ClubAdventist is back!

150 Years for the name SDA

Woody

From Jim Nix: "October 1, 2010, marks the 150th anniversary of choosing the name 'Seventh-day Adventist.' The Sabbath closest to the actual anniversary date is October 2, 2010. We're working on ways to help all our churches and other institutions worldwide to commemorate the adoption of our church's name. But more than just balloons and cake, we are suggesting that Sabbath, October 2, 2010, be a time for reflection as to what being Seventh-day Adventist means today - for each of us individually, as well as collectively. It is worthwhile occasionally for all of us to take stock of what being a Seventh-day Adventist means, including looking at the impact that our local congregation, church school, hospital, college or university is having on the community where it is located."

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

oh, I thought the thread was about a possible name change!!!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

I completely agree with Jim Nix about the importance of reflecting on the meaning of being an SDA.

There's a sense, though, in which we really don't have that much to celebrate about. The pioneers would have been utterly shocked to know that the church is still on this "old earth." We should and could have been in heaven a long time ago.

My grandfather preached until about 1915 that Christ would come before the death of the generation which saw the stars fall in 1833. That was the common message of the pioneers.

Later he changed his message and said that everyone who saw the signs happening in World War I would live to see Christ come. He believed that at the time he wrote his autobiography in 1952, the last year of his life.

I wish I could talk to him about the second coming. The truth is that "time" has nothing to do with it. The generations that believe "time" was important were greatly mistaken. It has to do with the spiritual condition of the church.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

oh, I thought the thread was about a possible name change!!!

That's an interesting thought.

Do you have any suggestions? Perhaps 150 years is enough.

Is our name out of date?

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Well it might be 150 years for the SDA name but all the other churches have us beat.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

A lot of people in society today do not know what an adventist (with a lower case 'a') means. I think when our name was selected, a much larger portion of the population knew that an adventist is one that believes in the second coming of Christ. So our name "Seventh-day Adventist" actually told the community about who we were.

I really like the name "Hope" that was chosen for our TV network. I think it tells society today what our name told society 150 years ago. Being an adventist is about living with hope.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

But our church name was chosen to show our uniqueness... back then a lot of Christians didn't believe in the Sabbath and were postmillenialists... now most of them are adventists like us. Being an adventist isn't very unique anymore.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

Excellent point SivartM.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

And as has been pointed out in another thread, with over 500 other churches keeping the Sabbath, our uniqueness on that point has been diminished. Also kind of messes with that whole Remant theology stuff...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Yes Tom. And most of them probably claim to be the 'remnant' also. Some even have that in their name.

I believe in Hematology.

If they keep the Commandments and have the testimony of Jesus, then they are part of the remnant along with us. Glory be to God. Looks like our little light has had quite a bit of influence over the past 150 years.

But our church name was chosen to show our uniqueness... back then a lot of Christians didn't believe in the Sabbath and were postmillenialists... now most of them are adventists like us. Being an adventist isn't very unique anymore.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

If they keep the Commandments and have the testimony of Jesus, then they are part of the remnant along with us. Glory be to God. Looks like our little light has had quite a bit of influence over the past 150 years.
Right on...

And I can trust"

And as has been pointed out in another thread, with over 500 other churches keeping the Sabbath, our uniqueness on that point has been diminished. Also kind of messes with that whole Remant theology stuff...
I don't see how it "messes with all that remnant stuff." The sabbath message is still unique, everywhere you go and the majority of the world, including it's churches actively oppose it in various degrees. It certainly does not interfere with; rather, it re-enforces the Bible doctrine of the remnant.

And I can trust"

• Members

What really makes us unique is our understanding of the sanctuary doctrine. Do you still believe that Tom, or have you discarded it like the whole Remant theology stuff?

I agree with you Richard, but I also believe that the Sabbath is still a unique issue. Even though that site claims there are hundreds of other Sabbath following churches doesn't make it so. The reason I say this is, have you run into any or has anyone else?? I have not, so far only us and the Jews that I have notice! Doesn't mean that there aren't any others. It does show that our influence has been passed on, which is great. And than you have to take in the percentage of the world that that makes.

phkrause

I've heard that most of the other churches who claim to keep the Sabbath, don't really keep the day holy, as the fourth commandment and Isa 58:13 instructs us to do. But instead they treat it like Sunday keepers treat Sunday. You know, go to church, then go to the mall, or out to play golf, etc. etc.

I wonder if that's true. I've never met any other Sabbatarian Christians...

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

Quite true

And I can trust"

• Members

Quite true

Again I ask, has anyone met one? I have been around some 60+ years and have only met my fellow Jews and heard of 7th day Baptists and of course other Adventists. :) And like I said, I could be wrong, but so far no one has said they've seen them.

phkrause

Originally Posted By: Overaged
Quite true

Again I ask, has anyone met one? I have been around some 60+ years and have only met my fellow Jews and heard of 7th day Baptists and of course other Adventists. :) And like I said, I could be wrong, but so far no one has said they've seen them.

For a little while I worked with this guy who was a 7th day church of Christ, or was it church of God. They kept not only the sabbath day, but also the ceremonial sabbath feasts. He was always taking a week off here, and there to keep up with those feasts.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

• Members

For a little while I worked with this guy who was a 7th day church of Christ, or was it church of God. They kept not only the sabbath day, but also the ceremonial sabbath feasts. He was always taking a week off here, and there to keep up with those feasts.

That's cool, so now we have 1, anymore?

phkrause

I once tried to find a 7th day baptist church, but I couldn't do it. This was years ago. I see other sabbath keeping churches in the phone book and on the internet, located in the same general area where I live. Houston is very big and spread out geographically. I know where my home sda church is, and most of the sda churches in the area, and that's where I go.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

My dad left the Adventist church for the Church of God Seventh Day. This was after he abandoned the family and we knew nothing of him. Years later when I caught up with him he told me he switched because he didn't like the Adventist health message. (He smoked and drank) He died of heart failure at age 62.