ClubAdventist is back!

Tiger, Barack, and the Law of Transitivity

January 598,000 lost their jobs

November 11,000!

Add the numbers that are not counted.Those that have settled for low paying part time jobs.Those that have just quit looking.

The millions receiving federal unemployment benefits not counted.

Add to that Nov was counted in a holiday 3 day week. Two days of many unemployment offices closed.

The bills have not come due yet and they will.

I also believe at some point we will face the economic times the bible speaks of at the end times.

Are we there yet? Don't know. I would not be one of the ones saying ,Nope,not yet.

Nor am I heading for the mountains yet.

But much of what is going on has a pretty familiar ring if I think back to what I have read.

Will we get a reprieve from the economic mess for a time? Maybe.

One thing I know is that neither you or I know.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

In fact the number who lost jobs in January was over 700,000. The turn around is even more stunning that I first realized.

Are you saying more people are losing their jobs now that they were 11 months ago?

Are you saying that 700, 000 people a month are still losing their jobs? Clearly things are not as bad as they were.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

In fact the number who lost jobs in January was over 700,000. The turn around is even more stunning that I first realized.

Are you saying more people are losing their jobs now that they were 11 months ago?

Are you saying that 700, 000 people a month are still losing their jobs? Clearly things are not as bad as they were.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Moderators

If we accept the true unemployment rate as being 17.2 we still have to concede that the economy is not hemorrhaging jobs like it was at the beginning of the year. Things are better. The economy is still in trouble but clearly stability is returning to the economic scene.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

If we accept the true unemployment rate as being 17.2 we still have to concede that the economy is not hemorrhaging jobs like it was at the beginning of the year. Things are better. The economy is still in trouble but clearly stability is returning to the economic scene.

Not hemorrhaging jobs is not necessarily better. Just because they rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic doesn't mean the Titanic isn't sinking.

If you have 2,000 without jobs and you only count 1,000 on unemployment because you have shoved the other 1,000 on the government dole,you still have 2,000 not working.

The fancy footwork with figures doesn't change the facts only shifts them around.

Just as the optimistic,"I will not add one dime to the deficit for health care" by Obama.

Simply not true but maybe he can keep dancing long enough to keep a few, and that is dropping, that actually believe him.

Sounds good but is patently false.

Those that he is so concerned about that are dying without insurance will keep right on dying for the next four years while he socks it to you in costs that you get to pay without any benefit for years.400 billion in new taxes and 500 billion cut in medicare services as they lower the age of medicare benefits. Medicare is broke,maybe someone should tell them that. Only government says "We are broke,let's spend more and then we will have more in our checkbook" Great plan and only the government can make you think it is good for you. He does forget to explain about what will happen after the ten years. If a business handling the money of others as the administration is handling our money,they would be in jail. He just takes more and says "Tough,like it or shutup"

The dollar is falling, a variety of taxes over and above health care will soon hit,China owns us almost body and soul,EPA is about to sock it to small business and he spends and spends and spends.Can't pay our debt now so as all bright politicians just raise the debt ceiling as they just did.

I think it is clear the economy is not as bad as it was a year ago. However all those jobs that were lost over all those months haven't come back. Companies are not expanding and hiring. I don't think they will until we get health-care reformed passed and they know what the future is going to hold tax wise. The EPA talking about CO2 being a pollutant isn't helping anything either. If they start cracking down on CO2 emissions we will see jobs fly down to Mexico much faster than anything that happened after NAFTA. Mexico will be more than happy to have US factories emitting CO2 in their country.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I think it is clear the economy is not as bad as it was a year ago. However all those jobs that were lost over all those months haven't come back. Companies are not expanding and hiring. I don't think they will until we get health-care reformed passed and they know what the future is going to hold tax wise. The EPA talking about CO2 being a pollutant isn't helping anything either. If they start cracking down on CO2 emissions we will see jobs fly down to Mexico much faster than anything that happened after NAFTA. Mexico will be more than happy to have US factories emitting CO2 in their country.

No one has yet explained a jobless recovery. It has been said by more than one that many of the jobs will never come back and a higher unemployment rate will be the reality.The large numbers out of work would probably not agree that the economy is not as bad.

Maybe someone should explain to Obama why businesses are not expanding.He doesn't seem to get it. He just tells the small business man this is not the time to make a profit.They will give longer hours if necessary to those that remain rather than be on the hook for a big tax surprise for new employee's.

You can see the businesses doing that here. Those that run their own business are a bit smarter than the politicians that have never held a real job

Business will expand again once all this pending legislation is passed. Of course, business may expand right into Mexico depending on the outcome of the legislation but it will expand again. I think the big thing holding everything back is pending legislation.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Just using your post for the 11,000 figure, Laz. The rest is adding comments to the general discussion that followed...

America lost ONLY 11,000 jobs in November.

Hmmmm...

And the each of the two months prior to that, the loss was still six digits, not five.

Sounds to me that the temporary help of the holiday season has cut into - but not reversed - the steep job decline America has been experiencing for over a year now.

I would also add that any January statistic is necessarily affected by the loss of the same jobs. So, I will wait to see how the the upcoming Feb numbers look on that, before I can say our economy has stopped the job hemmorage.

Bonnie's right - the long-term unemployed are not figured into the current jobless figures. All of the "emergency spending measures" passed so hastily haven't put those people back to work - and they won't, either. The longer the job losses continue, the jobless figures will start dropping the huge losses seen at first from the unemployment figures, and...Miracle of miracles! low unemployment figures and a potempkin recovery! Problem solved!

However, all of the current spending - this total dedication to Keynesian economics - will soon translate into severe inflation. Keynesian economics (In a nutshell, spend our way to prosperity) has never worked in a practical, real world setting - it doesn't work for the average citizen, either (which is why bankruptcy is so endemic to our times). All it brings is severe inflation and stagnant/depressed economies everywhere it is tried. When the current spending orgy catches up with the US, our inflation will become severe. That, coupled with the taxes laid in store to be put on American's backs, could break the economy down further, with more layoffs, business closings.

In short, I do not see the evidence to suggest the US is even close to stemming the economic tide out. I do see, on the horizon, a second wave coming in that will do more damage to our economy and our livelihoods than what have witnessed over he past year.

Funny how this thread morphed from a discussion of Tiger and Barak to economics...

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan