ClubAdventist is back!

Berlin Wants No Part In Potential 9/11 Excecutions

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4914841,00.html

Berlin wants no part in potential 9/11 execution

The New York twin towers, burning

Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: Germany like all of Europe, except for Belarus, has no death penalty

A legal team is going to New York to prevent the use of evidence provided by Germany in seeking a death penalty. Berlin wants to ensure that promises made by the US are kept if the suspects are found guilty.

A team of observers from the German government is going to New York to oversee the trial of five suspects accused of orchestrating the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States, the news magazine Der Spiegel reported on Saturday.

The federal trial of the suspect Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his four co-defendants was announced on November 13 by the US Justice Department. The government also asserted that it intends to seek the death penalty if the accused are found guilty.

Germany, which does not have a death penalty, provided evidence for the trial on the condition that it could not be used to support a death sentence. Several members of the al Qaeda cell that planned and executed the attacks of September 11 were previously based in the northern German city of Hamburg.

"In this case we will observe very closely that the given assurances are kept," Justice Minister Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger said.

However it was unclear exactly how evidence from Germany would be distinguished from evidence procured from elsewhere.

The defense lawyer for one of the accused, Ramzi Binalshibh, said that a conviction of his client would "scarcely be possible without evidence from Germany."

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Members

And if they had a military trial, this would change Germany's mind on the death penalty? I'm just guessing that the guy writing this is implying that we shouldn't try these guys in NY? I agree with that, but this doesn't change what Germany is going to do, in the end they do not want the death penalty.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

And if they had a military trial, this would change Germany's mind on the death penalty? I'm just guessing that the guy writing this is implying that we shouldn't try these guys in NY? I agree with that, but this doesn't change what Germany is going to do, in the end they do not want the death penalty.

pk

Not sure.Perhaps a military trial and sentnece carried out is not viewed the same.

Heard today that the ones on trial will no longer plead guilty or ask to be executed to become martyrs

Obama has already pronounced them guilty and that they surely will be put to death.Isn't saying something like that prior to a trial considered tainting the jury pool,especially when it is said by the president of the country trying them

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

In that case I guess we should just skip the trial then.

Personally I don't think this is as much about the terrorists as it is a method to get at Bush.

On a local radio program yesterday and today the risk that it is

putting others at is mind boggling.

All those involved have to be brought forward. That includes all that are uncover,the intelligence,how it was obtained and by whom.

How would you like to be part of the jury to find them guilty?

Or any witness that testified against them?

The safe transport everyday from jail to court house will be a logistical nightmare.

Many people may very well end up paying for this but our fearless leader can go after Bush without appearing to go after Bush.

There is no reason this could not have been a military tribunal.

• Members

Germany, which does not have a death penalty, provided evidence for the trial on the condition that it could not be used to support a death sentence. Several members of the al Qaeda cell that planned and executed the attacks of September 11 were previously based in the northern German city of Hamburg.

Its obvious from this that, at least to me, that it matters not. They are against the death penalty. I personally would like to see a military trail but its not to be I guess.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Originally Posted By: Richard Holbrook
In that case I guess we should just skip the trial then.

Personally I don't think this is as much about the terrorists as it is a method to get at Bush.

On a local radio program yesterday and today the risk that it is

putting others at is mind boggling.

All those involved have to be brought forward. That includes all that are uncover,the intelligence,how it was obtained and by whom.

How would you like to be part of the jury to find them guilty?

Or any witness that testified against them?

The safe transport everyday from jail to court house will be a logistical nightmare.

Many people may very well end up paying for this but our fearless leader can go after Bush without appearing to go after Bush.

There is no reason this could not have been a military tribunal.

You're right Bonnie, the whole thing is ludicrous.