ClubAdventist is back!

Titles

Woody

When did the church start to drop the use of titles such as 'Elder'. When I was younger .... many used the title of Elder. For example: As an ordained elder ... I could be called 'Elder Woody'. But I don't choose to use that title. In past years ... many have. But not now. What has happened to the use of 'Elder'? And why was it dropped?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I hadn't noticed that it had been dropped. But now that you mention it, I haven't actually heard anyone introduced as "Elder So-n-So" in quite a while.

Now in our Sister church, they still introduce themselves as "Brother or Sister So-n-So" and call each other "Brother and Sister". I have always liked that and wish our current church would adopt that way of addressing each other.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Administrators

It seems like familiarization is seen all over these days. Children call adults by their first names more than ever. I feel a twinge when I hear it but it seems to be the accepted thing.

Maybe the practice has drifted over to within the church also.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Good Points Gail and Liz.

I have to admit that I do like some titles. I especially like it that my neighbors children call us Mr. Woody and Mrs. Blanche.

I believe in Hematology.

Since I live in the South, I am more used to children referring to adults by their given names, but with a "Miss" or "Mr." preceding it. It, I think, shows more respect than only calling an adult by their first name. I was taught that we should respect our elders and our superiors. Using titles is one way of doing that.

My nephew was not overly pleased when I told him that I preferred not to be called by my first name by him. Within the family I have a certain slot/status.. For him I can call him by his first name as he is younger than I am. He can call me Uncle Don if he wishes. For him I am Uncle until the day he dies. When I work with young people I am referred to as Pastor Don mostly when they know me well....It is a little less stiff than Elder Don or using my last name. nuff sed

• Moderators

Good Points Gail and Liz.

I have to admit that I do like some titles. I especially like it that my neighbors children call us Mr. Woody and Mrs. Blanche.

How about Father Woody?:)

Ha Ha! yes. "FATHER Woody" sounds good!

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Perhaps I'm a bit old-school as well, as I learned to address my aunts and uncles with the title of their family status preceding their name as well. My Aunts and Uncles will always be addressed as such before I say their first names.

One of them tried to get me to simply use his first name only one time...and I gently told him I could not do that for the deep respect I have for him. No pedestal there, just a deep respect.

My nephews and nieces address me as "Uncle Ted"...it's kind just been that way, and they all use it with respect.

In my church, there is a re-appearing of the usage of the title of elder before our ordained elders' names. In our church school this morning, it was my turn to be the speaker for the children's "Chapel Time". The children all addressed me with the title "Elder" before my name.

Not the pride or pedestal thing, but rather an address of respect. And rather a humbling thing as well, as this morning it reinforced the example I am to be before the children, just by their calling me "Elder".

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

Just don't call me late for dinner....

The how 'bout "Early for Supper" Richard?????

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

Well; how would you feel if you were, (as I was) a "Lay Pastor." And someone came up to you and said: "hey, "Lay Pastor Ted..." Don't titles sometimes become cumbersome? I do agree with you though; it is best to use them, where/when possible as a token of respect for one another...

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Well, I wouldn't want to be known for laying.

I believe in Hematology.

Ha Ha! yes. "FATHER Woody" sounds good!

I don't care for this title. But in the First Volume of the Testimonies ... our prophet Ellen White voiced approval for calling spiritual men by the title of Father ...

I believe in Hematology.

Woody,

Please, be more specific about your statement. I sssume you mean Volume One of for the Testimonies for the Church. If it is, I did not get the same meaning as yours. Can you tell me the page and the exact title of the book to which you are referring?

Won