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Originally Posted By: Redwood

Perhaps that was what Fox news said!

"As president' date=' Barack Obama would revisit the PATRIOT Act to ensure that there is real and robust oversight of tools like

National Security Letters, sneak-and-peek searches, and the use of the material witness provision." [/quote']

That comes down to a trust issue and Obama clearly no longer has the trust of the ameican people

The Patriot Act has kept America safe. Most Democrats that were against it were so just because Bush was President. I wold expect them to feel much better with Obama in office.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I trusted Bush with the Patriot act. He used it against our enemies.

Tongue in cheek here, Richard...

Bush used the Patriot Act against his enemies; Obama's doing the same!

Now serious: Bush used it against those foreign terrorists determined to take the US down...

Obama's using it against those trying to prevent him from taking the US down...

For the record, Acts and Powers like this needed to be sunsetted immediately upon change of Presidencies, and the need reviewed and re-voted as the first order of business by the incoming Congressional session.

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted By: Richard Holbrook

Now serious: Bush used it against those foreign terrorists determined to take the US down...

For the record, Acts and Powers like this needed to be sunsetted immediately upon change of Presidencies, and the need reviewed and re-voted as the first order of business by the incoming Congressional session.

If what I just heard on radio is correct the patriot act may be needed by Obama for his "home terrorists"

Bill Press interviewing Maxine Waters is a little scary in how far we have come down this road with Obama and his administration.

In a free country,dissent is accepted and part of our freedoms,or so I thought

Maxine Waters wants the "protesters" this past weekend to be explored as to their racism.

How can they do that without names. Even if this stops right here with these two,what a sad day for our country as it shows the mindset of the "tolerant" "compassionate" liberals

Repetition of the history of 1910's and 1930's...and people still think it can't happen here...

Repetition of the history of 1910's and 1930's...and people still think it can't happen here...

I am not sure when a racist view was illegal or the busines of people like Maxine Waters. Acting out racist views where someone is harmed is illegal,not their viewpoint. I am beginning to think this is on such a roll it cannot be stopped and will lead to racial wars,I do think that is exactly what is wanted. If Obama doesn't take the bully pulpit as he did for AIG employee's and others and condemn this and come out strongly against those doing this,he is as much to blame. Maybe he thinks he can stand above the fray by not saying anything,hoping to reap a benefit. Little like Pilate

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ers-for-racism

Waters: Probe 'birthers and the teabaggers' at rallies for racist views

By Michael O'Brien - 09/16/09 12:10 PM ET

The media should investigate the racial views of conservative activists like the ones who descended on Washington last weekend, one liberal congresswoman said Wednesday.

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) said that it's not enough for African-Americans to levy allegations of racism against the right-leaning protesters, and that the media must look into their views.

"I want those people talked to; I want them interviewed," Waters told the liberal Bill Press Radio show in a podcast. "I want journalists to be all over those rallies and the marches with the birthers and the teabaggers."

"What I'm looking for is the very people who carry the signs who are referring to the policies in very, very strange ways like 'Obamacare' and 'Barry Obamacare with Kennedy,'" she said. "What I've been interested in is hearing from those people that everybody's referring to -- everybody on the Mall, in the rally."

Tens of thousands of conservative activists took to the National Mall last weekend to protest the Obama administration, specifically its stance on healthcare reform. Examples of incendiary rhetoric touching on racial overtones from some protesters have emerged on blogs in the days since the rally.

"I think it's not enough for African-Americans to say what they think, what they suspect," Waters said. "I think that if you put the microphones in front of them, if you do the interviews, they'll tell you what they believe, what they think."

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/t...backintime.jpg

Originally Posted By: Richard Holbrook

I agree. That's what I was saying in a subtle way.

One of my flat spots, Richard, is that I'm many times as subtle as a jackhammer....