ClubAdventist is back!

Principals and teachers to be fired

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

In the newspaper yesterday there was an article about schools with low achievement scores by the students in Oregon. Apparently Obama's education agenda includes firing the principals and all the teachers of those schools and replacing them in order for the schools to get government funding.

That makes me disgusted. Teachers and principals CANNOT make students study. Whatever happened to parents making sure that homework is done??? And you can't blame it on race or one parent homes either. The teachers can only do so much. Students need to stop being entertained and start being responsible for learning.

Sorry, I can't find the full story now.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

In the newspaper yesterday there was an article about schools with low achievement scores by the students in Oregon. Apparently Obama's education agenda includes firing the principals and all the teachers of those schools and replacing them in order for the schools to get government funding.

That makes me disgusted. Teachers and principals CANNOT make students study. Whatever happened to parents making sure that homework is done??? And you can't blame it on race or one parent homes either. The teachers can only do so much. Students need to stop being entertained and start being responsible for learning.

Sorry, I can't find the full story now.

I agree with you. When I went to school parents were usually behind/or supported the teachers. Now parents back there children and expect the teachers to still do there jobs without any backing from parents. But I also agree that there are many teachers and principals that don't even try.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

I've hear that the government also mandates a lot of non-academic stuff that the schools have to include, which takes a lot of time away from real education.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

• Members

Now I'm REALLY disgusted. On ABC News tonight it showed a principal and teachers of a school in Rhode Island getting fired by the school board because the students' performance wasn't up to par. And standing behind the school board was the President of the United States agreeing with the school board. WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING???? I'm embarrassed that was even shown on TV.

Teachers cannot discipline students anymore because it might hurt their little psyches. I don't mean to say that there are not some bad teachers out there, because there are. But I think to fire the principal and all the teachers with the blessing of the almighty Obama was a bit much to stomach for me.

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Are you speaking of President Obama?

Shameful. Just Shameful.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Are you speaking of President Obama?

Shameful. Just Shameful.

Yes. That's exactly what I thought, too.

• Members

ewaye, my little omelet... LOL

Here's a link to a story about the firings: http://www.projo.com/news/content/central_falls_labor_complaint_03-03-10_TEHKQU_v41.398650e.html

I heard about this a couple of weeks ago. Seems it only made national news when the unions got involved. Seems the administrators asked for a little more work from the teachers, and they, through their Union, refused.

What isn't mentioned, is the inequity between the teacher's pay, which averages about $75,000 per year, and the average income of the townspeople, which is about $25,000 per year, and the teachers weren't willing to give a little more to help their students, about which they always profess such concern.

I've also 'heard' from some prominent sources, forgot their names, that Obama is directly linked to the recent earthquakes! Why I have even 'read' that a person called Woody is a closet liberal and maybe even a democrat! Lost that article also....hmmmm...maybe I can find it...nope...well you never know, I'm just saying!

:smilewink: :smilewink: :smilewink:

Hey ... I've even been accused of being a Jesuit. And I heard that the earthquake was all about God's anger against them sinful people in South and Central America.

HA HA !! Very Funny CoA. You need to read and associate with more reliable people.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Here's another take on this issue from today's NYTimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/education/03ravitch.html?ref=todayspaper

As a former teacher I am very disheartened about the market-based focus education has taken with its concentration on test scores as verification of teaching effectiveness. "Test scores do not a good teacher make!"

Students are losing out on a lot of things that could enhance their lives.(except for the rich in elite prep schools who have neither the testing constraints nor the lack of parental involvement) Most are in public schools where the No Child Left Behind act dominates what is taught in the classroom. It's all about test preparation now.

As for firing all those teachers - do they really think they can easily find bright young minds who want to go into teaching for the mediocre salaries being offered? Even when I served as a mentor for the young bright prospects coming out of the Teach for America programs, they for the most part were interested in working their way into administration as quickly as possibl or simply doing their 3 - 5 year stints to pay off teaching grants they received in grad school. The concept of making teaching a lifelong career has vanished.

I've always said that poor teaching could be corrected with strong oversight and supervision. Ironically, most of the Assistant Principals were teachers who wanted to get out of the classroom and took the necessary coursed to get accreditation for academic supervision. So you ended up with lousy teachers telling other teachers how to teach.

Lastly, the discipline issues in urban public schools is reaching catastrophic proportions. When I served as a Dean for 10 years in addition to teaching A.P. (Advanced Placement) classes,I saw things you would normally expect to see on the street or in prison. I personally disarmed students who had guns, knives and other weapons. I broke up fights nearly on a daily basis, dealt with drugs, drinking, sexual harassment issues et al.

We have a long way to go in this country to improve our educational system. There are no easy fixes - surely firing the staff isn't going to do it. In some parts of this country, if the effort and dedication applied to sports were also applied to learning, we would see great leaps in learning.

I could go on . . .

Alex (happily retired)

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

• Administrators

Yes, Alex- I gotta hand it to teaching staff, especially those in high schools. God help them all!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

Some very good points Alex. But maybe if the teachers see that schools are getting serious about the teachers doing a better job than maybe they will start doing there jobs to the best of there abilities, like you did.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60