ClubAdventist is back!

What Makes Pets do This?

Gail

• Administrators

Quote:
ST-BARNABE-SUD, Que. — In a horrific tragedy, a three-week-old newborn died Monday afternoon in a small Quebec community after being attacked by at least one large dog.

Provincial police confirmed that the infant girl was pronounced dead inside a home in St.-Barnabe-Sud, located about 70 kilometres northeast of Montreal, late in the afternoon.

According to Sgt. Claude Denis, police received the initial call at 3:30 p.m., reporting that an assault had occurred and that the victim was a child only 21 days old. When officers arrived on the scene, they encountered what Denis described as “an obvious death.”

He offered few other details, saying only that the wounds had been inflicted by at least one dog that they also found inside the home.

“At this point, our officers are just beginning their investigation,” Denis said.

On Monday evening, several police vehicles were parked along the highway near the house, which was completely obscured from view by several large trees. The entire property had been surrounded by long, fluttering strands of bright orange police tape.

Across the street, neighbour Guy Vaillamcourt was still clearly shaken by the tragedy that had unfolded only a few hundred metres away.

“I saw so many police cars, and I didn’t know what was happening,” he said, glancing at two officers stationed at the end of his driveway. “But when they started talking about dogs, I knew right away which dogs they were talking about. My wife came outside one night not long ago after she heard them, thinking they were wild animals. They were two huskies, a male and a female.”

Vaillamcourt said the dogs had escaped twice recently, but were not noticeably aggressive.

He said that a man he knows only as "Roger" lives in the home across the road with his girlfriend and three young boys between the ages of 10 and 14.

“The dogs don’t belong to Roger,” Vaillamcourt said, shaking his head. “I asked one of his boys about it, and he said that the dogs belonged to his father’s girlfriend.”

Vaillamcourt went so far as to speak to Roger about the animals after their second foray onto his property a few weeks back.

“I thought, they could cause an accident on the highway, running across that way. But not something like this.”

Two dogs, which did appear to be huskies, were reportedly removed from the home in large crates. According to witnesses, the animals appeared extremely agitated.

Denis could not confirm if any animals were going to be put down.

Neighbours said they were not aware of any newborn currently living in the home, and speculated that the child may have been visiting the residence.

Montreal Gazette

© Copyright © Canwest News Service

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

The update on this is that the 17-year-old mother has now been charged with manslaughter.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

What makes a pet attack?

One explanation I heard was that dogs lash out not necessarily because they are aggressive but are scared. But what kind of a threat would a 3-week-old baby be to any dog?

• Members

crying and other loud sharp noises frighten some dogs...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

"Roger" had a 17 year old girlfriend, that he just had a baby with, AND a 14 year old son???? And nothing is being done to "Roger"?

I agree with Pam, the crying and the unfamiliar smells that surround a baby could be enough to make a nervous dog attack. How very sad.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

"Roger" had a 17 year old girlfriend, that he just had a baby with, AND a 14 year old son???? And nothing is being done to "Roger"?

In the US, Roger would be arrested for criminal sexual conduct with a minor. The laws must be different in Canada.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Every state is different, but 18 is the age of consent here, and one can legally have sex at 14. I really don't know what that means.

In South Dakota, the minimum age to have sex is 10! ! ! ! !

4parents.gov

From About.com: Beginning May 1, 2008, the age of sexual consent in Canada is 16 years old.

The age of consent in Canada is the age at which the criminal law recognizes the legal capacity of a young person to consent to sexual activity. Under the Criminal Code of Canada anyone under the age of 16 cannot legally consent to any form of sexual activity, from kissing to intercourse.

• Members

The update on this is that the 17-year-old mother has now been charged with manslaughter.

Gail what does that mean? It wasn't the dog or she had the dog attack the baby?

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

It probably means that she is being held responsible for the baby's death, because she kept dangerous dogs in the house with it. But the neighbors said they would never have expected those dogs to do something like that. Or maybe it means that they are blaming her for not being more careful to watch the dogs when they had access to the baby. Or maybe it has to do with whatever actually happened leading up to the baby's death, according to what those who were there told the police.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

• Members

It probably means that she is being held responsible for the baby's death, because she kept dangerous dogs in the house with it. But the neighbors said they would never have expected those dogs to do something like that. Or maybe it means that they are blaming her for not being more careful to watch the dogs when they had access to the baby. Or maybe it has to do with whatever actually happened leading up to the baby's death, according to what those who were there told the police.

thanks but it doesn't sound right.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60