ClubAdventist is back!

Are we appropriating the merits of Christ to ourselves?

skyblue888

Quote:
"The spirit of Pharisaism is the spirit of human nature." (MB 79)

Nice quote. A bit of irony is that we read the story of the publican and the Pharisee (who prayed, "I thank you God that I'm not like other men, especially not like that publican") and think, "Thank God I'm not like that Pharisee".

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skyblue888

• Gerr

• pnattmbtc

• Woody

"All they did was to be seen of men"

In other words outwardly they were keeping the law, but motivationally they were keeping it for self-centered reasons. This is "works of iniquity"....Works done for show...works done with a bent-towards-self....Works done for egocentric reasons.

If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love [agape - an unconditional, selfless love], I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking