ClubAdventist is back!

The Release of "Breaking News"

Stan

One of the fundamental principals of journalism, is that families must be notified of a death before the story 'goes to press'.

That can cause a problem here, as stories are sometimes put on with in minutes of an incident.

Since the Internet, and more specifically forums such as this, news can travel around the world faster than the time that local authorities can contact the family.

We have thousands of viewers here from all over the world.

Some incidents like the Georgia-Cumberland plane crash is a good example. Not sure how soon it was posted here, but it could have been posted before the family was aware, I am not sure it was, but it could have been a reasonable incident to have happen.

We may have had the news here on an academy fire BEFORE the fire truck had arrived. This happened as the TV helicopter arrived by a few minutes before the fire department.

Where is the balance?

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Moderators

In journalism, one can check to see if the important people have been notified. On the Internet, one can not.

The stories that we post here are already out, and public knowledge, whether or not people have been notified.

Let me give you an example: Yesterday I posted a note about an upcomming legal action. Had the responsible party been served with the legal papers? I do not know. If we were to wait until we knew such had happened, that party could have caused us to wait forever simply be waiting to confirm that they had been served with the legal papers.

Speaking frankly, the comment that I posted yesterday, had been discussed by others for several days. The story was out. I can not say the extent to which the story was either private of public. I do not know. But, I do know that once a story starts making the private rounds, it quickly becomes public.

CA has been responsible in many ways by not posting information that is still private, and has not become public knowledge. But, once it is public knowledge, it is responsible to publish it.

NOTE: Over the past several months, I have been following a story that has evoked much public discussion. During those months, I have contacted an official spokesperson for an involved party, several times, to ask them some specific questions. That individual has come to the point where that person refuses to answer any questions that I ask them. That is their right. But, it makes it impossible to practice good journalism, and it makes them partially responsible for any misinformation that is published.

Gregory

Stan--I'm the first one who posted about the GCA assistant chaplain's death, and when I found out from my friend who works at GCA, the head chaplain was with the family in the NW and had been asked to do the funeral. I actually found out probably 2 days after it happened.

but you do raise a very important and good point.

M

Most of the reputable news reporters may report on a story, but won't mention a name until they find out the family has been notified.

I think the same should hold for anyone on CA, if you want to call this a journalistic endeavor. Otherwise it becomes a gossip column.

Denise

"If you're all God has, is God in trouble?

-- Dr. Frederick K.C. Price

Michelle,

I just moved from Calhoun, GA, back at the end of August. My 19, 21, 23 and 25 year old kids live in Dalton, GA and Collegedale/Chattanooga. News of of the recent tragedies in the GA-Cumberland Conference has come my way very, very quickly.

I noticed that it says you live in Hong Kong, under your name. Do you actually live there, now, yet hear of such news so very, very quickly?