ClubAdventist is back!

Why are killer whales killing their trainers?

Woody

According to the news ... this recently happened at Sea World. And it has happened a number of times.

What is going on with nature?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Oh! Oh! I know this one!! Pick me!! <waving hand wildly in the air> Pick me!!

<clearing throat> Because wild animals are not pets, and shouldn't be treated as such. Period.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Okay Liz. I see your hand. You may speak. But tell us what you really think.

I believe in Hematology.

I agree with you Liz. But, and I know this isn't exactly on topic but it's something I've been wondering, why do people have cats and dogs as pets? When did they become non-wild?

I've heard that the whale may simply have been playing with the trainer---as if the trainer were another whale.

I looked up news reports, since you didn't give us any link, Redwood. It appears that this particular whale has killed before. And it also appears that Sea World is covering it up. They say that the trainer appeared to have slipped or fallen into the tank, while spectators say the whale jumped up, grabbed her by the waist, and shook her violently.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

• Administrators

Hmm... I'm wondering what type of orca they were with- a resident type or a transient one? The transient ones are very dangerous. They feed on mammals rather than salmon and go for large prey

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Yes GLG. That would be correct. They interviewed witnesses on the news today.

I believe in Hematology.

While I haven't heard the specifics of this particular case, usually the animal is just playing, the problem comes in when they are so much bigger and stronger than humans, and then the human gets hurt or killed. Then the animal is labeled as a "killer" when it was just doing its natural thing.

As for when cats and dogs became "non-wild" I'm not sure, I know they had them as pets in Bible times. Cats of course, were worshipped in Egypt and they have never gotten over it. When did we start bringing any of the other animals in, birds, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, or snakes and lizards and things of that nature? Is it human nature to try and take care of things?

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Members

You know, and not trying to defend the Whale, we never know what's really happening behind the scenes. Did this whale get miss treated at some point? We will never know. I remember many years ago, heard about 2 dobermans that killed there owner. Of course the dogs where put to death. Well a few months or so later it was found out that the owner had been beating the animals, I think he reap what he had sown. I do think at this point the dogs might never have been able to go with another owner, since they've tasted blood like that? But not sure.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

This is very sad... that woman probably loved the whales a lot (and understandably so). This should be a wakeup call for attractions like this to have stricter safety standards and be more considerate of the needs of the whales. Whales and dolphins have quite similar brains to humans and have been shown to share many characteristics with us. Tillikum was probably bored and wanted to play when he "attacked", and that seems to be the case with his other killings. Since they come from the wild where they have many things to do, I bet whales in captivity often don't get enough stimulation.

Since killer whales don't typically eat humans, and Tillikum never ate his victims, I doubt it was premeditated. Just my thoughts though.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Members

This is very sad... that woman probably loved the whales a lot (and understandably so). This should be a wakeup call for attractions like this to have stricter safety standards and be more considerate of the needs of the whales. Whales and dolphins have quite similar brains to humans and have been shown to share many characteristics with us. Tillikum was probably bored and wanted to play when he "attacked", and that seems to be the case with his other killings. Since they come from the wild where they have many things to do, I bet whales in captivity often don't get enough stimulation.

Since killer whales don't typically eat humans, and Tillikum never ate his victims, I doubt it was premeditated. Just my thoughts though.

Well Sivart I think there very good thoughts none the less.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

If my memory is correct ... they said that Tillikum's first victim had teeth marks on him.

I believe in Hematology.

Hmm... I'm wondering what type of orca they were with- a resident type or a transient one? The transient ones are very dangerous. They feed on mammals rather than salmon and go for large prey

According to the articles, he was born wild, not raised in captivity.

Catherine

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

• Administrators

Originally Posted By: Gail

According to the articles, he was born wild, not raised in captivity.

GLG, that's not what I mean by resident orcas.

Resident orcas live in pods (big, matriarchal families). They don't travel much and eat fish. Because we are rich in salmon here we have lots of them. They are friendly and frequently meet whale-watching boats (and injure themselves with propellors, too)

The transient orcas are as the name suggest. They move around and live on their own. They eat large mammals like seals or otters. This is probably the killer whale which is the shark's enemy. This is the one that divers or swimmers need to beware. They are rather nasty.

The reason I know so much about our orcas is because I attended a long lecture by Dr. John Ford, a coastal expert here (you can Google him). He knows many of the B.C. resident orcas from his research.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

If my memory is correct ... they said that Tillikum's first victim had teeth marks on him.
But he also was said to have died of hypothermia.

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

That may be true dgrimm.

I think they are just chewing them and spitting them out.

I believe in Hematology.

<clearing throat> Because wild animals are not pets, and shouldn't be treated as such. Period.

I think if we named them loving whales they would nicer to their trainers.

Originally Posted By: Liz

I think if we named them loving whales they would nicer to their trainers.

Clearly another victim of global warming. The wise whale knew that global warming would cause a tornado on that very spot and killed the trainer to prevent him/her from experiencing the trauma.

[

Clearly another victim of global warming. The wise whale knew that global warming would cause a tornado on that very spot and killed the trainer to prevent him/her from experiencing the trauma.

A wise and compassionate whale. Originally trained by Mr. Rogers.

Isn't that rather inconsiderate to the family of the deceased?

Of course, it's better than the comments on news articles saying, "Serves her right for torturing whales."

• Moderators

Just tagging on.

If you, freedom-loving person is suddenly put in prison for no reason than to be put on display for people to gawk at, what would you do?

Isn't that rather inconsiderate to the family of the deceased?

Of course, it's better than the comments on news articles saying, "Serves her right for torturing whales."

Killjoy.

You probably represent a robotic parakeet Jesuit infiltration of the conservative liberal rotunda agenda.

The latest news report I read said the whale grabbed her ponytail as she was rubbing it down as a reward after the performance. That doesn't fit at all with the things the spectators have been reported as saying.

Catherine

The latest news report I read said the whale grabbed her ponytail as she was rubbing it down as a reward after the performance. That doesn't fit at all with the things the spectators have been reported as saying.

Dawn Brancheau, a 40-year-old trainer at SeaWorld in Orlando, was killed by a killer whale at the beginning of a performance. Eyewitness accounts differ, but she was reportedly dragged into the water, shaken violently and kept underwater until she drowned. The whale, Tilikum, is the largest in captivity and has been involved in two fatal incidents prior to this one. In 1999, a park visitor hid at SeaWorld until closing and jumped into the pool with the whale. The man was found dead in the pool the next morning and had suffered hypothermia and scrapes from being dragged along the pool's bottom. Eight years earlier, Tilikum was one of three whales who drowned Keltie Byrne, a 21-year-old trainer, at Sealand of the Pacific, after she slipped and fell into the pool.