ClubAdventist is back!

"Out of the Cities"

abelisle

For the same reason you leave the shell of the nuts, and peal pineapples :). You don't have to eat the bad parts. You can just dispose of them and eat the good stuff.

But egg yolks are a good source of lutein...

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerr

• fccool

• phkrause

• SivartM

Why are we arguing about egg nutrition again? :\

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Administrators

Are we getting off on a tangent? lol

If I was to steer us back onto the subject, I'd say something like, "Do they eat more eggs in the city or the country?"

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Originally Posted By: SivartM

Are we getting off on a tangent? lol

If I was to steer us back onto the subject, I'd say something like, "Do they eat more eggs in the city or the country?"

The country. Everyone in the country raises chickens. That's why the city is better, because Ellen advises to avoid eggs.

Just tagging on here...

I've worked in the city, and I've worked in the country. I have family members who live in the country. I'm based in the outer suburbs where "city" meets "country", and city people move to escape the rat race while being close enough to essential services. I've had a chance to observe quite a bit about both lifestyles.

I don't know if this is equally true in the USA, but certainly here in Australia, on just about every measurable statistic that has to do with health and quality of life, the country comes out worse.

Education (or lack of). (Un)employment. Life expectancy. Prevalence of mental illness, depression and suicide. Alcohol and drug abuse. Rates of cancer, heart disease, just about any other disease. I cannot think of one of these areas where the country compares more favorably than the city.

The country is not the place it was 100+ years ago when Mrs White was around.

Country folks send their kids to the city to get the education and employment opportunities that they cannot find in their home area.

If you feel led by God to move to the country, maybe it is in order to reach out to the community there and provide something (spiritual, social or physical) that they need, rather than to seclude yourself and your family in your own little fortress where the big bad world cannot taint you.

Just my AU$0.02 worth .

AJ

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

• Members

Aldona is right...it's the same where I live here. The only exception is that the country doesn't have smog - but it *does* have smoke from field burning and forest fires (which we've had plenty of so far this year...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I was born and raised in NYC and spent about 40 years of my life there. In the process I took my family there (wife and 3 children). Later we moved to the country far from NYC. The influence of the country children was much, much worse and damaging than anything we had encountered in NYC. My wife and I are now living in a beautiful area amongst the Amish and love it very much but, I don't think that this has anything to do with a saving relationship with Jesus Christ. God's grace is available no matter where a person lives otherwise there's something wrong with it. Many of the NT churches were found in some of the most ungodly places. Where do you propose city dwellers move to. Will the church buy thousands of acres to relocate all the members living in the large cities? How will they support themselves when many in the country are moving to the cities to find jobs? How are city folks suppose to grow food, etc. when they are totally unprepared. There's no way a person can live 100% without dependency upon outside sources. Even the Amish can't do it. Times are changing. The population is increasing. Jobs are scarcer. LIfe's a lot more complex than reading something that was written 100 years ago and trying to apply it to the modern world we live in.

• Moderators

If you really want to know what she actually said about country living, you might want to read it for yourself.

• Moderators

Some of the reactions here reminds me of Lot's family and relatives' reaction when he told them to get out of Sodom.

He must have sounded like a nut case.

Thanks for the "survivalist" info Pam! bwink

Believe it or not, this city boy knows about this stuff - must've been all that vicarious "spec ops" training I've been through. :smilewink:

But I guess my point is that when the really bad stuff happens, I don't think your location will save you. Movibg out of the cities will surely help avoid the riots and mass violence that may occur but as for natural calamities such as earthquakes, volcanoes, massive storms etc. everyone will be affected I fear?

Finally, isn't there a touch of irony in how we as Adventists are waiting anxiously for Christ's second coming with all the endtime events that come with it and some of us are going into survivalist mode at the same time?

Doesn't EGW speak of small cells in the cities in Ministry of Healing?

Alex

This is true; your location will not save you. Some feel that it might or will; but it won't be very pretty when someone in the city finds out about all that food or shelter you have built up in the country.

Ellen White's reference to it all was basically saying that moving out of the cities was a special ministry appointed by God to just the few people who could manage it...some book compilations of her writings are done in such a way as to give the impression that all should do this, which just isn't the case. If you do manage to get out, some sort of ministry in the city should be an integral part of it.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Administrators

I just read this today in Chapter 16 of the Acts of the Apostles:

Quote:
The example of the followers of Christ at Antioch should be an inspiration to every believer living in the great cities of the world today. While it is in the order of God that chosen workers of consecration and talent should be stationed in important centers of population to lead out in public efforts, it is also His purpose that the church members living in these cities shall use their God-given talents in working for souls. There are rich blessings in store for those who surrender fully to the call of God. As such workers endeavor to win souls to Jesus, they will find that many who never could have been reached in any other way are ready to respond to intelligent personal effort. {AA 158.2}

The cause of God in the earth today is in need of living representatives of Bible truth. The ordained ministers alone are not equal to the task of warning the great cities. God is calling not only upon ministers, but also upon physicians, nurses, colporteurs, Bible workers, and other consecrated laymen of varied talent who have a knowledge of the word of God and who know the power of His grace, to consider the needs of the unwarned cities. Time is rapidly passing, and there is much to be done. Every agency must be set in operation, that present opportunities may be wisely improved. {AA 158.3}

It's a HUGE job! Who else will do it if not for us?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

I just read this today in Chapter 16 of the Acts of the Apostles:

Quote:
The example of the followers of Christ at Antioch should be an inspiration to every believer living in the great cities of the world today. While it is in the order of God that chosen workers of consecration and talent should be stationed in important centers of population to lead out in public efforts, it is also His purpose that the church members living in these cities shall use their God-given talents in working for souls. There are rich blessings in store for those who surrender fully to the call of God. As such workers endeavor to win souls to Jesus, they will find that many who never could have been reached in any other way are ready to respond to intelligent personal effort. {AA 158.2}

The cause of God in the earth today is in need of living representatives of Bible truth. The ordained ministers alone are not equal to the task of warning the great cities. God is calling not only upon ministers, but also upon physicians, nurses, colporteurs, Bible workers, and other consecrated laymen of varied talent who have a knowledge of the word of God and who know the power of His grace, to consider the needs of the unwarned cities. Time is rapidly passing, and there is much to be done. Every agency must be set in operation, that present opportunities may be wisely improved. {AA 158.3}

It's a HUGE job! Who else will do it if not for us?

Excellent post Gail. People need to stop taking quotes, Bible verses and other instructive books out of context. It would be a great benefit to all. Thanks for this post.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}