ClubAdventist is back!

What kind of example is this for SDA youth?

abelisle

Quote:
My father wasn't an Adventist until after my brother and I were adults... My brother is an SDA ordained minister.

While your story is touching, it is anecdotal. Some years ago Christianity Today did a study where they showed the importance of the godly father in the home. I don't remember the stats off the top of my head but it was something like 80% of children raised in a home where both parents attended church on a regular basis would themselves continue in the church as adults. If only the father attended church that dropped to around 55% and if only the mother it dropped to somewhere around 20%.

I see many faithful Adventist families in Mexico send their children to public school because they cannot afford and Adventist school and the children grow up and remain in the church. The problem is that if the family makes enough money but doesn't place a high priority on Christian education, the child see that and themselves don't place a high priority on spiritual things either.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Members

threadjacked.gif

I don't remember the stats off the top of my head but it was something like 80% of children raised in a home where both parents attended church on a regular basis would themselves continue in the church as adults. If only the father attended church that dropped to around 55% and if only the mother it dropped to somewhere around 20%.

I find that VERY hard to believe. In fact, I *don't* believe it. It doesn't bear out what I have observed during my lifetime (and I'm older than you). The majority of my classmates from SDA elementary school have left the SDA church. More than half (and probably more like 3/4) of the student body had both parents attending church.

And your statistics look flawed anyhow. Christianity Today is hardly an unbiased source of information.

backtopic

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

backtopic

Quote:
Jermaine said jokingly that his father, Christopher Lawrence, a cross-country truck driver, is more lenient than his mom about basketball on Saturdays. But the youngster is still confident that his mother will change her position.

"Right now, it's an argument every week," he said. "But down the road, I think she'll understand."

Father is lenient Adventist and mother is dedicated Adventist.

Quote:
A study published in Homemade magazine in May 1990, stated an interesting statistic. According to a study, in Christian families where both parents attend church regularly, 72% of children remain in the faith. Where only the father attends regularly, 55% of children remain faithful. Where only the mother attends regularly, only 15% of children remain faithful. And where neither parent attends church regularly, a mere 6% of children remain in the faith.”

http://www.intheagora.com/archives/2004/12/the_influence_of_fathers/

The influence of fathers is a very big issue. Look at this story. The father is a compromiser and, as an over-the-road truck driver, is absent from the home.