ClubAdventist is back!

Which direction is our educational system taking?

abelisle

Originally Posted By: rudywoofs

I could agree with that. Pay our own people before shelling out funds to other countries! Yep! I'd vote for that one!!!

Especially when it's borrowed money!!!!

I believe statistics show the United States uses 25% of the worlds accessible wealth while having only 5% (or there abouts)

of the worlds population. IMO we don't really need any further excuses with which to justify holding on to what we have.

Then he told them a story: “A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops. He said to himself, ‘What should I do? I don’t have room for all my crops.’ Then he said, ‘I know! I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods. And I’ll sit back and say to myself, “My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!”’

“But God said to him, ‘You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?’

Luke 12:16-20 NLT

Blessings! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

It's never right to borrow more money than you can ever hope to actually repay, not even for a benevolent purpose. And that is what our government has done, and continues to do. They need to get the national budget under control. But I'd say that pork barrel spending is probably more to blame than aid to other countries. Pork barrel should be called "bribery" because that is what it really is, an attempt to buy votes or campaign contributions, in order to further enrich those who already have more than enough.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

• Moderators

Plenty of good places to cut before foreign aid: military would be my vote but no doubt not others'. Let's not start with (further) cuts to public education, though...

Truth is important

I think a quick reference back to the Declaration of Independence should give us a clue as to the direction our educational system has been taking for the past few decades. The DoI states that God created man with certain unalienable rights. Today's government states that the existence of God cannot be acknowledged in public education. It further claims that public education is a right guaranteed by the government. The government then requires public education which mandates the teaching that God did NOT create man, effectively negating the foundation upon which the country's government was founded.And we wonder where our educational system is headed? "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."

• Members

It's never right to borrow more money than you can ever hope to actually repay, not even for a benevolent purpose. And that is what our government has done, and continues to do. They need to get the national budget under control. But I'd say that pork barrel spending is probably more to blame than aid to other countries. Pork barrel should be called "bribery" because that is what it really is, an attempt to buy votes or campaign contributions, in order to further enrich those who already have more than enough.

I agree with your thoughts GLG, that this pork garbage needs to be gotten rid of. When they vote on something, whatever it might be, they should have to vote on just that. I believe that Clinton signed a bill that got rid of that, but Bush got rid of it when he came into office?

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

I think a quick reference back to the Declaration of Independence should give us a clue as to the direction our educational system has been taking for the past few decades. The DoI states that God created man with certain unalienable rights. Today's government states that the existence of God cannot be acknowledged in public education. It further claims that public education is a right guaranteed by the government. The government then requires public education which mandates the teaching that God did NOT create man, effectively negating the foundation upon which the country's government was founded.And we wonder where our educational system is headed? "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."

In the succinct statement of somebody wiser than I, yes!!! OTOH since we are the government, what does that tell you? Could it be we resemble the proverbial dog chasing his own tail?

peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Members

Here's a must read article from the NYTimes Sunday magazine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/magazine/07Teachers-t.html

The focus of the article is something I've been saying for 35 years = without classroom management/discipline skills, one can't teach. BTW, I'm comment #534

Alex

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

Discipline starts in the home. If children do not learn their values in the home, there is little likelihood that a teacher can spend enough time teaching them in the school setting.

Interestingly enough, a dear friend of mine has been working as a substitue in one of our local school districts. Her observation is that there is a trend toward even less discipline in the early elementary years--a trend where even the words, "no" and "don't" are not allowed. Instead, the teachers are encouraged (by threat of losing their contracts) to only use positive reinforcements such as, "I like it when my friends stick together," or, "It makes me happy when friends keep each other safe," or even, "Friends like to share with their friends." It is not until the fourth grade when these students start to hear school discipline in the form of negativism.

• Members

Discipline starts in the home. If children do not learn their values in the home, there is little likelihood that a teacher can spend enough time teaching them in the school setting.

Interestingly enough, a dear friend of mine has been working as a substitue in one of our local school districts. Her observation is that there is a trend toward even less discipline in the early elementary years--a trend where even the words, "no" and "don't" are not allowed. Instead, the teachers are encouraged (by threat of losing their contracts) to only use positive reinforcements such as, "I like it when my friends stick together," or, "It makes me happy when friends keep each other safe," or even, "Friends like to share with their friends." It is not until the fourth grade when these students start to hear school discipline in the form of negativism.

I totally agree Aubrey. EGW says that the first few years are very important for your childs character.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

>>Answer to thread title<<

Never one to stand in the way of progress - I usually applaud the newfangled; however, wha's wid dis?—where’s the freakin’ handle? Or, is it one of those you’s gotta

stand there and wave your hands alla over tryin’ to find the optik thingee?

Sheesh!—progress...

• Members

Originally Posted By: Aubrey

I totally agree Aubrey. EGW says that the first few years are very important for your childs character.

pk

Children today have it totally over on teachers, and the children know it.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

>>Especially when it's borrowed money!!!!<<

Beaucoup buck$! ...without mentioning the intere$t tandem said monie$$$$$$

Yikes!—sounds unsustainable.