ClubAdventist is back!

Should Adventists own guns?

abelisle

Wow.. If we are going to talk about should Adventists own guns, we might as well ask if Adventists should smoke, drink alcohol, do drugs,etc.

k3ur8n.gif

GP-to no one in particular

I work in the medical field, as a first responder to Code situations. I am a Repiratory Therapist. And I have seen the devestating effects of an accidental gun shooting, by kids at kids.

I have shot guns before. I see nothing wrong with owning a gun.

Shoot, David, a soldier before he became King, owned a bow and arrow and a spear.... and still was loved by the Lord.

When I hold a gun for target practice, I can feel the power that this bring to me. I have a big temptation for power...contrary to some people's thinking. And yes, I know how to take care of a gun and I can shoot fairly well....I can come within 3 inches of what I point at in a 100 yard target shoot. Maybe that qualifys me as a sharp shooter.

I don't own guns. My musings are that if someone were to point one at me or my family, I would do whatever it took to prevent that...except for owning a gun... And if they took out my spouse or kids and left me alive, I would be sad...but I would not use the gun . You see, I KNOW that I would see my family again...I have that much of a belief in the resurrection...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

Wow.. If we are going to talk about should Adventists own guns, we might as well ask if Adventists should smoke, drink alcohol, do drugs,etc.

Can you say more about this? Show how they are comparable or on the same level morally?

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

My husband has a gun, for shooting varmints that raid the garden and fruit trees at the farm.

I don't have one, but I have thought now and then about getting a hand gun, mostly when I am threatened with serious bodily harm by the vicious dog along my walking route who hates me. Then there was the obviously sick raccoon who chased me one day, and the reports of a cougar in the area. But to me, the potential for someone being hurt or even killed accidentally by a gun in my home is enough to dissuade me from following through on that idea. Besides, I couldn't hit the side of a barn, so it wouldn't do me any good to carry a gun.

Of course, I probably could manage at really close range, which is where the dog would have to be before I tried to shoot him anyway. I'm not going to hurt him for doing his job of protecting his people, only if he actually tried to attack would I do anything to harm him. I do carry a squirt gun full of straight ammonia to shoot him in the face if he does, but I have serious doubts that it would work well enough to save me. I need a super soaker, but I don't want to carry anything that big with me.

Anyway, the dog is getting old, and I am hoping and praying he won't be around much longer. He HAS to go sometime, right?

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Originally Posted By: Cosmin

Can you say more about this? Show how they are comparable or on the same level morally?

I was trying to make a point by saying that if we are debating over something like this, sooner or later people will go, yeah it is ok for us Adventists to have guns, then it will be like, it's ok for us to smoke and drink...

k3ur8n.gif

• Members

that's a non sequitor, IMO, ntim

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

I was trying to make a point by saying that if we are debating over something like this, sooner or later people will go, yeah it is ok for us Adventists to have guns, then it will be like, it's ok for us to smoke and drink...

OK, I see what you mean. We know that smoking and drinking alcohol is harmful for our health, but in what way is owning a gun for hunting or target practice wrong?

If you were trying to convince an SDA or any other Christian to get rid of his gun, what would you say?

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

I have nothing against hunting rifles. I am just against guns in the house if you have kids.

I really don't know how to convince one, if he is scared I would tell him this...

"What kind of Christian are you anyways? You carry a gun because your afraid of getting attacked or mugged by someone? Then your lack of faith is disturbing..."

k3ur8n.gif

• Members

You don't think Christians get mugged or attacked??? You can have all the faith in the world and still get your head chopped off if you look sideways at some people.

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

You can still get your head chopped of with a gun... I'd rather die with my faith in God then in a gun...

Fine. Don't carry a gun. No one is forcing you to do it. reyes

• Members

so, go steal one...don't you have any imagination?

• Members

just borrow it..

You can still get your head chopped of with a gun... I'd rather die with my faith in God then in a gun...

That's your choice to make. But it's not your business to pass judgment on anyone who chooses differently.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Quote:

"What kind of Christian are you anyways? You carry a gun because your afraid of getting attacked or mugged by someone? Then your lack of faith is disturbing..."

Your being able to judge the faith of another the faith of another is disturbing.

Are you saying that any that are attacked are not christian or just not christian by your definition.

Christians get attacked and killed all the time. God does not remove all obstacles for you no matter how serious they may be. However He will not fail to give you the strength to deal with what happens in your life

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Like I said before: Unless you are a total idiot, there is nothing wrong with having a gun. I don't recommend guns for idiots. They are better off without them.

Anyone who is presumptuous enough to try and tell me I shouldn't own a gun because I am a SDA, Might as well try to tell me I shouldn't own a guitar because I am SDA. They both have their specific use and purpose.

If I didn't own guns, how would I target shoot with my buddies on Sunday afternoon?

If I didn't own guitars, how would I play the music I love to play, when I have time?

• Moderators

...I'd rather die with my faith in God then in a gun...

I really wouldn't want to try and convince you to do otherwise. We shouldn't do or say things that would appear to be discouraging someone's faith in God.

"It's a personal decision" is the best response. My take is this: I am a former US Army Special Forces (Green Beret) trained in medicine. I also know how to use most weapons. I was in a deep discussion with a friend a few weeks ago about guns. When you have a gun, you always think about that gun. You bring it out of the car, carry it on your person, you always are thinking about that gun. When you come home and eat dinner, you put your gun in its place. When you go to bed, the gun is in its place. For me, that's too much thinking about an object. I have enough to think about with my cell phone, keys, wallet, checkbook, etc. Adding a gun to that is more than I want on my mind. And don't even think about what goes through your mind if the gun is missing. My friend said that he lived in Jamaica and twice he was confronted by men with guns, and he was able to talk his way out of the situations. He probably wouldn't have done than if he had a gun in his pocket. Then what happens if they're just a little bit faster? My $0.02

• Like 1

• Members

"It's a personal decision" is the best response. My take is this: I am a former US Army Special Forces (Green Beret) trained in medicine. I also know how to use most weapons. I was in a deep discussion with a friend a few weeks ago about guns. When you have a gun, you always think about that gun. You bring it out of the car, carry it on your person, you always are thinking about that gun. When you come home and eat dinner, you put your gun in its place. When you go to bed, the gun is in its place. For me, that's too much thinking about an object. I have enough to think about with my cell phone, keys, wallet, checkbook, etc. Adding a gun to that is more than I want on my mind. And don't even think about what goes through your mind if the gun is missing. My friend said that he lived in Jamaica and twice he was confronted by men with guns, and he was able to talk his way out of the situations. He probably wouldn't have done than if he had a gun in his pocket. Then what happens if they're just a little bit faster? My $0.02

Excellent post Tallmark.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

..When you have a gun, you always think about that gun. You bring it out of the car, carry it on your person, you always are thinking about that gun.

I'm sure some people may do this, but is it true for most people or for everyone? Doubtless it depends on the individual.

I agree with you that if someone is reacting this way to having a gun, they probably would be better off without one.

Most people that have a gun in their home do not strap it on like Wyatt Earp when they leave home.Nor do most people spend that much time fixated on the fact they have a gun at home.

People that do not own a gun seem to spend a lot more time thining about it than those that do

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman