ClubAdventist is back!

what to do about Newly???

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

As you know, my Bernese Mountain Dog puppy, Newly, is a handful. He has me completely baffled about what to do. He won't get into my 2 door hatchback car, but he will willingly get into the back seat of a 4-door car. He was getting me up at all hours of the night to go outside, and I was in tears when I talked to my mom last Friday. She came down to my house and took Newly back to her house.

Newly has been a pretty good dog for my mom. But she has a much larger back yard than I do and a nice covered patio to lay on. He had been trained not to walk on linoleum floors, so the kitchen is off limits to him. But my mom has been sleeping on the sofa by the patio door every night since then, just in case he has to go outside. She said she doesn't mind, but I can't let that go on forever.

I go down to see my Mom and Newly every day. Two days ago my mom just looked at me and said you're not going to believe what he did. Newly had taken a 6 ft long 2 ft wide length of carpeting that had been on the patio and he was out in the yard, swinging that thing for all he was worth! My mom thought at first he was fighting with a great blue heron bird...but it was the carpeting.

Yesterday I got down to Mom's and she looked at me again and said, "You're not going to believe this" and proceeded to tell me that Newly had gotten into her wildflower/wilderness area that she has in the back yard and he chewed off the ears of the three cement rabbits (about 1 ft high) and chewed the face off of a cement squirrel that Mom had in her garden, then dragged everything out into the patio walkway...that dog is STRONG. And I bet he weighs close to 100 lbs...he's nearly as big as Rudy was, and Rudy was 120 lbs.

This morning he had the carpeting back out in the yard when I went down to Mom's, and it was raining when I lugged it, dripping wet, back up onto the patio. Newly just is being a puppy. He's only 8 months old. Oh...and yesterday he started nibbling on one of my mom's dining room chair legs. He buries his "treat bones" that my mom gave him outside. If you dig one up, then he'll eat it, dirt and all.

I've been in contact with the Bernese Mountain Dog Rescue, and I think they would take and put him into a foster home while they evaluated him for a permanent home. But I don't want him placed anywhere where he might be mistreated at all. Bernese dogs are very sensitive and you don't need to use a choke collar on them to train them. And I couldn't stand it if I thought anyone would hit him at all.

I don't know what to do. Newly has bonded to both me and my mom. And I've bonded to him. If I could only get him to a training place, but my mom won't let me drive her car and Newly won't get into mine.

I want a dog so bad... This is just killing me.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I can feel your pain Rudywoofs.

Thank you for the update.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Training sounds like a good idea... I wonder if they would have some good hints.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

My mom is funny. She will not let me drive her car under any circumstances! She'll let my brother drive it when he is up here, but not me. If I *could* use it, that would take care of getting Newly to a training session every week, getting to the vet, and taking him wherever he needed to go. It would solve most of my problem. She is adamant though. I don't know why. I used to drive my dad's truck when my car was in the shop, and he didn't mind.

I don't know any church member well enough to ask to borrow their car, especially to take a dog in it. I don't know how Newly would do getting into a pick-up truck. He's plenty strong enough to jump in, but he's afraid to do things.

I have an email to the Bernese Mtn Dog Rescue team - the leader said they have a volunteer on the rescue team who works only 5 minutes from where I live, so someone might come out to my mom's house on Friday morning to assess Newly. They said they had an application from a couple where the husband worked at home, which would be great, but not if they have small children. Newly is way too strong. I was playing with him tonight and he bonked me in the head and twisted my neck with his front paws, and IT HURT! But he didn't understand that he shouldn't do things like that.

He's just a big, strong dog who's going to get even bigger and stronger, but he has such a tender loving heart. I don't want him to get hurt.

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Have you been taking him out for a walk every night?

Dogs need this to get thier energy out of them. And didn't I read some wheres that you need to get out and lose some weight? What better way than with this dog that you love?

And show that dog who's boss, would you? Grab him by the scruff of the neck and firmly place him down on the ground. This is what the pack-leaders do in dog culture. Let him KNOW who is boss.

