ClubAdventist is back!

Oil Well Could Be Stopped But BP Refuses

Oil Well Could Be Stopped But BP Refuses

While there are many disturbing facets to the BP oil disaster in the gulf, perhaps none are as shocking as the fact that BP knows exactly how to stop the more than 200,000 gallons of oil dumping into the ocean every day – but they refuse to do it. The big question of course is WHY? The answer is simple. Experts believe that the only sure fire way to stop the leak is by using explosives to collapse the well, shutting it down permanently. This would work, but there’s only one problem – BP would lose hundreds of millions of dollars they’ve invested in drilling this high producing well and they’re not about to do that. CLICK HERE to watch a short clip from FOX news on this story. Clearly, the impact of this disaster will be enormous, not only environmentally, but economically. While Seventh-day Adventists can bring a spiritual perspective

to all of this, do we have any practical advice for people struggling in a bad economy that worsens by the minute as oil gushes into the gulf of Mexico? Could it be that the country living message – learning to live more simply off the land - has practical implications as the cost of goods and services will inevitably rise as a result of this event.

On another note, the Bible has some sobering words to say regarding those who would let greed get the better of them as they proceed to wreak havoc on the planet. According to the book of Revelation, the time is coming when God will “destroy them which destroy the earth.” (Revelation 11:18)

Source:

http://backtoenoch.org/Back-to-Enoch-News/oil-well-could-be-stopped-but-bp-refuses.html

• Members

I understand that Kevin Costner has a solution for this problem, but I missed it! Have you heard this?

But yes a very interesting article Richard.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I understand that Kevin Costner has a solution for this problem, but I missed it! Have you heard this?

But yes a very interesting article Richard.

pk

Yes. I saw it on the news. Kevin Costner DOES have a solution. I hope that BP is willing to use it.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

It's a machine that separates the oil from the sea water. Keeps the oil and returns the water to the sea. The water returned is 99% pure.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

It's a machine that separates the oil from the sea water. Keeps the oil and returns the water to the sea. The water returned is 99% pure.

That's pretty interesting! We'll see if they go for it.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Ok, let me get this right....

They are losing several Exxon Valdes oil tankers every 3 days, and clean up is over a billion $$$$$$ and you are saying that BP DELIBERATELY desires this to continue to spill and does not want to spend the million or so $$$$ to redrill????

Something smells fishy, and it ain't the water from the Gulf....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Hmmmmm let's see....Billions in clean up or millions in drilling costs....What am I missing here????

Ooh, I know...it's FAUXNEWS!!!!!!

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

A friend who is in the oil industry and knows his stuff says Kevin Costner's 'solution' is no such thing, and although it might work on a very small scale is a drop in the ocean, literally, in this situation. He also says Costner is essentially trying to sell his technology - which has already been evaluated and rejected - to governments and companies, using the media attention from this catastrophe. Even if you ignore my friend on the second part, it'd be worth taking a closer look at how effective Costner's approach really is before accepting his claims that it's a magic bullet solution.

Same with the explosion 'solution', as a matter of fact: Yes, it might collapse the well and stop the oil flow. Or it might just blow clear the remaining pipes that are controlling the spill and make it much worse.

Something I haven't heard a lot of commentary on around here, somewhat surprisingly... how good is 'drill, baby, drill!' sounding about now?

Truth is important

Something I haven't heard a lot of commentary on around here, somewhat surprisingly... how good is 'drill, baby, drill!' sounding about now?

It sounds great if we could drill where we actually need to be drilling, which is on land!!

Safer, easier and cheaper to get to, no oil spills, more oil.

But the environmentalist wackos (and democrats) will never hear of that.

• Moderators

Pity that when she said it it was *specifically* in reference off-shore drilling...

Truth is important

From what I understand this spill is due to a lack of regulation which allowed them to drill without some safety devices that are used by all other nations drilling off-shore. Even Mexico and China require the safety devices that the US bureaucracy didn't force BP to use on this rig.

Off-shore drilling is a reality and isn't going to stop. Most off-shore drilling isn't done by the US either. So even if the US were to stop drilling off-shore it would have little impact environmentally on the world's oceans since most off-shore drilling is being done by other nations.

