ClubAdventist is back!

Should we clap after Baptisms?

Woody

Good points - but I have seen some "Ameners" who were really irritating and disruptive.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Overaged

• Woody

• Tom Wetmore

• Dr. Shane

• Administrators

As I said on another thread onthis topic - "Amen" is just a religious expletive.

Among some folk I grew up with and others I hang with from time to time, they might just say a good old cuss word or two to show their agreement or approval with what another has just said. It seems the PC religious thing to do is to just say "Amen!" instead.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

"Amen" is not really an "expletive." It means "So be it."

And I can trust"

But most of the time I don't think anyone actually thinks about what "amen" means, they just say it.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

I think you are right SivartM

And I can trust"

• Administrators

That a word has a definition doesn't mean it is not an expletive. Cuss words have a meaning. But the point of an expletive is that it serves as punctuation and adds no meaning to the statement to which it is added. It is a verbal exclamation mark. And clapping accomplishes the same thing

I am not suggesting that saying "Amen" is bad. I am just trying to put in perspective that it should not be viewed as more sanctimonious or holy that another form of acclamation. If it is done sincerely and from the heart, it matters little whether it is clapping, saying words or sighing and crying.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Tom; I can see the point you are trying to make but I think "expletive" is definitely the wrong word. Most times; it carries a meaning close to the Word Web Dictionary which I enclose below:

Quote:
Profane or obscene expression usually of surprise or anger
It could just as well be called something else other than expletive.

And I can trust"

• Administrators

While the common use is an obscenity or profanity, it is not its primary or essential meaning. The Miriam-Webster meaning:

Quote:
1 a : a syllable, word, or phrase inserted to fill a vacancy (as in a sentence or a metrical line) without adding to the sense; especially : a word (as it in “make it clear which you prefer”) that occupies the position of the subject or object of a verb in normal English word order and anticipates a subsequent word or phrase that supplies the needed meaningful content b : an exclamatory word or phrase; especially : one that is obscene or profane

2 : one that serves to fill out or as a filling

I know of no other single English word that conveys that meaning. So that is the word I use.

During the real baptism in the River of Life, we can only guess if those present will be clapping. I suspect it will be a joyful moment.

There will be ongoing teaching and training for the new arrivals in the Kingdom of the LORD, but I doubt that there will be any counterpart for the churches we attend today.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

Well; you just go right ahead Tom! super

And I can trust"

• Administrators

Why is it that when the the one speaking says "Amen" it indicates he is finished speaking, but when the ones being spoken to say "Amen" it signals the speaker to say more?

Does it really signal the speaker to say more? I thought it was because we live in a very narcissistic society, and the speaker is going to finish his/her speech no matter how many times the audience may point out a better ending.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Administrators

So true! :smilewink:

In some churches, some members of the congregation hold a conversation with the preacher..."Amen! Hallelujah! Preach it, Brother!" Not the WASP churches so much, unless there is a special Amen corner set aside for those rare few who wish to have a dialog with the preacher while he is preaching.

We might wonder if Jesus received applause following his healings and competition during his sermons. I suspect he might have "shushed" his overzealous admirers. Since the Spirit of the LORD performed the "miracles", I don't believe he would have accepted praise from anyone while on Earth.

Flattery has no place in the Kingdom. Flatterers are fickle...they're your best friend one moment...your worst enemy the next.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

Someone said that Amen is a cussword?

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

Yes. According to Tom who has redefined it for us. I think the word he used was "expletive." stars

And I can trust"

• Administrators

reyes

Actually I think the Miriam-Webster dictionary is considered to be a conservative dictionary...

Here is a news flash for those who insist on living in a simplistic binary world -

Many words in the English language have multiple meanings.

reyes

• Moderators

We might wonder if Jesus received applause following his healings and competition during his sermons. I suspect he might have "shushed" his overzealous admirers. Since the Spirit of the LORD performed the "miracles", I don't believe he would have accepted praise from anyone while on Earth.

Flattery has no place in the Kingdom. Flatterers are fickle...they're your best friend one moment...your worst enemy the next.

I think your perception of what the Bible says, in this instance, is culturally conditioned.....

Luke 19:37 Then, as He was now drawing near the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works they had seen, 38 saying:

“‘Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the LORD!’[d]

Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”

39 And some of the Pharisees called to Him from the crowd, “Teacher, rebuke Your disciples.”

40 But He answered and said to them, “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.”

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

Yep. Danged inconvenient how that Jesus guy keeps on thwarting our assumptions! bwink

Truth is important

• Moderators

We should do two things after baptisms.

1) Pray for the Holy Spirit of God to fill the new believer.

2) Eat.

g

Last Sabbath after the church service, we had a picnic at the mountain park. We ate first, THEN had a baptism at the falls.

Maybe they sneeze.