ClubAdventist is back!

The Tea Party and race (again/still)

Tea party rejects NAACP's racism claims, but concerns exist

By Judy L. Thomas

The Kansas City Star

Billy Roper is a write-in candidate for governor of Arkansas and an unapologetic white nationalist.

"I don't want non-whites in my country in any form or fashion or any status," he says.

Roper also is a tea party member who says he has been gathering support for his cause by attending tea party rallies.

"We go to these tea parties all over the country," Roper said. "We're looking for the younger, potentially more radical people."

Accusations about racism within the tea party have rumbled for a year, but they suddenly exploded this week with a resolution at the NAACP convention in Kansas City saying the party is attracting people and groups hostile to minorities.

The allegations prompted irate denials from tea party supporters, and even critics make it clear that they're not accusing all tea parties or party members of racism.

Indeed, it's difficult to answer the racism question because the tea party is split into hundreds of shards, and the issue of racism depends somewhat on perceptions.

Still, it's clear that some with racist agendas are trying to make inroads into the party.

In several instances, tea party members with racist backgrounds such as Roper have played a role in party events. At the same time, The Kansas City Star has found, white nationalist groups are encouraging members to attend tea parties. One organization based in St. Louis is sponsoring tea parties of its own.

"There definitely is racism within the tea party movement," said Daryle Lamont Jenkins, an African-American and a spokesman for One People's Project, a Philadelphia-based group that monitors racism. "I've seen it, and it's something they need to deal with now."

The tea party absolutely rejects the racist label, for a number of reasons.

Many deny outright that any incidents of racism have occurred. They point out that there are minorities in the tea party and that tea parties are endorsing minority candidates in some races.

To read the complete article, visit www.kansascity.com.

Bille Roper Bio from the ADL

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

Two simple words about the Tea party movement.... Mark Williams.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

and here is where you can get information from the horses mouth- Listen to CNN

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Members

Here's how the Tea Party movement got started: the start of the Tea Party Movement

It had nothing to do with race.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

I think everyone in the thread has been clear and consistent, and the NAACP was clear too: the Tea Party movement as a whole is not intrinsically racist, but it does include racist individuals who spread some racist messages. The NAACP simply said that the Tea Party leadership ought to disavow and condemn those racist elements.

They really shouldn't have had to ask...

Truth is important

I think everyone in the thread has been clear and consistent, and the NAACP was clear too: the Tea Party movement as a whole is not intrinsically racist, but it does include racist individuals who spread some racist messages. The NAACP simply said that the Tea Party leadership ought to disavow and condemn those racist elements.

They really shouldn't have had to ask...

Does the NAACP include racist individuals who spread their racist message? "Kill white babies" comes to mind.

Wonder when and if the NAACP will simply disavow and condemn those racist elements that call for the killing of babies and those white women on the arm of a black man?

The tea party movement has explained and explained and condemned those that bring a racist agenda.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Ok, so let me get this straight, Bonnie....

These New Black Panthers, whose members number the total people you can fit into an SUV [maybe two], who have the freedom of Speech to say that they think some black guy needs to kill a few white babies, who have been allowed by FauxNews to obtain the microphone a couple of times,

are more scary to you

than the thousands of people carrying signs that advocating things that are just as illegal, just as horrendous, are far more likely to cause a civil war and are showing up in the mainline news sources......

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill....

George Bernard Shaw

These New Black Panthers, whose members number the total people you can fit into an SUV [maybe two], who have the freedom of Speech to say that they think some black guy needs to kill a few white babies, who have been allowed by FauxNews to obtain the microphone a couple of times,

are more scary to you

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Again,the Black Panther's are not the mole hill to most people.

Those so worked up over the billboard and have no problem with the following really need to get real.

rom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This article is semi-protected until July 28, 2010 to prevent sock puppets of currently blocked or banned users from editing it.

