ClubAdventist is back!

Lost In the Fold

Nicodema

So for all you people who don't like us freaks, weirdoes, whatever sullying your pristine church with our "wilderness scent" ... this one is for you ... not all who wander are lost, but not all who stay home are found, either...

Lost In the Fold:

http://www.adventistreview.org/2005-1507/story2.html

These kinds of things are written for people like me so we don't feel so alone!

ENJOY IT. LEARN SOMETHING. And as the sun sets on your Friday, enter a joyous Sabbath rest with our King!

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot

Ah, the "Lost in your backyard" story....something well worth remembering....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

[]http://www.adventistreview.org/2005-1507/images/story2a.jpg[/]

I'm not sure what that blurb has to do with the story, but it caught my eye. The parallel in the story is sadly too often too true. It makes an important point. Assignment: Read it, everyone! And I love the way the story ends. How blessed is the fold when they have a shepherd like that!

LD

LD

• Moderators

The questions in the sidebar would be interesting for discussion:

Questions for Reflection

1. What were you like in your unregenerate days? What about your looks or your behavior would have offended others?

2. Do you know someone whose spirit was crushed by the apathy or critical nature of some of the other "sheep"?

3. How do you personally cultivate the spirit of concern and compassion demonstrated by the Shepherd?

4. What elements are essential for the care and feeding of the Shepherd's "lost sheep"? With what are you especially gifted?

LD

• Moderators

As for the questions I can answer:

2. Yes, so many, so many. I am always puzzled by the strength of those who can rise above it, as did the lost sheep in the story, seeking solace in the shepherd's lap. What makes some turn in one direction and others in another? Can things ever be changed so that "rising above it" isn't necessary - because we have become so loving and accepting of people in their various stages of growth?

3. I imagine myself in their place, or try to at least on a need level, but find myself lost in unfamiliarity. I can never fully understand the amazing and terrible experiences many people have gone through. I try to reach out but feel I am on a different planet. I need to do more than speak at church and invite for Sabbath dinner. There is more I could do. What is it?

4. This should be divided into two questions. What can I do to care and feed the wild ones smelling of dust and heather? I don't know. What is needed? I don't know. Lord, show me.

LD

LD

Quote:

not all who wander are lost, but not all who stay home are found, either...

Lost In the Fold:

These kinds of things are written for people like me so we don't feel so alone!

Having come from the land where people wished to be upwind when rubbing shoulders with myself, I've been blessed with long enough tenure in the family of God on this earth to know that when you rub shoulders with Jesus for but a short time, you begin exuding the sweet scent of the Balm of Gilead.

[:"red"] "Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why then is not the health of the daughter of my people restored? [because Zion no longer enjoyed the presence of the Great Physician!] [/] Jer 8:22 AMP

their brackets LHC

And as the sun sets on your Friday, enter a joyous Sabbath rest with our King!

And thank you for that prayer, Nico. It is one our Father delights to answer, as I'm sure you well know.

Lift Jesus up!! DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

Am glad this is generating useful discussion. I'll be back to comment on the questions; right now I have to get ready for church.

Shabbat Shalom

Nico

Quote:

Questions for Reflection

1. What were you like in your unregenerate days? What about your looks or your behavior would have offended others?

Frankly it didn't offend those within my own kind, to whom I kept, but I don't think I should fully detail those things here. First, the Bible states it is shameful to even speak of those things that are done in secret by the unregenerate; second, it is impossible to state them baldly without it sounding like some sort of boast, which it isn't, but I would not want to create that impression. On the other hand to skimp the account would create an impression in another direction that would be equally false. If you all really want to know, I'll tell you. For now, I'll skip this except to say I behaved pretty much as you would expect a demon-possessed sorceress/priestess practicing what was essentially a solar-phallic tantric-gnostic tradition, with a severe case of spiritual Stockholm Syndrome where Lucifer/Satan is concerned, would behave.

Quote:

2. Do you know someone whose spirit was crushed by the apathy or critical nature of some of the other "sheep"?

You're looking at -- err, umm, talking to -- I mean reading from -- her now. Been there, done that, on a few occasions. The first round was shortly after I became a Christian and joined the SDA church, at the age of 16, then went off to college at CUC. My experience there was a traumatic impact of cognitive dissonance that destroyed me emotionally and, after about 18 months, precipitated what I now think might have been a full psychotic break with reality. I experienced what I believed was Satan was taking me over and ended up leaving the school and the church at the age of 19 and the beginnings of the life I mentioned above. (Prior to that time I'd simply been a chronologically displaced acid-head [LSD user] with a typical acid-head's conversion story!)

