Stan

Death toll rises to 70 in Uganda bombings

By Faith Karimi, CNN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

NEW: Ugandan president: Attacks show "criminality and terrorism"

Group: American killed was working with students

Three bombs struck two venues

National Security Council calls attacks "deplorable and cowardly"

(CNN) -- The death toll from bombings in Uganda rose to at least 70, authorities said Monday, a day after explosions ripped through two venues where crowds were watching the World Cup.

At least 71 people were hospitalized, police spokeswoman Judith Nabakooba said.

"If you want to fight, why don't you attack soldiers or military barracks instead of fighting innocent people watching football?" said President Yoweri Museveni, who on Monday visited a rugby sports center where two of the blasts occurred Sunday.

Uganda bombings: Why the world should care

The casualties included one American death, the U.S. Embassy said. The American killed was Nate Henn, according to an organization that works with children in Uganda.

In a post on its website, the organization -- Invisible Children -- said Henn was in the country working with Ugandan students. CNN could not independently verify the information.

"Nate was not a glory-seeker and never sought the spotlight. He asked not to be made a hero of," the post said. "But the life he lived inspires reflection and imitation."

At least six other Americans were injured.

Mike Hammer, a spokesman for the U.S. National Security Council, called the attacks "deplorable and cowardly."

He said the United States is ready to provide assistance to Ugandan officials.

The blasts hit in the capital, Kampala, within 50 minutes of each other. The first one struck an Ethiopian restaurant in a neighborhood dotted with bars and popular among expatriates; two others exploded at the rugby center.

A senior Ugandan government official confirmed there were three bombs. The second one at the rugby club was the most severe, said the official, who is not authorized to speak to the media because of the sensitivity of the situation.

Immediate suspicion swirled around Somalia Islamist groups. Islamic militants battling Somalia's U.N.-backed transitional government have threatened attacks on Uganda and Burundi, which contribute troops to an African Union peacekeeping mission in Somalia.

"Our first suspicion is that this could be the work of terrorists from Somalia because of our forces in that country," the Ugandan government official said. "There is an investigation going on, our security agencies are analyzing the situation on the ground, but our first suspicion is Al-Shabaab. We've had this suspicion all along."

"We wish to condemn the criminality of these groups," Museveni said. "From my casual look at the scenes, I think the police will be able to reconstruct the crime scene ... We shall go after them because we know where they come from."

The bombings, he said, show the "criminality and terrorism I have been talking about."

In a government statement, Somali President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed also blamed Al-Shabaab, saying he "condemns in the strongest terms the despicable terrorist acts that killed over 60 people in Kampala."

Ahmed said "the fact that the victims were enjoying the World Cup reveals the evil and ugly nature of the perpetrators and the need to uproot from (the) region those who do not value the sanctity of human life," the statement said.

"The president also denounces the fringe Al-Shabaab terrorist groups (who) rejoice of the carnage and stated that Somalia mourns with the brotherly people of Uganda."

Stone Atwine was watching the game at the rugby center when the blast occurred.

"It happened toward the 90th minute of the game ... this loud explosion," he said. "We didn't know what was happening, we were running around, scampering for safety. I saw dead guys still seated in their chairs with blood."

Atwine said a second explosion struck the venue seconds later, knocking out power.

"At that point, we ran off. My friends and I ran into the car and drove off."

Relatives flocked to hospitals and mortuaries to look for loved ones Monday.

"I was watching the game with my brother at the rugby center," said Ian Lule, who was among a group gathered at a city hospital. "The blast left him unconscious. I don't know how he is."

In the capital, crowds huddled around newspapers, talking in hushed tones.

"Everyone is shocked, everyone is talking about it," said Mark Keith Muhumuza, who was watching the game at a stadium near the rubgy center explosion. "We were in panic mode at the stadium because we thought we would be attacked next."

Muhumuza said when the game ended, he went to the rugby center. "People were wailing, some were trying to find their relatives, others were trying to run away from the scene."

The sites of the bombings remained cordoned off as authorities intensified security in the east African nation. Police and military forces patrolled the capital.

"We have more security forces, and are asking everyone to be cautious," Nabakooba said. "We are also asking people to avoid large crowds, but the most important thing is to be cautious."

Some of the injured at the restaurant included six members of an American church mission working with a local congregation, according to the Rev. Kathleen Kind, pastor of Christ Community United Methodist Church in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania.

All the church members were accounted for and families had been contacted, Kind said. Their injuries ranged from broken bones and flesh wounds to temporary blindness and hearing problems, she said.

Nabakooba called the bombings "definite acts of terrorism."

The African Union summit is scheduled to be held in Kampala next week.

Journalist Samson Ntale contributed to this report.

Find this article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/07/12/uganda.bombings/index.html?hpt=T1

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

That's awful.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Administrators

:(

My son works in Kampala at times... and has been caught in riots there.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Talking about my son and Kampala...

The master's program that he graduated from last year is having its residency in Kampala right now (Kevin's was in South Africa). Thankfully the students are all safe.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.