New Black Panther Party

The New Black Panther Party (NBPP), whose formal name is the New Black Panther Party for Self-Defense, is a U.S.-based organization founded in Dallas, Texas in 1989. Despite its name, NBPP is not an official successor to the Black Panther Party.[2] Members of the original Black Panther Party have insisted that this party is illegitimate and have vociferously objected that there "is no new Black Panther Party".[2] The Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center identified the New Black Panthers as a hate group.[3][4]

The NBPP attracted many breakaway members of the Nation of Islam when former NOI minister Khalid Abdul Muhammad became the national chairman of the group from the late 1990s until his death in 2001. The NBPP is currently led by Malik Zulu Shabazz, and still upholds Khalid Abdul Muhammad as the de facto father of their movement.

With the Panther Party in shambles, in 1987 an alderman in Milwaukee threatened to disrupt white events throughout the city unless more jobs were created for black people. A "state of the inner city" press conference in 1990 at city hall brought this situation to a head as the alderman, Michael McGee, announced the creation of the Black Panther Militia, which inspired Aaron Michaels, a community activist and radio producer, to establish the New Black Panther Party.

Michaels rose to widespread attention for the first time when he called on blacks to use shotguns and rifles to protest against the chairman of a school board who had been taped calling black students "little niggers."[5] In 1998, Khalid Abdul Muhammad brought the organization into the national spotlight when he led the group to intervene in response to the 1998 murder of James Byrd, Jr. in Jasper, Texas. He also made the NBPP well-known for their vehement school board disruptions and public appearances.

Philosophy, ideology, and criticism

The New Black Panther Party self-identifies with the original Black Panther Party and claims to uphold its legacy. It also says that many others see the organization this same way. But the NBPP is apparently largely seen by both the general public and by prominent members of the original party[2] as illegitimate. Huey Newton Foundation members, containing a significant number of the original party's leaders, once successfully sued the group, though their ultimate objective in doing so — to prevent the NBPP from using the Panther name — appears to have been unsuccessful. In response to the suit, Aaron Michaels branded the original Panthers "has-been wannabe Panthers", adding: "Nobody can tell us who we can call ourselves."[6]

Although it says it sees capitalism as the fundamental problem with the world and "revolution" as the solution, the new party does not draw its influences from Marxism or Maoism as the original party did. Instead, in a carefully-worded, roundabout form of ethnic nationalism,[7] they say that Karl Marx based his ideology and teachings on indigenous African cultures, and that the NBPP therefore need not look to Marxism or Maoism as a basis for their program, but can look to ideologies that stem directly from those African origins. The NBPP says it fights the oppression of black and brown people and that its members are on top of current issues facing black communities across the world. Also, it points to not all of its members being NOI, though the group acknowledges universal "spirituality" practices within the organization.[8]

Over time, many groups subscribing to varying degrees of radicalism have called for the "right to self-determination" for black people, particularly US blacks. Critics of the NBPP say that the group's politics represent a dangerous departure from the original intent of black nationalism; specifically, that they are starkly anti-white, and also anti-Semitic. The NBPP is considered by the Southern Poverty Law Center to be a "black racist" hate group, and even many of the mildest critics of the organization have said that, at the absolute least, the NBPP's provocative brand of black supremacy undermines other civil rights efforts. Members have referred to "bloodsucking Jews", and Khalid Abdul Muhammad has blamed slavery and even the Holocaust on the "hooked-nose, bagel-eating, lox-eating, perpetrating-a-fraud, so-called Jew"."[9][10][11]

The Southern Poverty Law Center, a NBPP critic, has pointed to NBPP members stating sympathy or understanding of Kamau Kambon's advocacy of the genocide of whites[citation needed], and Khalid Abdul Muhammad in his statement that "there are no good crackers, and if you find one, kill him before he changes."[12][13][14]

• Moderators

These New Black Panthers, whose members number the total people you can fit into an SUV [maybe two],

LOL.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

So Mr Williams has been expelled. So can any of you tea party supporters out there tell me why?

Einstein

So Mr Williams has been expelled. So can any of you tea party supporters out there tell me why?

I would imagine because of what he posted.The other tea party supporters probably thought it was stupid and tasteless however it was meant.

