ClubAdventist is back!

Digital Video Cameras

Michelle

We're kind of looking to get a digital video camera for ease of travel (since we're going to China for a couple of weeks, we don't want a significant weight addition with our 10 year old Cannon 8mm video camera). I'm curious if there is one out there that is simultaneously purse-sized or at least backpack size, has decent optical zoom, and has a way of holding significant amounts of data without being downloaded (since we don't necessarily want to take the laptop along to download--kind of defeats the purpose of not taking the Cannon!). And takes decent video at the same time. We're not asking for much, I know! grin.gif We found one that was a nice size, but not enough memory.

I have a Pentax Optio S4 digital camera that I love because of the size--tiny and pocket size. if I could have a matching video, it would be very easy to carry along on the various modes of transportation (bus, plane, several different classes of train).

Michelle

• Moderators

Digital video tends to be huge - 15 GB an hour or so - so unless the laptop has a huge hard drive it would get full very quickly anyway. That's the beuty of tape, though - you can just pop in another. So I'd recommend a mini-DV one that fits your other requirements. Don't have a specific recommendation because I've mainly used ones that are physically bigger than you want.

Truth is important

Thanks for the links, Bevin.

The digital camera we had looked at and liked the size did NOT have the kind of memory capability that we need.

My ignorance--I didn't realize there were digital cameras which used tape. I assumed they were all on a "stick" or disk. Hmmm. (actually, I know virtually nothing about cameras--obviously!)

If we don't come up with something, we'll just take the Canon along. I'm just thinking of the week+ that I'll be there with the boys and no DH, and I don't want to be lugging too much around! (even with only a backpack apiece, that Canon gets heavy!)

M

• Moderators

We have a Sony mini-DV, which uses tape, and we are quite satisfied with it.

A newer technology uses a mini-CD (mini-DVD?) which takes less space than a mini-DV.

My suggestion is that you purchase one of the two.

However, if you want to go to a slightly larger camera, there are a few that take a full-sized CD/DVD (I have forgotten which.). But, the two mini versions mentioned above are most popular, and generally the smallest. [Of course, is you wanted to go professional, and were willing to spend several thousand dollars, you could purchae some larger cameras.]

You can still purchase some older technology cameras. Some of those are digital, and some are analog. I recommend that you do not purchase any of them, but only purchase from what I have mentioned above.

Gregory

I have a mini-DV one that I haven't used in years. It was a gift to me about 4 or 5 years ago, think the last time I used it was 2002? It works fine, I just don't have much occasion to get it out.

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot