ClubAdventist is back!

Barney Frank's Flip Flop on Fannie and Freddie Oversight

Barney Frank's flip flop on Fannie and Freddie oversight

Ethel C. Fenig

That was then:

Six years ago, in September 2003, when then President George W. Bush ® proposed placing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac under the supervision of a new agency within the Treasury Department because of deep concern whether its $1.5 trillion mortgage debt was properly run and because of charges of accounting irregularities, Rep Barney Frank (D-MA), head of the House Financial Services Committee, which oversees these two government backed agencies, retorted, as reported by the NY Times:

''These two entities - Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac - are not facing any kind of financial crisis,'' said Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts, the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee. ''The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.''

This is now:

Less then a week after Senator elect Scott Brown (R-MA) overturned politics in Massachusetts (yes, even I can spell it without spell check although I don't live in the state and am not running for office there), including capturing Barney Frank's district , Jordan Fabian of The Hill informs us that Frank now proposes:

"I believe this committee will be recommending abolishing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in their current form and coming up with a whole new system of housing finance," he said at a committee hearing. "That's the approach, rather than the piecemeal one."

As Fabian so delicately explains.

Frank's words cast doubt on the future of two two (sic) mortgage giants, which have received over $110 billion in government assistance after they nearly failed during the flood of defaulted mortgages during the housing crisis.

The Massachusetts Democrat earlier this month said that Fannie and Freddie are now serving as a public policy arm of the government.

Is that Bush's fault also?

Grab those tea bags and tea party on! The revolution has begun!

Change so many of us can really believe in.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Grab those tea bags and tea party on! The revolution has begun!

Change so many of us can really believe in.

Dare we to hope for a return to the founding principles of this country?

How about a true currency with actual value? One based on gold or silver. We haven't had that since the fifties. If we had that, we could count on being the reserve currency of the entire world, because, since the Swiss abandoned their gold-based currency, there isn't one left.

Back to the revolution. I'm all for it.

I hate to be a sceptic, but conservatives had control back in Newt Gingrich's heyday and they basically pretended they were democrats once they were elected. Who is to say they won't derail a conservative movement again and in the same way?

Quote:

Dare we to hope for a return to the founding principles of this country?

Probably not.I think the most we can hope for is a reprieve.

Quote:
Back to the revolution. I'm all for it.

I hate to be a sceptic, but conservatives had control back in Newt Gingrich's heyday and they basically pretended they were democrats once they were elected. Who is to say they won't derail a conservative movement again and in the same way?

Not a thing.They may hold firm for awhile because people are so angry and disgusted.

Conservatism is work and to many in this country think work is a swear word.

There are far to many that really don't care if they rise higher as long as those with more are brought lower.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman