ClubAdventist is back!

Greenie Nut Takes Discovery Channel HQ Hostage, Killed by Police

bonnie

September 01, 2010

Greenie Nut Takes Discovery Channel HQ Hostage, Killed by Police

Thomas Lifson

"Awakened" by Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth," an eco-nut named James Lee took hostages and held off police for much of the day, protesting the channel's failure to become a complete propaganda outlet for his anti-human, eco-nutty beliefs, that humans are a plague on the planet. Actually, people like Ted Turner say somewhat similar things about humans taking up resources that should better go to animals and forests, and the underlying philosophy he holds is widely shared on the eco-left.

Were this man a follower of Rush Limbaugh or any other conservative, the calls for censorship would be deafening. I don't propose silencing Gore, but the apocalyptic (and fraudulent) vision he enunciated certainly has the potential to affect the vulnerable among us, driving them to believe that only extraordinary actions on their part can save the planet from the demise which surely awaits. Remeber the Unabomber?

In the end, when Lee appeared ready to use his gun on hostages, Police were able to shoot and kill him. That is unfortunate, because it would have been interesting to hear Lee defend himself by citing the greenie sources of his dementia. But thank goodness no innocent parties were harmed in what must have been a severe ordeal.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Administrators

I think it rather unseemly to turn the tragic consequences of someone's mental illness into a partisan ideological rant...

The dead body is not even cold before the vultures circle.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I think it rather unseemly to turn the tragic consequences of someone's mental illness into a partisan ideological rant...

You are entitled to your opinion. I believe it is rather unseemly for some to show such piety now.

Remember the man that shot the abortion Dr? Other acts that were thought to have been committed by a right wing nut or had been.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Administrators
saywa

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

saywa

I will go one ,two three for you so you can't pretend you don't understand.

I think it rather unseemly to turn the tragic consequences of someone's mental illness into a partisan ideological rant... You lack the expertise to determine if someone is mentally ill or not.

Being a fanatic does not indicate mental illness. Wanting your few minutes of fame is not mental illness.Some people are just plain evil,not necessarirly mentally ill.

The tripe he posted and spouted can be found to be believed by other fanatics of the same mind set. That isn't new

When have you come to this kind of quick defense when a conservative fanatic goes over the top? I don't believe you have so your concern for for this poor mentally deranded man doesn't come across to some as sincere.

It is only because your left fanatics are in a bad light

• Administrators

reyesbigsigh

OK. Take a deep breath. Do a bit a basic research. Then post.

Before you go off on a typical reactionary rant, if you had been paying attention to all the news reports you would have known that it was widely reported (This is local news here, so we have had coverage both on the national and local news. The Discovery Building is just down the road from my office...) that James Lee has had a history of mental illness. And the Police report was that he had become increasingly and dangerously irrational just before they shot him. That is not my opinion (Even though I do have a degree in Psych) or wild bleeding heart left wing notion. It is reported fact.

reyesbigsigh

OK. Take a deep breath. Do a bit a basic research. Then post.

[Tit for Tac mode-on]

I have and did read,saw nothing to indicate any knew thru medical treatment of this man.

Being a fanatic with bizarre ideas does not always mean mental illness.Read Al Gore's garbage. This man did.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

[Tit for Tac mode-on] Just a correction,it is tit for tat

Ok, 2 points here...

1'] Bonnie, you have taken various people to task, me being one, for not taking the time to google various words to learn more about a subject...such refusal to google, according to you, amounts to just plain laziness....hence, inappropriate information to make one current on current events...So, to quote one person on this board-

................Google it!...............................

You and Tom must like the ASSUME. Perhaps you missed this....I have and did read

Nothing i read prior to posting that or since indicates anyone

with personal or medical knowledge this man was menatlly deranged.There are many fanatics in the world,this one seemed infatuated with Al Gore nonesense.So what? A lot of you are.

Nor are all that take hostages to draw attention to themselves mentally deranged.

His stance on issues is not new or earth shattering.There are org that do believe in stopping human reproduction and I doubt the numbers are all crazy.

Let me repeat for you,I did read and have read more.No one has the expertise to make claims concerning this man's behaviour.

Quote:
Second point] If we substitute the names of "Al Gore's garbage" with "bonnie's posts", a principles emerges....that is, by reading these things, innocent people are known to become crazy or have a "mean mental illness"having read "bonnie's posts"...To which I can show hundreds and thousands of examples here on ClubAdventist that people do NOT become or have a 'mean mental illness' when reading Bonnie's stuff...although many have indicated that severe confusion does insue many times when reading this stuff...Reasoning backwards, therefore, this man who had the mean mental illness did NOT get it from Al Gore, no matter who alleges otherwise...tain't possible....Only mental confusion is the best we can get...

You are so clever Neil. Your attacks have ceased to bother me some time ago.

Quote:
If you should issue demands, Bonnie, does this mean that there is the possiblity that you could become more agitated and become more mental??? Hopefully, you will not go and hold other's hostage.....

I am not the one that issues demands. I am not the least agitated but you seem to be.There are those that knew him that claim he was influenced by Al Gore.Obviously not knowing him you perhaps know best.

Quote:

And I am very glad that you haven't lost your day job, either.....

[Tit for tat mode-off]

Yes as a matter of fact I did quit several years ago as did my husband and things are fine

There are several such articles that have been posted.

http://www.aim.org/guest-column/hostage-taker-james-lee-al-gore-made-him-do-it/

Hostage Taker James Lee: Al Gore Made Him Do It?

Prime Time Obama: Self-Congratulatory and Self-Delusional

The Muslim Brotherhood, America’s Partner in Government

Obama Blasted for U.S.S. Cole Terrorism Trial Postponement

How I Learned to Love the Bomb

By Jim Kouri CPP | September 3, 2010

A man who was allegedly angry with the Discovery Channel’s environmental line-up, and entered the company’s national headquarters outside Washington, DC and took several people hostage at gunpoint, was negatively influenced by Al Gore’s film “An Inconvenient Truth.”

The suspect — identified as James Lee — also had a “suicide vest” with explosives strapped to his body. A police tactical unit, however, was able to rescue the hostages and killed the enraged hostage-taker.

The three hostages — two Discovery Channel employees and a security officer — escaped unharmed after a four-hour hostage incident Wednesday. Following several hours negotiating with the gunman, SWAT officers moved in when Lee was observed pulling out a handgun and pointing it at a hostage on a CCTV monitor, according to Montgomery County Police Chief Thomas Manger. SWAT officers shot and killed the suspect and rescued the hostages unharmed.

This hostage situation was not the first time Lee had targeted Discovery’s headquarters. In 2008, he was charged with disorderly conduct for staging a “Save the Planet Protest.” In court and online, he had demanded an end to Discovery Channel and The Learning Channel children’s shows. He believed the network should air “programs encouraging human sterilization and infertility.”

“Humans are the most destructive, filthy, pollutive creatures around and are wrecking what’s left of the planet with their false morals and breeding cultures,” Lee wrote on his Internet blog.

On Wedneday, Lee went on his hostage-taking rampage at 1 PM (eastern) and by 5 PM (eastern) a police tactical unit reportedly shot and killed the suspect and freed his hostages.

According to a police source, Lee was influenced by radical environmentalist and author Daniel Allen and former Vice President Al Gore.

According to Fox News, Lee wrote on his blog:

“All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions. In those programs’ places, programs encouraging human sterilization and infertility must be pushed. All former pro-birth programs must now push in the direction of stopping human birth, not encouraging it.”

“It’s interesting that most of the news coverage omits the influence of Al Gore on this gunman. Had he been affiliated with the Tea Party movement or was influenced by Sarah Palin, that tidbit would have resulted in a feeding frenzy. But here’s a madman with a gun and explosives who was influenced by Al Gore and the environmental movement, and the silence is deafening,” said former police detective Sid Franes.

• Members

There are several such articles that have been posted.

http://www.aim.org/guest-column/hostage-taker-james-lee-al-gore-made-him-do-it/

Interesting article, but it only states opinions about his being influenced by AG. Look at the first sentence "Hostage Taker James Lee: Al Gore Made Him Do It" and than a question mark! That tells me there just guessing. From what I've read there is no where this guy mentions he's even read AGs book! Or is there? I could be wrong.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Interesting article, but it only states opinions about his being influenced by AG. Look at the first sentence "Hostage Taker James Lee: Al Gore Made Him Do It" and than a question mark! That tells me there just guessing. From what I've read there is no where this guy mentions he's even read AGs book! Or is there? I could be wrong.

it only states opinions That really is the point isn't it?

I am not sure which article it was in but I believe it did say he read Al Gore's book.

Do you know if this man was mentally deranged,I don't. Could he have been,Of course.But it appears there are those with the expertise to say he was.

Could Al Gore's book or movie had an effect? Yes, to fanatical people I would think so.Did Al Gore by writing that book assume responsibility for how others reacted to it? Don't think so.

But the liberal view is much different. When a tragedy occurs where someone harms or kills another,like the man that killed the abortion DR,the left is there in all their finery.Putting the blame on any and all well known right wing parties