ClubAdventist is back!

Should we clap after Baptisms?

Woody

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Overaged

• Woody

• Tom Wetmore

• Dr. Shane

• Members

WOODY

WE you have the same poll 2 times

and I think you should have had a 3rd

choice-----maybe

dgrimm60

Yeah dgrimm and they have different results. LOL

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

Why would clapping occur? Who would you be clapping for?

"Yahoo, we catched us anudder 'un!"

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I have to wonder some days at some of the questions people ask. What's the sense?

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

It has become a new practice in some of our churches ... to clap after someone is baptized.

To question our practices ... always makes sense to me. If our practices can't stand up to questions ... perhaps the practices should not be practiced.

I hope I've made myself clear as mud. But if not ... please ask for clarification.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

How about clapping for the preacher's sermon?

Or the prayer if it's really a good one?

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

How about clapping for the preacher's sermon?

Or the prayer if it's really a good one?

The topic I'm trying to get going here is regarding baptism. But your questions would be good subjects for other threads. I would be happy to participate in them also.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I'm satisfied with just one thread on clapping in church. I have no desire to start another one. I prefer "Amen's" to clapping. I personally think clapping is out of place in a church service.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

thanks John.

I believe in Hematology.

Originally Posted By: rudywoofs
Who would you be clapping for?

For the person that did the Bible studies and won the soul for Jesus. tomato

If that person wasn't present ... would you be prohibited from clapping?

I believe in Hematology.

I have no problem with clapping although I think a note in the bulletin "All applause recognizes the work of the Holy Spirit and is not purposed to flatter individuals"

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I have no problem with clapping although I think a note in the bulletin "All applause recognizes the work of the Holy Spirit and is not purposed to flatter individuals"

I think that most thinking people recognize this. But the disclaimer in the bulletin might have to be instituted for the conspiritists.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

If that person wasn't present ... would you be prohibited from clapping?

I think clapping in church is used the same way as in other places-- to show agreement, appreciation or pleasure in what has just happened in front of an audience. I don't think in this case that it's necessary for particular people to be present.

It seems to me that hand-clapping is a superficial gesture in response to profoundly serious spiritual matters.

But at the same time, I can see why a church doesn't want to keep people from expressing themselves spontaneously if they want to clap.

Quote:
I think clapping in church is used the same way as in other places-- to show agreement, appreciation or pleasure in what has just happened in front of an audience.

And what has just happened is that a person decided to follow Jesus. Might be worth clapping for.

What if the person studied on their own without the 'help' of a pastor or any other human? Could we still clap at this person's decision to follow Jesus?

I believe in Hematology.

What if the person studied on their own without the 'help' of a pastor or any other human? Could we still clap at this person's decision to follow Jesus?

Oh no! Clap? Are you kidding? No body is getting baptized without them lessons. They do the lessons. Then they get baptized. Then we can all clap. Any questions?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

I think clapping in church is used the same way as in other places-- to show agreement, appreciation or pleasure in what has just happened in front of an audience.

Originally Posted By: Woody
And what has just happened is that a person decided to follow Jesus. Might be worth clapping for.

That's just it: it's worth a lot more than just clapping. We clap for dog-tricks and for homeruns, etc.

A baptism and a decision to follow Christ calls for more than mere clapping. It calls for prayer, for tears of joy, for sincere "amens," for singing, and for continued expressions of love and support by the congregation.

Originally Posted By: Woody

I think most people do study at least some on their own before acceptance of Christ and baptism. But even if the person has studied before on their own, the pastor or elder still needs to study the Bible doctrines with them.

I would hope that members of the body of Christ would be more in response to a person's acceptance of Christ than mere clapping.

Would we clap for Jesus' suffering and dying on the cross? Clapping just doesn't seem to me to be an appropriate or adequate response somehow to such profound, life-changing events.

• Members

You bring up some very good points John, some that I have not even thought of, like clapping for entertaining dogs, etc. And when you mentioned BB games, I'm not sure that clapping is what they do, they scream and yell. So I was thinking, I guess than that the next step of the progression would be yelling and screaming when someone likes what they've heard or after someone has been baptized.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

TU Precisely!

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

We should do two things after baptisms.

1) Pray for the Holy Spirit of God to fill the new believer.

2) Eat.

g

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Members

2) Eat.

g

LOL

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

2) Eat.

g

I thought we did that already. :)

phkrause

It seems to me that hand-clapping is a superficial gesture in response to profoundly serious spiritual matters.

I don't think you can say this with proof. I really disagree with this statement. I personally don't like most clapping that I have seen and heard in churches; but to be honest - all these is it right to questions are really meaningless. I was at a wedding today in a Presbyterian Church. Just before the ceremony, the preacher stood up and said to us all: "If anyone wants to clap or cheer or whistle or scream" their approval and best wishes AT ANY TIME DURING THIS SERVICE; please feel free to do so."

Both sides of our families are a little "wild" a bunch of truckers, red necks and the like so he knew this would hit a "cultural note" with most everyone concerned. Everyone did start to "roar" and clap, when he said "you may kiss the bride." Some even clapped when I read Colossians 3:15-17. It was a very emotional moment for me and this was their way of relating to it. I saw no problem with any of this. But I do concede there are some types of services/events at Church where no clapping should be happening, and where a different kind of "reverence" is shown.

Some might say I should not have joined in the clapping and the "hooting" but it's funny. Even though I don't usually do it, this time seemed OK.

In the end; I was able to talk to the head Elder of this church about the Great Controversy; and then to the Anglican Priest who also helped the Pastor in the ceremony. The Anglican priest looked at me with tears in his eyes; and said: "I have just been so blessed by our conversation" - for you see, the center of this book is Jesus; and He knows how to pull the heart-strings.

Im sorry; but I did not see any ways that my clapping dampened our message today; but then I would not always be able to say that every time.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