Quote:

3. How do you personally cultivate the spirit of concern and compassion demonstrated by the Shepherd?

With others: By God's grace, I try to listen to what hurts, what feels, what throbs in others, behind the surface. I try to be cognizant and considerate of others' feelings, even to grasp the reality that such a thing exists. (Yes, sometimes I forget or fail, probably more than most do, but that doesn't mean I don't try). I try to understand their feelings, to get clear on their communications, to connect with them in the heart where it counts. I also try to make myself available when I can be and (very important) remove myself when I cannot be, so that the chance of any worse harm is lessened. I want my interactions that minister to them to be perceived as encouraging and supportive. At the same time I don't want to foster unrealistic expectations or a dependency I cannot meet for them.

In myself: By God's grace, when I catch any insidious suggestion inside my head that I am in any way superior to my fellow man (or woman) because "at least" my sins are not theirs, I try to reject that. I remind myself there is no depth of sin I am incapable of descending to but for the grace of God, not even the things most abhorrent to me, for I have lived long enough and looked at myself honestly enough to know how easy it is, in a moment of anger, grief, injustice or pain to become the thing you hate most.

I find praying for those whom I am tempted to push aside helps, or praying for those with whom I have differences. I find it helps to correct myself as I catch myself -- if I have a denigrating thought toward someone, and I catch myself in it, I pray, "I'm sorry Lord. I know You love this person. Give me Your love for them. Make me see their value in Your sight. Forgive me for these ungracious thoughts" -- or something like that.

Quote:

4. (a) What elements are essential for the care and feeding of the Shepherd's "lost sheep"? (
B)
With what are you especially gifted?

(a) People need to feel valued, validated, and affirmed. Sorry about the psychobabble "buzz" words but the realities they express are very true. People need to feel they have a place among others and their place is just as good and desirable as that of the peers in whose midst they find themselves. In other words, no one wants the "[censored] corner" so don't shove your "undesirables" there. Give them somewhere they can shine for Jesus. Make them a part of things. Don't treat them as any different; treat them like they are "one of you" and one of two things will happen: either they'll ACT like they are one of you, or you will get to know a unique treasure that you will cherish so much it will BECOME "one of you" anyway. In either case the awkwardness of differentness will dissipate with the balm of inclusion. But give it time. Don't rush things. Everyone is different, and some have been scarred or traumatized. Handle them with a little extra care if that's the case. They are somebody's sons and daughters; how would you want your own treated?

(B) I am frankly just NOT a "people person" in the traditional sense of the world. My gift is that I AM an "outsider" from something of an "outsider culture". I can reach out to other "outsider" sheep around me and connect on that basis. But when all is said and done, if I cannot have the openness and cooperation of the larger flock into which to encourage their integration, it is for naught. I don't want my spiritual work to have to rely upon undermining others or encouraging separatism. I'm a unifier and I believe strongly in the principle of inclusion. Mine is the "Sesame Street Model" -- where even Oscar the Grouch is considered part of the "family" and treated like he counts and is one of the group, while still being exactly who he is and not having to fake otherwise. That is the perfect image of unity in diversity, of e pluribus unum, of ONE body of Christ made of MANY believers.

The practical model is all throughout the NT how we are to love and treat one another with equity and fairness. We must bring this into our personal social lives as well; they don't get to be our private little kingdom of exception from His Kingdom. That means I have to make an effort too, to reach out and form friendships with people very different from me even as I expect that of them toward me.

Overall I would say literally my gift is how far I have fallen. It is simply not a problem for me to accept people from all walks of life and all depths of experience high and low, because I have no reason whatsoever to think myself better or above them. That is my gift. I have a Master now who bids me to Love them for Him. That also is my gift, because all His biddings are enablings.

Quote:

The reason they got lost in the first place is due to the NFDMTTS of the clergy

Wasn't what sent me wandering originally ... but obviously there are two ways to approach the question itself: not care why people actually stray, or learn why they do from those who have done so.

And obviously mine is only one experience so it cannot answer for the whole. However, studies that have been done have shown a significant favoring of the lack of social investment (close ties in the new community of faith) to be a top factor, if not THE top factor.