Does off-shore drilling makes sense for the US? Absolutely. If all of our off-shore areas were opened up tomorrow and environmental challenges were required to be resolved within 6 months, it would be the greatest stimulus this country has seen since WW2.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Originally Posted By: Bravus

From what I understand this spill is due to a lack of regulation which allowed them to drill without some safety devices that are used by all other nations drilling off-shore.

The device is an explosive device installed in the upper portion of the well which allows it to be plugged in situations such as this. In the past it has been required in all underwater wells, but somehow BP got a "bye" on this one.

The explosives can be placed and ignited after the fact, but BP steadfastly refuses to do this. They are still looking to salvage the well. So far BP's PR efforts have been a catastrophe.

I am personally boycotting BP. And Exxon. Also Valero and Citgo due to their connection with Venezuela. I buy Shell, Conoco, and Phillips pretty much exclusively.

I'm sure it has negligible effect, but all I can do is all I can do.

Pity that when she said it it was *specifically* in reference off-shore drilling...

And this was the exact same reference Obama used when he stated we should have more drilling.

Why did Obama go long with the drill Baby drill for off shore instead of ANWAR which is much safer?

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
Ooh, I know...it's FAUXNEWS!!!!!!

Source:

http://backtoenoch.org/Back-to-Enoch-News/oil-well-could-be-stopped-but-bp-refuses.html

Wrong again. Still not paying attention.

Um,, excuse me...but it's carried by fauxnews, and the source is an unltra conservative SDA websight....Just because some of us chose not to be lead by those whose religious furver is not evidence based doesn't mean that -

1] we are not adventist

2] choose to be smarter than the fanatical [and yes, we ARE paying attention]

3] want to be smarter than a religious terrorist.

And yes, it is hard to soar among the eagles when you are accompanied by a bunch of turkeys....

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

Quote:
Neil D:

Source:

Um,, excuse me...but it's carried by fauxnews, and the source is an unltra conservative SDA websight....Just because some of us chose not to be lead by those whose religious furver is not evidence based doesn't mean that -

What exactly do you find wrong or false about what Christopher Brownfield says in that interview on Foxnews?

What's wrong with Foxnews? We watch many different news programs, including CNN and the Spanish-language news. But I find that Foxnews is probably the best of all of them. At least when they have discussions of issues, they almost always get representatives of opposing viewpoints,and that is more than you can say for many news programs.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4200011/nuclear-option-for-oil-spill/?playlist_id=87485

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

I think FOXNews is the best but that really isn't saying much because I think the media news is quite deplorable. FOXNews just isn't quite as bad as the others,,, but it is pretty bad too.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

What's wrong with Foxnews? We watch many different news programs, including CNN and the Spanish-language news. But I find that Foxnews is probably the best of all of them. At least when they have discussions of issues, they almost always get representatives of opposing viewpoints,and that is more than you can say for many news programs.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4200011/nuclear-option-for-oil-spill/?playlist_id=87485

Agreed. No good way to blame fox news for the blow out or to claim that they are covering up something. The main goal of a news agency is to come up with the news "first". Pretty hard to ignore that.

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

Agreed. No good way to blame fox news for the blow out or to claim that they are covering up something. The main goal of a news agency is to come up with the news "first". Pretty hard to ignore that.

This is true, sensational news is pretty hard to ignore....And when they get it wrong first, and 'clarify' it, it only adds to the sensationalism. And if they can slant it against the current administration, and build up the republicans, so much the better...and if the "balanced" portion of the news can be slanted with a poor representative who is looking for 15 seconds of fame, or something that plays on your fears, well, shoot, it's good too...but who cares? It may not be accurate, but it IS fair and balanced....right?

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

Quote:
Shane: I think the media news is quite deplorable. FOXNews just isn't quite as bad as the others...

I do agree with you there. I'm not perfectly happy with any news channel, and like you say, the news media in general leaves much to be desired. Even many of the news people themselves, and especially some of those on FoxNews, talk about that deplorable condition.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.