ClubAdventist is back!

George Washington places 7th

I really wish American's would get over their hero-worship of their presidents.

As far as I can tell, not one of them has been really good.

They should adopt the attitude of most other countries - these guys are just career politians, not heros, and certainly not worthy of the levels of adoration they get.

It seems to me that the British have done a much better job of dumping having a king/queen with any political clout than the Americans have. The American's just vote every few years on who the king is to be.

Given the way the Republicans are now using lying and propaganda and other shannigans to hold onto the position, it is beginning to look a lot like ancient Rome's transition to having a Caesar.

And Bush is trying to spread 'democracy' - what a laugh.

/Bevin

Quote:

"All seems infected that the infected spy,

as all looks yellow to the jaundiced eye."

— Alexander Pope

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Don't get me wrong - none of the English PM's or the NZ ones or the Aussie ones look all that worthy of emulation either.

They had good an bad points. Some more than others.

• Moderators

Quote:

Given the way the Republicans are now using lying and propaganda and other shannigans to hold onto the position, it is beginning to look a lot like ancient Rome's transition to having a Caesar.

It seems to me that both parties have some problems. What struck me about this last election was that the Democratic Party didn't really seem to have any good ideas - they just were against Bush. I listened hard for any good ideas, but they didn't have any that I could find.

One other little item: if you replace "Republicans" with "Democrats", you probably would have a good preview of what some people felt about FDR when he was President. I have heard that view - and heard it - and heard it.

James Brenneman

Quote:

What struck me about this last election was that the Democratic Party didn't really seem to have any good ideas

I agree whole-heartedly.

Bush's Republicans had stupid solid ideas and cute propaganda and lies, and the Democrats had nothing at all worth having.

/Bevin

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

This says more about you than it does about America's Presidents.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:

Quote:

This says more about you than it does about America's Presidents.

possibly, but it might say something about the educational system..

Quote:

What struck me about this last election was that the Democratic Party didn't really seem to have any good ideas -

When the bullies are ruling the roost it's kind of hard to convince people that not being a bully is a good idea. Especially when you have a bunch of liars going around telling you that now that bullies have won over the majority, to win the majority back you have to become more like them instead of developing your own identity.

It's just plain crazymaking.

Allow me to point out that what's right (as in vs. wrong, not as in vs. left) has never been what's popular or in the majority.

Now is no exception.

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot

Teddy Roosevelt is one of my favorite Presidents although he had some strange things about him. Eisienhower is also another favorite and the model of a modern-day gentleman. And of course George W. I am most grateful that I have been blessed to live during his presidency and not just be able to study about it.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Just a quick thought--not directed at anyone in particular. If these Presidents are men that we are not to admire, men whom we should not revere as heroes, then, where are the men whom we should?

Save alone Jesus, is there any other man or woman we should regard as heroic?

I believe there are. I believe none other than Jesus is without fault, but there are some heroic men and women indeed. There are men and women who do good; who strive for bettering themselves and others; who live to be better servants for God; whose lives are worthy of study and emulation.

"To have no heroes is to have no aspiration, to live on the momentum of the past, to be thrown back upon routine, sensuality, and the narrow self."

-- Charles Horton Cooley

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

• Moderators

I've been wondering after reading this discussion - where did the list of those seven Presidents come from? The most recognized? If so, the latest Presidents usually have it hands down.

I don't point any person out to my history students as someone they should worship as a god, but I think Martin Luther, William Booth, Abraham Lincoln, John Hus, and others like them are worthy of our study (I didn't mention any ladies - sorry).

Yes, they are just people. Martin Luther had his dark side, for example - hating the Jews (pigs on the weathervanes of churches to make Jews uncomfortable) and mistreating his wife Kate if he didn't like something (behavior common to his time and perhaps ours, too). But his actions directed by God were (and are) a shining courageous light to those of us living in the end times.

James Brenneman

Quote:

"To have no heroes is to have no aspiration, to live on the momentum of the past, to be thrown back upon routine, sensuality, and the narrow self."

-- Charles Horton Cooley

Utter nonsense.

If you actually have a reasonably informed mind and a reasonably developed cognative capability, it is possible to see people as having plusses and minuses.

It is also possible to form goals that are larger than oneselve and pursue them.

/Bevin

Quote:

Utter nonsense.

If you actually have a reasonably informed mind and a reasonably developed cognative capability, it is possible to see people as having plusses and minuses.

It is also possible to form goals that are larger than oneselve and pursue them.

/Bevin

Good quote thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Okay. So, it's utter nonsense to not be able to do those things without a hero. I will argue however, that there are, indeed, heroes in this world. There are people worth our admiration. But then, I'd be repeating myself.

Quote:

There are people worth our admiration.

Yes, indeed - and some really flawed ones at that.

Usually such people provoke me to think - to look for the ideas I can incorporate into my life - and the things to avoid.

/Bevin

Quote:

Remember that no talent, no self-denial, no brains, no character, are required to set up in the fault-finding business...Your time is too precious to be sacrificed in wasted days combating the menial forces of hate, jealously, and envy. Guard your fragile life carefully. Only God can shape a flower, but any foolish child can pull it to pieces.

-Og Mandino

Quote:

"O, brave new world, that has such people in it."

--Aldous Huxley

As far as the subject of heroes goes, an important reality is being overlooked here: that of the efficacy of modeling. More is accomplished to pass on values and behaviors through direct modeling (such as a hero provides or, for that matter, a good parent or teacher) than all the theorizing or book-learning one can receive. There is no substitute for a direct example of principles, attitudes, and approaches in action, and these are things a hero supplies. This is why "ordinary heroes" are so vital and important to our lives -- the everyday, common man or woman who models courage, respect, courtesy, compassion, etc. -- and why young people without consistently positive, strong role models are so vulnerable to the shallow substitutes offered up by Hollywood and the entertainment industry.

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot