ClubAdventist is back!

My parents

GreatLakesGramma

I took my mother to see her orthopedist yesterday. Her bones are healing OK, and we don't have to hover when she transfers between her wheelchair and the bed, commode, chair, etc. She's gotten her strength back, and is well able to make the transfer steadily and safely. Dad's the main concern now. He wants to help her, but he isn't really ready yet. He's getting pain killers, so he doesn't realize when he's stretching his limits too far. If he tears those blood vessels loose in his heart, he could bleed to death.

The physical therapist will be there tomorrow, and I told Mom she should ask her in front of Dad about the horizontal reaching he's doing. He was told not to lift his arm above his head, but we think stretching his arm to reach a distance away from his body has to be just as bad.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Thank you DGrimm. Whenever I'm not there, I'm worrying about my dad.

Catherine

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

My dad went to the emergency room in the middle of the night, having sharp chest pains that weren't being deadened by his pain medication. It turned out to be spasm in the muscles that had been cut, as they were trying to begin functioning again. They told him that if he keeps pushing his limits, it will take longer for everything to heal.

Catherine

Yes, the therapist came later in the day. He, my mother, my son, and my sister were in the ER most of the night, back home around 6 AM. The therapist said so long as he doesn't lift his elbow above his shoulder he's OK.

Catherine

We're not holding our breath.

Catherine

• Members

Thanks for the update GLG. Wow just one thing after the other. Still praying.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

My son was with my parents last night and all day today. I found out from him that they are going to be alone tonight, and probably tomorrow night too, because both of my sisters are sick, most likely from spending most of the night in the ER with my dad Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. He and Mom had a fight today because he keeps pushing his limits, which is why he ended up in the ER. He told her it's his choice to make, but his choices are causing the entire family to suffer.

We all have our own health issues, and we've all reached our limits and are paying the price for overdoing. I have a headache that won't go away, am tired and nauseated all the time, and have insomnia - a typical autoimmune flare-up for me. And I'm doing the best of the three of us. Now the stress of worrying about what my dad might do without any of us there to watch him, is making me feel even worse.

And I really have to go to church tomorrow, no matter how rotten I feel, because my son is singing for special music, and I have to accompany him.

I wish they would just keep my dad in the hospital where they can control what he can and cannot do, until he is ready to do all the things he insists he can handle. My son says he keeps saying "this probably won't hurt," then does what he knows he isn't supposed to do.

Catherine

• Members

Thanks for the update, and all I can say is you have a very interesting family. :)

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

PK, usually when people say "you have an interesting family," that's a safe way of saying "you're a bunch of loonies."

DGrimm, the song went well. I'm glad it's over. Next time, I hope he gives me more time to write an accompaniment.

My youngest sister isn't sick after all. Only her son is. She is there tonight. Tomorrow I'm only going over for a few hours to do whatever they need done. But I'm not going to stay overnight anymore. Other family members are going to in the coming week, but I can't take the late hours they keep, and I have a lot of catching up to do at home.

I'm not really mad at my dad, just on and off, but never for long. He's not a selfish person, just independent and stubborn. I can understand his not wanting to wait for someone else to do everything for him when he feels perfectly able to do it himself. I would feel the same way if I were in that position.

Dad has always been an early riser and a hard worker, and I think if he had to permanently stop being active, he wouldn't last very long. He just turned 79 yesterday, and he still gardens and always has at least one handyman project going on.

Catherine

• Administrators

truthseeker, good to see you again!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

GLG- is it "On to the next!" ?

That's what I say when I get over something.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Maybe. It depends on what "next" you mean.

Would it be something like waking in the night to the sound of my son throwing up in the bathroom? If that's the kind of "next" you mean, I'm there now. Sigh.

Catherine