Wonder if the NAACP would have done same to the disguisting black panther member if given the opportunity.Or maybe a stupid and tasteless post ranks higher than killing whie babies

• Moderators

I would imagine because of what he posted.The other tea party supporters probably thought it was stupid and tasteless however it was meant.

Just can't admit the obvious can you? It's not that hard. Give it a try. Just for me.

Einstein

Originally Posted By: bonnie

Just can't admit the obvious can you? It's not that hard. Give it a try. Just for me.

What is it you would like me to admit?

The satire or whatever was very close to what had been stated by a black man concerning the aims of the tea party movement.

Was he a racist?

He felt that the tea party movement as definitely racist as they were after the spending on entitlements and such.Claiming it would hit minorities the hardest.

Do I know the man that wrote the satire did so because of racism or because of what he observed? No I don't.

At the least it was tasteless and stupid in this political climate,at it's worst it would be racism.

One thing I do know tho,if you have no problem with "killing white babies" your angst over the satire doesn't mean much.

Racism/bigotry didn't seem to be in your vocabulary when conservative wheel chair confined man was assaulted by those opposed to the tea party movement.

You keep digging for every imagined or real, subtle, or blatant racism you will find it.If it isn't racism, by the time it is done it will be.

As a whole and at it's aim the tea party movement is not racist. Except those black conservatives get a good dose of it when they come in contact with a black liberal.

• Moderators

That there has been instances where racism has been evident in the tea party movement.

Einstein

• Moderators

Wonder if the NAACP would have done same to the disguisting black panther member if given the opportunity.Or maybe a stupid and tasteless post ranks higher than killing whie babies

Didn't Fox report that the NAACP denounced the BP comments? You may have missed it.

Einstein

Originally Posted By: lazarus

That there has been instances where racism has been evident in the tea party movement.

There has been incidences of racism in all walks of life,including I am sure in the tea party movement. It is not typical nor is it sanctioned,agreed with by 99.9%

I am not so quick to say I know who is responsible.The left had been quite vocal about infiltrating the tea party movement and casting a very negative view of them.

I really believe that you and others of like mind only care about the one side of the issue. Getting bent out of shape over a billboard and ignoring the actions of those that were/are obviously always trying to stir the racial pot

• Moderators

Quote:

There has been incidences of racism in all walks of life,including I am sure in the tea party movement. It is not typical nor is it sanctioned,agreed with by 99.9%

Here is the equivalent of what you said: "people lie all the time so I'm sure Richard Nixon lied at sometime or other"

Einstein

Here is the equivalent of what you said: "people lie all the time so I'm sure Richard Nixon lied at sometime or other"

• Moderators

Who is blaming all Tea party activists? Not me. Will the Tea party condemn the racism within it ranks? Finally it did buy expelling a spokesman. Are you willing to condemn the racism within the tea party/ I don't know why even now you are not willing to do it. I guess folks for the most part don't like to condemn themselves.

Einstein

Who is blaming all Tea party activists? Not me. Will the Tea party condemn the racism within it ranks? Finally it did buy expelling a spokesman. Are you willing to condemn the racism within the tea party/ I don't know why even now you are not willing to do it. I guess folks for the most part don't like to condemn themselves.

The intent is to cast a cloud over the tea party movement and make it about themselves.

What is it you want me to say.

I anticipate within a group that large and that diverse you will find just about any behavior known to us.

I don't feel that is a issue with the vast majority. I probably can find a racist,a wife beater,a tax cheat etc with in the tea party activists. Within the NACCP I can probably find a racist,a wife beater,a tax cheat etc

I don't have a problem condemning racism,I do have a problem with someone like yourself that apparently wants everyone to fall on their sword over one side of racism and not their own.

You seem to have difficulty declaring the actions of the black panthers what it is. Killing white babies is about as racist as you can get.Those not having a problem with that and strongly denouncing the racism and worse really have no moral right to be demanding suhc from anyone else.

Just in case you have not understood it when it was said before

Racial discrimination is not only morally wrong as far as I am concerned,but it is just plain stupid.

What else would you like me to say?

I believe about the same for those that are hunting under every rock and cranny to see if it can be made racist.