ClubAdventist is back!

Women Get Blamed for Earthquakes

Suzanne Sutton

Women Get Blamed for Earthquakes

A senior Iranian cleric says women who wear revealing, immodest clothing and behave promiscuously are to blame for earthquakes.

The cleric's statement follows a prediction by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that a quake is certain to hit Tehran.

"Many women who do not dress modestly...lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which [consequently] increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media. --Los Angeles Times, April 20, 2010.

Suzanne

That's... dumb.

Almost funny except that he's trying to put blame on a group that has nothing to do with earthquakes.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Administrators

No less dumb than some views of women (or other special target groups) expressed in Christian circles these days.

Some quake in fear at the potential seismic power of women to change the world, and the Church, for the ultimate good...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Suzanne, you beat Amelia to the punch with posting this before she saw it!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

If this were true, there would be some places that would be getting far more earthquakes than they are now!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Silly boys. It takes two to make the earth quake.

But don't you know one of the most ancient rules of morality, common to all religions...when two people commit adultery or fornication, only one has sinned, and that is the woman.

This is an ancient principle that goes back to the Biblical story of the woman caught in adultery, and beyond.

On another online Adventist forum, which I visit occasionally and which shall remain nameless, there was a discussion thread on what to do with a female church member who became pregnant out of wedlock. Pages and pages on what to do, whether to disfellowship, etc., with not a word to even suggest that the baby had a father. You would think that the pregnancy is just something that fell out of the sky and hit the woman who was misbehaving in some way on her own.

I'm sure the baby's father continues to teach Sabbath school (or whatever else he does at church) to this day. After all, nobody is going to whisper and point at him, because he does not get to carry a big round belly everywhere he goes for 9 months.

There is nothing new under the sun. It is such a predictable course of events, it almost deserves its own commandment.

"If a man and a woman commit a sexual sin, only the woman gets reprimanded and/or punished."

AJ

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

No less dumb than some views of women (or other special target groups) expressed in Christian circles these days.

Some quake in fear at the potential seismic power of women to change the world, and the Church, for the ultimate good...

Amen

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.