ClubAdventist is back!

Obamacare:Buy Insurance Or Go To Jail

http://www.politico.com/livepulse/0909/Flout_the_mandate_penalty_Face_the_IRS.html?showall

And we spell FREEDOM how??

September 24, 2009

Categories: Senate

Flout the mandate penalty? Face the IRS

Americans who fail to pay the penalty for not buying insurance would face legal action from the Internal Revenue Service, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation.

The remarks Thursday from the committee's chief of staff, Thomas Barthold, seems to further weaken President Barack Obama's contention last week that the individual mandate penalty, which could go as high as $1,900, is not a tax increase.

Under questioning from Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.), Barthold said the IRS would "take you to court and undertake normal collection proceedings."

Ensign pursued the line of questioning because he said a lot of Americans don't believe the Constitution allows the government to mandate the purchase of insurance.

"We could be subjecting those very people who conscientiously, because they believe in the U.S. Constitution, we could be subjecting them to fines or the interpretation of a judge, all the way up to imprisonment," Ensign said. "That seems to me to be a problem."

Ensign's argument , however, wasn't persuasive to the committee -- which rejected an amendment from Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.) to eliminate the individual mandate.

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) was the only Republican to vote with Democrats to preserve the mandate.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Members

My last time that I did my taxes I had to show that I had insurance coverage. So that's already old news to me.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

My last time that I did my taxes I had to show that I had insurance coverage. So that's already old news to me.

pk

We had to have proof as we were self employed because we deducted the insurance premiums I have never heard anyone that has to show proof other than that

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Members

This last income tax that I did I had to have insurance papers showing that I'm covered, my wife is covered. Oh you know what maybe it was my state tax, maybe that was it and not the federal.

pk

phkrause

This last income tax that I did I had to have insurance papers showing that I'm covered, my wife is covered. Oh you know what maybe it was my state tax, maybe that was it and not the federal.

pk

I can't see it was federal. We deducted a portion of our premiums

and if challenged we would need to be able to prove it.

State didn't require proof either.

HEY BONNIE

WOW that is interesting how OBAMA is seemingly

trying to force people to get insurance

dgrimm60

If it goes thru and left to the tender mercies of the IRS it will be reality

• Members

Just getting back about healthcare coverage, bonnie. I definitely had to show on my mass income tax return that we had health insurance for the year. And me having been unemployed for part of the year still had to be covered. We have a piece of paper from our health insurance supplier that had to be sent in. I didn't have to send the actual paperwork in because I do my taxes online, but I do have to fill out a 1099-HC paperwork. And like I said I think that's 2 years in a row now.

pk

phkrause

Just getting back about healthcare coverage, bonnie. I definitely had to show on my mass income tax return that we had health insurance for the year. And me having been unemployed for part of the year still had to be covered. We have a piece of paper from our health insurance supplier that had to be sent in. I didn't have to send the actual paperwork in because I do my taxes online, but I do have to fill out a 1099-HC paperwork. And like I said I think that's 2 years in a row now.

pk

Maybe it is because of Mass state health care.

Would you face a hefty fine and possible jail sentence or refusing to have it?

• Members

The letter just say's a penalty, so not sure what that means, I would assume some kind of fee.

pk

phkrause

The letter just say's a penalty, so not sure what that means, I would assume some kind of fee.

pk

My husband was always self employed. If we deducted medical coverage we only had to be prepared to show proof if challenged.