ClubAdventist is back!

Stupak Won't Run for Re-election

Stupak won't run for re-election - Politico

Rick Moran

Perhaps sensing the great big bullseye on his back - put there by tea partiers - Rep. Bart Stupak has decided not to run for re-election.

Mike Allen and Josh Kraushaar of Politico have the details:

President Barack Obama called Stupak on Wednesday and asked him not to retire. Stupak, 58, also resisted entreaties from Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.), the dean of the Wolverine State delegation.

Republicans immediately attributed Stupak's decision to step down as a direct consequence of his health care vote.

"After selling his soul to Nancy Pelosi, it appears that Bart Stupak finally found the courage to tell her no," said National Republican Congressional Committee communications director Ken Spain. "The political fallout over the Democrats' government takeover of healthcare has put the political careers of many Democrats in jeopardy thanks in-part to Stupak's decision to abandon his alleged pro-life principles."

Republicans believe that other pro-life Democrats, like freshman Reps. Steve Driehaus (D-Ohio) and Kathy Dahlkemper (D-Pa.), will also face serious trouble because of their support for the health care legislation without strict anti-abortion provisions.

Stupak plans to continue to live in the district, the Democratic official said. He plans to say that as he opens a new chapter, he will continue to serve the people of the First District, just not as their congressman.

Friends said Stupak was not leaving because of the health fight but because of the exertion that would be required to hold his sprawling Upper Peninsula District. He made the final decision during a conversation with his family while in Indianapolis to root for Michigan State in the Final Four basketball game.

Ed Lasky adds:

Gee..how much do you wager he will land in some plumb job-courtesy of wealthy Democrats? Think tank, Center for American Progress (or would that be too obvious)?

The "exertion" has nothing to do with the size of his district. It has to do with the effort Stupak would have been forced to make in fundraising and barnstorming to counter the rage of the pro-life movement and the enthusiasm of the tea partiers who were licking their chops in anticipation of knocking him off.

It appears that the GOP will rally around surgeon Dan Benishek, a Tea Party favorite, who was showing surprising strength even prior to Stupak's decision.

President Obama won the district by a few thousand votes in 2008 and it was carried by Bush with 53% of the vote in 2004. It is certainly one of the most conservative areas of Michigan and the GOP appears to have a decent shot at a pick-up.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

I would really like to see the end of one-party rule in Washington. Republicans have to pick up a lot of seats to make that happen but it is a possibility.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Members

I hear what you are saying Shane, but even with the democrats having a majority they still don't all agree with everything all the time. They actually have thinkers that are not afraid of going against there own party. Where as the other side seems to be stuck with, whatever the other side wants I don't! In that respect I disagree with your statement. Because it definitely looks like a 2 party system in my opinion.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60