ClubAdventist is back!

Fish Eating Moderates

As a moderate I am not 100% vegetarian. Nor am I a real meat eater. I am a pescatarian. Fish is the only kind of meat I eat. That means I offend many vegetarians... especially the vegans. It means I also offend the meat eaters. I stand on the lonely middle ground.

Politically I am about the same. I am not a Republican. Nor am I a Democrat. I am a moderate. I am the kind of guy that decides elections. Politicians compete for my vote. But I have a lot of people that don't like me on both sides of the political spectrum.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I don't think either political party is going to take me to heaven.

I was referring to the fact that if you can't decide whether to eat meat or not, there's a good chance that you are also on a religous fence of some sort. I don't know. But God want's people who are 100% His. He's not looking for fence riders.

(not saying that this neccessarily applies to you)

Well I have been on both sides. I was raised a meat eater. Left home and ate pork, rabbit, squirrel, shrimp and whatever. Became a Christian and went vegan. Got married and fat on milk and cheese. Then learned a little more about health. Increased my fiber, decreased my fat and added fish to my diet.

The data so far from the Adventist Health Study shows that those who eat fish, milk and eggs have the greatest longevity - more than vegans.

The data so far from the Adventist Health Study shows that those who eat fish, milk and eggs have the greatest longevity - more than vegans.
That sounds kinda fishey to me.

Originally Posted By: karl
That sounds kinda fishey to me.

Yeah, it did to me, too. As a vegan, it was a challenge to my personal convictions. But the data is pretty solid. Fortunately, I live in Arkansas now and the fishing is good.

I think it has to do with the society we live in and the availability of the food we eat. A vegan lifestyle should produce a longer life but in practice the healthy food one would need to eat is not found in many places in society. Many of the refined meat substitutes are high in fat and sodium. Many vegans end up eating too much fat, too much sugar and too much sodium.

I'm planning on becoming vegan when I go to college... more for ethical reasons than just health reasons...

No offense to pescatarians... but fishing is destroying the oceans. :\

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

I'm planning on becoming vegan when I go to college... more for ethical reasons than just health reasons...

I think your vegan idea is a good one, SivartM. Go for it. I think your ethical reasons aren't. From a biblical worldview anyway. God allowed humans to eat some fish after the flood. Jesus even forced a whole bunch of fish into his disciples net once.I don't think He was ethically challenged. I think if the fish community is in trouble God will step in and help. Besides, eating a little fish might make you as healthy as Karl.

Originally Posted By: SivartM

I think your vegan idea is a good one, SivartM. Go for it. I think your ethical reasons aren't. From a biblical worldview anyway. God allowed humans to eat some fish after the flood. Jesus even forced a whole bunch of fish into his disciples net once.I don't think He was ethically challenged. I think if the fish community is in trouble God will step in and help. Besides, eating a little fish might make you as healthy as Karl.

What he meant was: As fishy as Karl.

It's Jesuit code.

quote] More fish=more Jesuits! Great recruiting tool, Karl. I think SivartM would make a wonderful Jesuit,um I mean, Adventist.

Dumping trash into the oceans is destroying them. Fishing is not destroying the oceans. Some areas are overfished but a lot of fish comes from fish farms.

What they do to the fish in the farms is even worse dumping trash in and overfishing the oceans... but if you eat them I won't stop you. I read that at the current rate of consumption, all the common wild fish that we eat will be extinct by 2050. Shrimp is one of the worst sea creatures as far as ocean impact, but fortunately for us that's unclean so I doubt you eat it. :)

The ethical reason I want to be vegan is the fact that almost all food animals in the country live in total misery for their short lives...

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

Fish from fish farms vary a lot. One has to be very careful about listening to other Adventists on the subject because some Adventists tend to be alarmists with an agenda.

As a rule, it is good to avoid fish from fish farms in China. Fish from fish farms in Central America tend to be very good. I do believe that restrictions need to be placed on fishing in some areas of the world. Fish farming and regulations on it should increase. Fish can be a very healthy part of a nutritious diet.