ClubAdventist is back!

India prohibits ultrasound ID of fetus gender

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

Indian radiologists wrestle with law to prevent imaging-based sex-selective abortions

The abortion of female fetuses has proved to be such a problem in India that the government has enacted laws prohibiting radiologists from informing would-be parents of the gender of the fetus, something that is easily found with ultrasound scans. There has been no organized opposition from Indian radiologists, indeed, the president of the Indian Radiological and Imaging Association backed the intent of the law in his inaugural speech, but a host of issues have stymied the implementation and created bureaucratic tangles for radiologists.

from Diagnostic Imaging.com

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

It's about time! We had that issue here in our Indo-Canadian community a while back.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

In China it was the Government making life miserable. In India, it is tradition.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Males carry on the family name, work the family business, and are social security for the parents. The two most notable areas of female infanticide are China and India. Female infanticide reflects the low status accorded to women in many parts of the world; it is arguably the most brutal and destructive manifestation of the anti-female bias that pervades "patriarchal" societies. It includes sex-selective abortion, which targets female fetuses almost exclusively, and neglect of girl children.

• Administrators

They also practise the dowry system over there (and here) still, too, which means that a bride comes with money from the family.

• Members

GAIL

WOULD they not have to obey the laws of CANADA

when it comes to things like that

just wondering

dgrimm60

You'd think that that would be the case!

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Administrators

I don't know if we have any dowry laws here. No one I know of my culture practises that.

There are probably more, but the Indo-Canadian culture is the only one I know of that does it. And that is where the big interest is (or was, I haven't followed the story lately) with wanting to know the gender of a fetus.

That is only one big issue in that community. There have been other stories in the news about wives being deserted after the dowry is given or the marriage is contracted. Also, I can think of two big stories where women who fell in love outside of family approval were murdered. One was a hairdresser who married outside her caste (she was from Maple Ridge here) and one father killed his young daughter for having a white boyfriend.

If the guilty parties escape back to India, legal red tape can delay persecution for months.

• Administrators

I mean, do you in the States have laws regarding dowries? How long has it been since European/N. American cultures have practised that? Was it even ever a part of our culture?

There probably wasn't a need for such laws until mass immigration made it an issue.

So- we will see how things go!

• Moderators

If they want to stop the practice of determining gender in utero, they should attack that crazy practice of requiring so much dowry for a woman to be married off. It seems to me, if a dowry is to be required, it should be the man that should be required to come up with a dowry to show that he can support a wife and family.

• Members

I mean, do you in the States have laws regarding dowries? How long has it been since European/N. American cultures have practised that? Was it even ever a part of our culture?

There probably wasn't a need for such laws until mass immigration made it an issue.

So- we will see how things go!

Not sure Gail. Most of or all my Jewish relatives do not speak to me or my family since we gave up the Jewish faith for the Adventist faith. So I can't ask them if they still practice this, but I wouldn't doubt it, that in some form or other they might. We were not brought up Jewish because my father didn't want the same thing to happen to us that happen to him. But from what I see around the world anti-semitism is starting up again and in a big way. But my Mom wanted to have some kind of a faith, so she probably prayed and an SDA bible worker from the Brooklyn German Church got a hold of her. And started giving her bible studies. Than after a few years she found an Jewish SDA church in the Bronx. We started going there and eventually my father also came and that's when his family didn't want anything to do with us.

Oh sorry backtopic

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

If they want to stop the practice of determining gender in utero, they should attack that crazy practice of requiring so much dowry for a woman to be married off. It seems to me, if a dowry is to be required, it should be the man that should be required to come up with a dowry to show that he can support a wife and family.

i think that was basically how it was in the Bible.

there is no try

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: Gerry Cabalo

i think that was basically how it was in the Bible.

Well, the Indians have it reversed. So if you have 3 girls or more, you could quickly become a pauper depending on how much dowry is required by the man and his family. I have read that the system has been abused so that a man can enrich himself and his family by getting rid of the wife in one way or another but keep the dowry and marry another woman. And if we had the same tradition here, I may never have met my wife. Her grandmother came from a family of TWELVE girls! Most of them would have wound up spinsters! I understand Egypt has the opposite problem. Many women or their families are asking exorbitant dowries that many men can't afford to get married.