Quit trying to make him into a human. Let him know who is leader of the pack in this house...And you are a leader.

You don't have to strike him. But love him to do the things you want. He'll do it....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Members

HAHAHAHA....Me lose some weight? I've lost over 70 pounds in the last 8 months, and not by choice. I can fit two of me into the jeans I used to wear.

No, I haven't been taking him out for walks at night...bad neighborhood and no sidewalks. And he's living down with my mom atm (but she's only 6 blocks away).

I'm able to roll this dog over on to his back and keep him there. I had learned that that's a sign of submission. He just thinks he's still a little puppy and tries to get on my lap, but he's way too big. I can't figure out how to make him understand that.

I just had an email from the Rescue Team leader. She said that if I had Newly neutered it would probably calm him down due to the decrease in testosterone. I had Rudy neutered at 6 mos, and asked the old owners of Newly why they hadn't had it done, and they said the vet recommended it not be done until he was 1 year old and all his baby teeth were out. (I think they're all out now! Especially after chewing on those cement rabbit ears!)

HAHAHAHA....Me lose some weight? I've lost over 70 pounds in the last 8 months, and not by choice. I can fit two of me into the jeans I used to wear.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Members

But I don't live in Spokane. I live just west of Portland. But the gangs out here in this county are really bad. My mom told me tonight that Washington County now has a higher percentage of Hispanics than Caucasians living in the county. I'm a minority now. I wonder if I can apply for minority financial assistance....

• Moderators

Does minority financial insurance exist?

Raising a big dog from puppyhood means having lots of things destroyed and counting the days until they grow out of it. I haven't had your breed, but have had German Shepherds, which of all the large breeds I've had, required the most patience and attention for a good two to three years until puppy antics are finally over. Now, when I want to get a dog, I choose a full-grown one from the shelter after weeks of visiting and looking over the animals to make sure I get one that can bond with me. This way I avoid the puppy problems!

I am so sorry this has been such a trial for you. Keeping a pet complicates life, but it can be rewarding and provide loving companionship. I am sure the rescue group will do everything they can to find a home where Newly will be well treated.

LD

LD

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, rudywoof... I can sympathize because I've had my dog for 10 years and he still barely knows how to act around people even with obedience school!

Maybe you could check out a training book from the library. They usually have some good ones.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Administrators

Dogs are a lot like humans when it comes to mental abilities. Uncle Ernest used to say, "Most people are below average."

That is hilarious!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Pam - -

So sorry to hear about Newly. I had an Aussie a couple of years ago that I had to give up. It hurt so-o-o much. But sonny was chasing him with sticks and teasing him so bad that he was licking the hair off his bottom. He was just so loving, and wanted to do whatever I asked. I used to put him in the back of my explorer and fasten his harness to the tie-down. He got so he would jump in with no problem.

I called an Aussie rescue and took him to someone who promised to find a home for him that would be able to better care for his needs. I would definitely recommend a breed-specific rescue, as they know more about your dog's breed than one who just takes in anything that comes along. BUT I know you want to keep Newly, so I will be praying that you work out what is best for both you and your pup.

Dottie

• Members

Pam sorry to hear all the problems your having. I think the training thing is a good idea! But it wont be cheap you know? You should call them, and see what they would suggest about getting him there.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Members

Well, I called the Bernese Mtn Dog Rescue, and someone is coming out tomorrrow morning to look at Newly. I still haven't decided to give him up though. After talking to the Rescue Leader on the phone she suggested that I go ahead and have Newly neutered now because it could be that the testosterone is just starting to kick in and making him so hyperactive sometimes. The big event for that will be on next Tuesday. Then I called about a dog training program....it's a six week program that will start a new session in two weeks. That will give Newly a chance to recover from his surgery.

AND GUESS WHAT??? I got Newly to get into my car by putting the front seat forward and putting some pillows on the back of the front seat floor. He hopped in with just a little bit of coaching. So he can ride in my car in the back seat!!!! :smile:

I'm doing my best to keep positive about keeping Newly. I'm in high hopes that the neutering plus the training will turn him around for me and I can keep him.

