ClubAdventist is back!

It's all The Government's fault

aldona

I saw this on an Aussie website, originally quoted from a US website, so I suspect it has been passed along quite a few times and I have no idea where it came from originally.

I am not going to comment one way or the other because I'm just a foreigner and it's none of my business how US citizens run their country, but I thought it was an interesting read.

Quote:
“This morning I awoke to the sound of my alarm clock powered by electricity generated by the Public Power Monopoly regulated by the US department of energy. I then took a shower in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility. After that, I turned on the TV to one of the FCC regulated channels to see what the Weather Service of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration determined the weather would be like today using satellites designed, built and launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. I did this while eating my breakfast of US Department of Agriculture inspected food and taking drugs determined safe by the Federal Drug Administration.

At a time that has been kept accurate by the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the US Naval Observatory, I got into my National Highway Traffic Safety Administration approved automobile and set out to work on roads built and maintained by local, state and federal departments of transportation. I checked my mail delivered by the US Postal Service and dropped the kids of at public school, then stopped for fuel of a quality regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency.

After work I drove my NHTSA car on DOT roads back home, which has not burned down because of state and local building codes and a fire marshal’s inspection. My house has not been plundered in my absence because of the local police department.

I then log onto the internet which was developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration and post here on AWE, in freerepublic.com and of course the Fox News forums about how socialized health care is bad because the government can’t do anything right.”

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

And just WHERE does the Constitution give the government the right to deliver our mail???

That's awesome, aldona. Very funny. :D

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Members

Very interesting article.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Members

ALDONA

but then there are things that government should

not have their hands in

dgrimm60

I agree dgrimm, but the problem we have in this country, at least all the years I've been aware of things, is if we have a problem where do we go for help? If we want something done and no one will help, where do we go for help? Everyone says they don't want Government to get involved in our lives, but turn around and want government to settle this or that dispute! So now I believe we've come to the point were government is saying, well we will take care of this or that before people come to us to solve this problem. Not saying that I want that, but look back through all these years to all the groups in this country, like take the gay & lesbian movement, they want the same equal rights as the rest of the country! No one was going to do anything for them, so they went to the government to take care of the problem. How about those for and against abortion, etc., etc., etc. So yes I agree with you, but I think slowly but surely everything we do, say etc. will be controlled by government.

pk

phkrause

Some truths we seem to have forgotten - from the pen of Thomas Jefferson.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.

I am for a government rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread.

Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.

A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement.

We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude.

--Thomas Jefferson

• Members

Some truths we seem to have forgotten - from the pen of Thomas Jefferson.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.

I am for a government rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread.

Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.

A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement.

We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude.

--Thomas Jefferson

I really like that quote from TJ, thanks Karl.

pk

phkrause