It's starting to sound pretty positive now, Pam. I guess you just need to learn how to deal with his issues and be patient.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

This part of Washington County, Tigard, is certainly mostly Caucasian. So it depends on the neighborhood.

Hate to say this - if you can't walk him, he's probably not the right companion for you and you're probably not the right family for him. BTDT, I know it's a really cold, hard rock on which to sit. It's really hard to pass them on to someone who's a better match - ah, that's true love.

duno

If you could take him walking regularly, crate train him. In fact, crate train him anyway. Then put the crate in the car. Uh, he's heavy - put the crate in the car w/ treats. Entice him, seduce him into that cute crate. The car's upholstery will live longer, too. BTDT, also, I know whereof I speak.

How bout an indoor rescue kitty? llama

Pindoc

Great news, Pam! Glad you got him in the car. He is getting more used to you and how you deal with him, and you are getting to understand him better, too.

Is there a dog park anywhere around that you could take him to to socialize him, and get him used to new situations?

What about a large area to teach him to walk with you, and give him some exercise at the same time?

Just throwing out ideas.

So happy for getting the big problem solved!

D.

Well, I called the Bernese Mtn Dog Rescue, and someone is coming out tomorrrow morning to look at Newly. I still haven't decided to give him up though. After talking to the Rescue Leader on the phone she suggested that I go ahead and have Newly neutered now because it could be that the testosterone is just starting to kick in and making him so hyperactive sometimes. The big event for that will be on next Tuesday. Then I called about a dog training program....it's a six week program that will start a new session in two weeks. That will give Newly a chance to recover from his surgery.

AND GUESS WHAT??? I got Newly to get into my car by putting the front seat forward and putting some pillows on the back of the front seat floor. He hopped in with just a little bit of coaching. So he can ride in my car in the back seat!!!! :smile:

I'm doing my best to keep positive about keeping Newly. I'm in high hopes that the neutering plus the training will turn him around for me and I can keep him.

This is most encouraging. Praise God

apple

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Awesome Pam, sounds like things just might work out after all. Praise the Lord.

pk

phkrause

• Members

I finally have Newly back home with me after him being with my mom at her home for a week. He's doing very well here so far. He found a squeaky toy that's driving me nuts, but I don't have the heart to take it away from him. He hopped right into the front seat without any coaxing at all.

The lady from the Bernese Mtn Dog Rescue came out yesterday to look at and evaluate Newly. She said he clearly had been abused at some point because he's so afraid of some things. He will walk on carpeting but avoids linoleum like the plague. He also is somewhat afraid of strange people, which is unusual for a Bernese...they usually love everyone. So, I think being able to take him places with me is going to help socialize him. I've already gotten an okay from my doctor to bring Newly to my appts. That should prove interesting. And the official training will start in 2 weeks.

The lady from the Rescue also said that she had a number of applicants who want a Bernese puppy (I forgot to ask how much money they ask for one of the rescued dogs), and that Newly would be an ideal puppy to place since we've already taught him to sit, down, come. I took him out for a walk this morning in the rain, and he doesn't pull on the leash...but he *does* like to *inspect* bushes and leave his mark... I just hope he works out for ME so I don't have to give him up to the Rescue.

I hope the nights will be better for me with him here than they were the first week. I have to get up at 5 AM to take my meds and I can take Newly outside at that time. The first week I was up almost all night letting him in and out. That was just more than I could handle. Mom said he sleeps through the night now without a problem...although he does tend to come up to her in bed. You can just *tell* someone is looking at you, and if you open your eyes, you're sunk.

• Members

This sounds great Pam, and things seem to be going better than you first thought? Keep us up dated.

pk

phkrause

It sounds like things are going well, and you are taking all the proper steps to get everything under control. I think that with diligence, patience, and love, you will have a very nice dog, and a devoted companion.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis